PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestion for animation treatment

dominicqwek
11-27-2002, 03:35 PM
Hi guys, i would like to seek some sincere advice and opinions. What are your thoughts on 2d & 3d characters interacting with each other? Say i have a plain bg and 2 characters, both are 3d modelled but one of em is cel shaded. Btw, this is for a 40sec animation seq. Do you guys think that doing this 2d/3d interaction will mislead the audience away from the animation itself?

Or should i just stick to all 3d rendered? Note i do not have textures on the characters as such, they might look plain. Tho again i am stressing on animation.

Kindly give me your comments. Tks.

goosh
11-27-2002, 04:56 PM
Interesting..

I would say... it depends :)
Basically, it could be pulled off.. but I'm not sure..

Image this... live action people interacting with cartoons? Do you really thing it could work and be pulled off... personally, just cold thinking about it, I would say no, it would look weird.. but then I go and look at Roger Rabbit and it worked great!! so it can be done... (so my original thought was wrong)

My suggestion would be to try it... you have both 3D characters anyway, so you could always re-render the 2D one..

I thought you were going to animate one in 3D and the other in 2D... That would be more complicated... (and you never know.. the results might work)

As far as having a 2D BG.. I've seen in done very nicely, so that I know it can work without too much trouble..

I hope that helps

Goosh

dominicqwek
11-27-2002, 05:19 PM
Yeah, i have tried it. Its looks fresh at least from the normal nicely litted 3d stuff u get. The problem is im afraid that this might snatch the audience's attention. My main focal point would be on the animation, and rendering it 2d would mean:

1) detail would be lost- u can hide all your distorted faces after that painful rigging session.

2) would u want to loose that detail? haha, i mean after spending so much time on modelling your character u would want it to shine in gloriously litted 3d right??

Anyway, i've chosen to stick to 3d. It looks whole somehow or rather. Do check out the animation i posted. You might as well have a link ..here ya go.

Animation(17M/DivX) (http://www.geocities.com/dominicqwek/demontestgi.avi)

Cya

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.