PDA

View Full Version : Steven Stahlberg Online Workshop - Modeling the Female Form - Few Spaces Left!

Leonard
01-04-2006, 11:16 PM
Hi all,

Due to the overwhelming popularity of his first two courses Steven Stahlberg has agreed to host Cybergirl III

http://www.cgworkshops.com/courses/000012

Cybergirl III- Modeling the Female Form

Accurate and evocative depiction of female form has challenged artists since mankind began drawing - from Botticelli to Rembrandt, Matisse to Cezanne, Brom to Vallejo. In more recent years the rise of the Cybergirls, Cyberbabes and Cyberchicks has added a new genre. However the challenges remain the same, how to best depict alluring and beautiful women? Over 8 weeks Steven Stahlberg will outline the basic elements required to model, texture and accessorize the female form in 3d. The course will cover referencing, anatomy, polygonal framing, topology, modeling, texturing, workflow, accessorizing and joint deformation.

Begins: 16 January 2006
Ends: 13 March 2006
Sessions: 7
Active weeks: 7
Fees: USD $399.00 (5% discount for CGSociety Members)
http://www.cgworkshops.com/images/spacer.gif
Maximum Students: 25

19 December 2005 - 13 January 2006

More information and Enrollment Details here:
http://www.cgworkshops.com/courses/000012/

" I'm just finishing up on Steven's workshop this week, and it's been an incredible experience. Probably the most concentrated learning I've done in CG, and I'd recommend it to anyone".
Richard Nichols, Student, Cybergirl I

" I have said it before in other threads but want to repeat it: terrific course, very high-detail advanced knowledge you share here. I will certainly need a few months before I have worked all that into my own stuff."
Oliver Wuensch Student, Cybergirl II

http://leonard.cgcommunity.com/cybergirl.jpg (http://www.cgworkshops.com/courses/000012/)

DaForce
01-05-2006, 01:40 AM
online!!! pah... make a dvd of it :-) then you have my custom.
But i guess you cant charge $399 for a dvd can you :eek:

Some awesome work tho... truly brilliant renders

Leonard
01-05-2006, 01:46 AM
online!!! pah... make a dvd of it :-) then you have my custom.
But i guess you cant charge $399 for a dvd can you :eek:

Some awesome work tho... truly brilliant renders

In a workshop, you are paying for the interaction with the instructor -- Steven's time. His critique on your work and how to improve customized to you is far more beneficial than a DVD or book (which we do have btw - d'artiste: Character Modeling features Steven's tutorials and work).

Cheers

Leo

DaForce
01-05-2006, 01:51 AM
That is true... i was being fairly light hearted tho. I realise its more expensive for very good reasons.
I think i have that book as well :D
But the tuts in that book are kinda... semi tuts.

But i think a DVD of his tuts would be great.

se7enthcin
01-05-2006, 04:44 AM
I think it sounds wonderful and would love the oportunity. Let me see if I can dig up 400 bucks. :D

mike0006
01-05-2006, 06:31 AM
I agree, Gnomon should give him a call and work something out. Sadly, I do not have that kind of money at this time. Would love to take this workshop though, it sounds great. Mabey he'll do another one later when I have $$$!

SteveIacopetti
01-05-2006, 09:47 AM
If I weren't going to college right now I would jump at this opportunity.

-Steve-

Janek
01-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Hi, Steven! I cannot join now (inculuding march - i have too much work to do). But I really want to join next course. Maybe u should do it by yourself on your website? It's expensive a little bit but i'm sure it's nice piece of knowledge. Good luck.

PereBalsach
01-05-2006, 01:04 PM
I want to join to the online course. I hope in 4h I could enroll, becouse now I'm working and I can't do it.

Please book one for me :cry: I'll do it as soon as I can

Aridiel
01-05-2006, 04:20 PM
i really wish i could do this, but here in the third world, the 400$ becomes 1200$, unfortunably thats what i get for a month of work so... Keep learning those who can!

by the way, awesome work

mzee
01-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Can someone discribe how this course will "work".
At which time it starts?
Are there Live-Streamings?
Or Chats, Special Threads,...?

Must everyone on the same time be online(concerning diffrent timezone's)?

3dtutorial
01-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Well, as I see it this course would be an outstanding value at twice the price. This is a fantastic opportunity to learn from one of the very best artists working in this genre. I understand and appreciate that $399 is not a small amount of money -- but what an opportunity!

Seems like a good value for money to me and I know Steven is certainly worth every single penny.

Regards,

/joe

renatolbs
01-05-2006, 04:26 PM
girl sexy 3d, is beatifull:applause:

Stahlberg
01-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Hi,
basically it's a special forum, with the only members me and the 25 students (and a couple Ballistic admins). One sub-forum for each week's lecture, one thread per student. At the end of the lecture some tasks or goals are given, then the hard work starts - for both the students and me. I'm usually online practically all my waking hours - 16-17 hours, plus weekends (of course with some minor exceptions). :) Students post work and/or questions, I reply as soon as I see the post - usually within the hour, if I'm awake - sometimes only with text, sometimes with images, like for instance paint-overs, sometimes with Maya scene files.

The paint-overs are an important part of my workshops. We use a custom-made java app that allows me to give very quick and easy paint-overs online, allowing me to do a lot of them in a short time.

edit:
Thanks Joe! :)

Haroon
01-05-2006, 04:50 PM
But will it cover breasts?

BoydLake
01-05-2006, 06:04 PM
I love to see Stahlberg's work as much as anyone, but how about showing us work by some of the artists that have taken the course, since taking said course?

polygun
01-05-2006, 06:22 PM
I use 3dsmax, I know Mr. Stahlberg uses Maya. Will it be easy for me to follow the instruction even though I use different software?

polygun
01-05-2006, 06:30 PM
Ok im going to sign up, but i have some questions.

1. Is it ok that I use 3dsmax?
2. I poly-by-poly model. Will this be a problem? Im comfortable with that type of modeling
3. I havent seen any other workshop. If I sign up for this one, will I have missed alot from the other workshops or does this workshop cover the same topics as the last workshops?
4. Just comfirming, but the courses are one topic per week? So we attend the lecture and work all week on the subject while posting progress shots?

Thanks for the answers in advance

grafi
01-05-2006, 07:52 PM
3dsmax will probably be fine, if you read the student requirements:
Level of Ability Students are required to have a good understanding of the fundamentals in illustrating the human form and should be proficient with the operation of Maya or their 3d modeling application of choice.

Stickman116
01-05-2006, 10:33 PM
How are the lectures presented? Are they forum posts with images? Do you need to be online at a specific time for the lecture? Thanks.

Stahlberg
01-06-2006, 03:28 AM
how about showing us work by some of the artists that have taken the course, since taking said course?

Here's one I found, hope he doesn't mind I link to it here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=270848&highlight=Stahlberg

Will it be easy for me to follow the instruction even though I use different software?
Yes. Much of it is theory, art, proportions, anatomy, sculpting, polygon topology. But there is also some technical cg stuff, like when I hand you my skin shader. Those who don't use Maya of courses won't be able to plug and play the skin shader, those who use XSI and Max may be able to use it after some work, since it's Mental Ray after all, but I cannot guarantee that, nor can I help you very much when you inevitably run into technical issues... Generally speaking, I'm not my best in the technical arena. I've developed what you might call a certain amount of 'street-smarts' or 'survival skills' in this area, but of course I can't compete with even the most junior TD. :)
I poly-by-poly model. Will this be a problem?
I'll present you with my method, and you can choose how you want to model. :)
will I have missed alot from the other workshops
No, the others were almost exactly the same as this one.
we attend the lecture and work all week on the subject while posting progress shots?
Sort of. I have merged lecture 1 and 2, and 3 and 4, because the actual modeling is what takes the group the longest, and they need more than 1 week for that.
How are the lectures presented? Are they forum posts with images? Do you need to be online at a specific time for the lecture?
It's an html file, image and text, nicely presented by the staff of Ballistic. No need for certain hours, as a lecture goes online, it stays online for at least 2 months.

zugok
01-06-2006, 03:32 AM
I just signed up. I am really looking forward to this class.

The timing could not be better, as the place where I work just finished up a long project on Jan 3, and I will have some to to relax.
Have any of the students of the previous two classes posted feedback in the forums? I did a seach and did not find much? Has any of final character images from students been posted on the forum?

Thanks!

:-)

polygun
01-06-2006, 04:38 AM
Thanks for your answers :)

I see that the course is all full now. Is there ever dropouts, or will I need to wait until the next time you hold a course (if there is another one)? Too bad, I was excited but wanted to ask those few questions first.

Stahlberg
01-06-2006, 04:59 AM
Sorry about that...
No, so far there haven't been drop-outs, but if there is I'll let you know. Yes I'm fairly sure I will do at least one more course, later (date not decided). It's like mountain biking, lots of hard work but enough fun that once I've had a chance to recover I'm ready for another. :)

chrisWhite
01-06-2006, 05:49 AM
If you do one over the summer I'd love to take it, nice way to work up to my character modeling class I'm sure. Not to mention your skin shading :drool:

polygun
01-06-2006, 06:32 AM
Sorry about that...
No, so far there haven't been drop-outs, but if there is I'll let you know. Yes I'm fairly sure I will do at least one more course, later (date not decided). It's like mountain biking, lots of hard work but enough fun that once I've had a chance to recover I'm ready for another. :)

Thanks, I would really appreciate that. I am glad there will be at least one in the future to look forward to.

Revliss
01-07-2006, 12:41 PM
to every one who have signed up have fun and try to learn every thing you can .i have been in the last workshop and learn a lot of theory, art, proportions, anatomy, now my my model look a lot more better form the theory i learn ,hi Steven can i send you some of my new work for Crits :D ,the last one form the workshop have go boom (some way at thr arm and i don't want to re-rig every thing) so i am modeling a new one .

Stahlberg
01-07-2006, 02:12 PM
can i send you some of my new work for Crits
you can post it here
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=108412
more people than just me give crits there :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-07-2006, 02:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.