PDA

View Full Version : ultimate avengers movie

laureato di arte
01-04-2006, 04:19 AM
there is a trailer on the site, looks like they are going for more of an anime style.

http://www.ultimateavengers.com/

Solothores
01-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Nice setup, but where is Charles Bronson?

rogfa
01-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Nice. Thanks for the news. Hmmm... I wonder if they are going to mention the Ulitmate version of Hulk likes to eat people?

kaiser_pro
01-04-2006, 01:13 PM
more to the point, where is diana rigg? :twisted:

Slurry
01-04-2006, 01:25 PM
That looks cool. Hopefully it has a compelling storyline.

I'll rent it or pick it up in a couple of months.

Art

T Bomb
01-04-2006, 06:37 PM
From what you can see of the trailor, it looks like it might follow some of the comic. The Ultimates were AWESOME!

Frank Lake
01-05-2006, 05:42 AM
Ok.

NOT HAPPY.

Ultimate Avengers shouldn't be animated it should be done with real actors and have at least an R-rating for it's high-level of violence(the Hulk eating people & aliens) and mature language(they have some of the best banter!). The entire point of marvels 'ultimate' series was to revamp the characters with more maturity for it's older audiences at least they could've followed through.

That animation is 70's - early 80's levels. Even if it's 'unfinished' it reminds me of the 70's Hulk animation. ONLY remotly -goodthing- I've seen is that they didn't drop the strong black lines like most of the anime has.

greynite1
01-05-2006, 06:54 AM
There is too little dialogue to tell anything really

70s to 80s animation dude I think thats way harsh.

There is good detail and the motion looks pretty darn good but this is just the preview
so again we will have to see

I would like to take note that MOST of this is Directly the Ultimates not the original Avengers. most of the character designs are from The Ultimates and it seems that the Story itself will follow the Ultimates Comic book which is GOOD because its one of the best super hero books out there right now.

Go marvel I hope this works out. :)

MrPositive
01-05-2006, 08:09 AM
I'm reading the comic book right now. I hope the movie is more understandable hahaha

Kid-Mesh
01-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Actually for other reasons I was very happy to see this. As of late we have had two artistic mediums struggle something fierce and that's 2D animation productions and the comic book industry.

I hope that this may become a trend because it truly helps both. If you notice this is going direct to DVD and that's fine. If it does well then hopefully some more "2D" projects via comic books can get plugged....Thank you SONY & MARVEL. As Disney aka Dixar :twisted: isnt the end all be all for 2D animation proudctions. 2D animators still need "legit" jobs doing what they love.

Also, this would be a cool way to re-jumpstart the comic book industry. There are alot of talented writers, artists, inkers etc in the field. Plus alot of key people have disappeared such as Joe Mad, Long Vo, and Dreamwave prod just to name a few due to lagging sales. The stories available rival alot of the crap that makes it to the silver screen. So maybe...just maybe a few can get plugged as 2D animation productions and drive a new generation to actually picking up something to "read" then just surfing the web all day. :thumbsup:

cookepuss
01-28-2006, 06:47 PM
Hopefully it has a compelling storyline.
It does actually. Pick up the trade paperback for Marvel Comics "The Ultimates". The DVD is the same story as the 1st story arc. Having seen a preview in Wizard Magazine, it looks like they've even directly translated many of the key frames & sequences.

70s to 80s animation dude I think thats way harsh.
Not really. Okay. Its not as bad as 1970's Hanna Barbera stuff, but it's barely at 1990's X-Men the Animated series quality. I did hear that they mixed in some CG, but the overall quality is more or less Saturday mornin fare. That much is apparent, even from the trailer.

For Marvel's first showing with their new animation label, this is kinda pathetic looking. I know that the story will more than make up for it. That's the only reason I'm going to get the DVD.

Ultimate Avengers shouldn't be animated it should be done with real actors and have at least an R-rating for it's high-level of violence(the Hulk eating people & aliens) and mature language(they have some of the best banter!).
I disagree. While an Ultimates story does seem to fit well within the R end of the ratings spectrum, Marvel's trying to reach a broader audience. Given the nature of that story arc, its easy enough to trim some of the excess while preserving the nature and spriit of the story. Its not as if they're trying to tone down their Mature audiences only "Supreme Power" to a PG audience. Ultimates is already rated with Marvel's equivalent of PG-13. The rating for the DVD is more or less appropriate.

As for animated VS live action, have you ever seen the unaired Justice League pilot for CBS? I fear that, with poor handling, an Ultimates movie would look like that. :) Seriously though, the choice was made mainly since other studios already optioned the live action rights to many of those characters include in the Ultimates. Plus, doing an Ultimates live action movie with Hulk would create conflict because of the eventually forthcoming Hulk 2. I sincerely doubt that Eric Bana would appear in a team movie. Casting somebody else would just create confusion.

The entire point of marvels 'ultimate' series was to revamp the characters with more maturity for it's older audiences at least they could've followed through.
No. Actually, the purpose of the ultimate series is to revamp the characters for a post-1906's world. The fact that they draw in older readers is really more of a side effect, as there's more of a realistic and less spandexy approach to the storytelling.

Also, this would be a cool way to re-jumpstart the comic book industry.
No real need to, as the major comic companies are actually quite profitable - for the first time in years. The 90's were bad for comics because of oversaturation, poor quality control, and excess. Lots of comic stores closed as a result.

There has been substantial evidence to show that film adaptations do not lead to long term gains in comic sales. In particular, Marvel has been unable to translate the popularity of either the Spider-Man or X-Men films into more monthly readers. In part, its due to the social stigma attached to comics - that they're just for kids. More over, its due to such a different level of newbie friendliness. A movie is self-contained and designed to attract a broader audience. As such, it paints things in broad strokes. A comic is more like a soap opera. It builds on 40+ years of continuity and demands that you read consistently. Futhermore, comics are designed around story arcs. A typical arc is 6 issues long. A comic is more of a slow burn.

cookepuss
01-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Btw, Kid Mesh, Joe Maduiera is back at Marvel - exclusively I believe. Coincidentally, his first project will Vol. 3 of The Ultimates. I've seen some of his new designs. Spectacular. It won't as realistic as Bryan Hitch's work, but it is definitely a much more mature and refined level of quality for Maduiera.

Comics have attracted a lot of new talent lately, especially from outside of the industry. Stephen King's got a new Dark Tower series in the pipeline at Marvel. "Lost" co-creator Damon Lindelof has got a new Ultimate Hulk VS Wolverine limited series out. Joss Whedon's writing Astonishing X-Men on a monthly basis. Bryan Singer has a 12 issue run of Ultimate X-Men in the works. "Babylon 5"'s J. Michael Straczynski has been writing Amazing Spider-Man for years now. The "OC"'s Allan Heinberg is on Young Avengers. "X-Men Evolution"'s Craig Kyle and Chris Yost are writing New X-Men. Plus, there are lots of new, rising artist and writers such as Billy Tan, Jim Muniz, Robert Kirkman, Ed Brubaker, & Sean McKeever to spice things up.

Its actually an exciting time for comic fans again, especially those Marvel & DC lovers.

Kid-Mesh
01-28-2006, 07:34 PM
cookepus: That's good to hear but it still remains to be seen. I mean alot of comic shops are just still shutting down. I really hated to see Dreamwave shut down too. Hopefully Pat Lee will return.

But wow, so Joe Mad is back doing the ultimates eh. Well lets hope that BattleChasers #10 is right around the corner :cool:

Thanks for the info bro...

cookepuss
01-28-2006, 08:12 PM
In past 6 years, I've gone through 5 different comic stores. 4 of them either shut down or switched locations. At least in NY, I think that some comic shops are closing due mostly to rising prices. As of April, the cheapest Marvel comic will be $2.99. That's a far cry from the $0.75 I paid when I started collecting 20 years ago. While that may seem reasonable given inflation, not many people can afford to spend $36-$45 on the average 12-15 issue annual run of one title. To be honest, I spend that much a week. I'm not even the worst offender. I've seen guys purchase 2x that on a weekly basis.

A lot of the smaller comic stores support themselves by selling sports memorabilia. Its those profits that keep them open. To boost comic sales, they often offer a 10%-30% discount on all new books. If sales of sports memorabilia declines then so does their profit margin, which is itself decreasing annually due to the rising costs of rental property.

The comic store I go to now, Jim Hanley's Universe, has managed to survive 20 years for 3 reasons. 1) Location. Its across the street from the Empire State Building. 2) Selection. It offers about three to five times the number of books in your average shop. 3) Promotion. JHU's often has creator & celebrity appearances. When the Fantastic Four movie came out, the whole cast showed up. Because of things like this, they do great business. They don't have to sell sports memorabilia or offer discounts to survive. They just have to be open.

When I heard from my last local comic shop was closing down I found out that the profit margin from comics is pretty small. You'd have to be JHU in size just to survive on comics alone.

Ultimate Avengers in itself might be cool, lackluster animation aside, but it won't do anything to stimulate sales. $3 per 22 page book is quite a problem. Publishers have even been forced to use lesser quality paper just to sustain that "low price". DC's upcoming 52, which is to be a weekly series, will end up costing readers $130 for the complete story. I sincerely doubt that even a live action Justice League movie could attract new readers to a $130 investment.

Its not necessarily a great time for smaller stores. I think that's ultimately a good thing though. The business model needs to change. The notion of a local comic book store is such an underground thing. Its way 1980's. The industry and licensed properties have grown too massive to be relegated to local status. Considering that comics have expanded to other forms of media such as movies and games, I think that the future of comic stores lies in larger chains. What the industry is missing is the Marvel equivalent of the Disney Store. Given how much money Marvel alone has made off of its movies in the past decade, this oversight is shocking.

victor
01-29-2006, 05:51 PM
looks like they are going for more of an anime style.
I definitely wouldn't say that.

If anything, the animation and style really reminded me of the G.I.Joe cartoon.

bigbad
01-29-2006, 11:25 PM
Whats up with the Giant Man? Does everything on him get giant?

ReBootedOne
01-29-2006, 11:53 PM
:applause: Cookepuss: I would LOVE to see a Marvel Store!

-eric

Emmanuel
01-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Nice cel-shading on the characters, does anybody know what package they used ? XSI ? Max ?

Darktwin
01-30-2006, 07:11 PM
good thing its a straight to dvd release, looks like a flopper to me.

Tim-Gibson
01-30-2006, 11:02 PM
MNice cel-shading on the characters, does anybody know what package they used ? XSI ? Max ?

wtf? You're kidding, right?

Frank Lake
01-31-2006, 01:43 PM
wtf? You're kidding, right?
Yes he is.

Kid Mesh, if Joe Mad is drawing The Ultimates it's doomed, it's art is a cornerstone along with it's mature writing(Joe Mads art is stlye-bound and nothing more). NOBODY wants that lazy guy on the book, and nearly everyone at my comic store feels the same way. EVERYONE who reads it is very nervous about the upcoming change of writer and artist. I'd rather have a skilled artist like Jim Lee on this book instead of the flash in the pan that Mad's been.

Teyon
01-31-2006, 02:06 PM
Actually, Joe's been working on making his style less cartoony. It's by no means "realism" or even attempted realism like Hitch's work was but the few sketches I've seen of his take on the characters says he's matured as an artist. I may actually pick up a copy of Ultimates just to see what he does with it. I've read a few of them in the past but never liked them enough to actually buy 'em.

Frank Lake
02-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Teyon, true he has been progressing as a 'pure' artist. You can see the changes on his website. But that's only a side point because it's a near total change of creative talent on the book, something I wish American comics would get away from.

slaughters
02-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Ok.

NOT HAPPY.

Ultimate Avengers shouldn't be animated it should be done with real actors and have at least an R-rating for it's high-level of violence(the Hulk eating people & aliens) and mature language(they have some of the best banter!). The entire point of marvels 'ultimate' series was to revamp the characters with more maturity for it's older audiences at least they could've followed through.

That animation is 70's - early 80's levels. Even if it's 'unfinished' it reminds me of the 70's Hulk animation. ONLY remotly -goodthing- I've seen is that they didn't drop the strong black lines like most of the anime has.I agree - It looks like they just remade the "Super Friends" and gave them new costumes.

In the graphic novel:
Giant Man - A second rate scientist and a wife beater
Hulk - Kills thousands of innocents and has to be imprisoned by the good guys - who then hide the fact so their corporation does not get bad PR from the press
Thor - Insane person who thinks they are a God?
Iron Man - Boozing Billionaire who will nail any female on two legs - scratch that - two legs are not a requirment.

It should have been an "R" rated live action flick.

CGTalk Moderation
02-01-2006, 08:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.