PDA

View Full Version : Nitendo DS sales hit 10 million worldwide

RobertoOrtiz
01-04-2006, 03:11 AM
Quote:

" Nintendo Co. Ltd (7974.OS) said on Tuesday worldwide sales of its Nintendo DS portable video game player have hit 10 million worldwide, with about 4 million sales coming from the United States."

>>LINK<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060104/tc_nm/nintendo_dc;_ylt=Akp.auWZcZvJfIgsCLl5Lnus0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg-)
-R

noisewar
01-04-2006, 03:20 AM
Well deserved! It's the only console I've been regularly buying games for, and they do come cheap. Makes mouths happy.

People really underestimated this thing, yours truly included.

Boxsmiley
01-04-2006, 03:23 AM
Wow...Here is hoping that with those numbers companies will take more risk and produce some fun stuff!

I can't wait for Electroplankton...even though it's not a game, or is it?

HappyCookie
01-04-2006, 06:51 AM
That's strange, last numbers I had for Europe were higher than what is said here : 2 million DS sold in Europe at mid-november (console got released on March 2005 the 14th)... That would mean they have already sold more than 11 million DS Worldwide (and even more I think, seing that 1,3million unit got sold in Japan for the last 3 weeks).

SheepFactory
01-04-2006, 06:53 AM
so much for the nintendo haters :)

Rudity
01-04-2006, 07:01 AM
Been playing MarioKart DS to death lately.

10 million units is alot sold. My math skills say that thats alot of money.

SheepFactory
01-04-2006, 07:08 AM
I just read that there is a new castlevania game out for ds anybody played that one yet? If it is any good nintendo is selling one more DS tomorrow.

HappyCookie
01-04-2006, 07:16 AM
If you're talking about Dawn of Sorrow, Castlevania fans said it was as good as the 2D Playstation episode (Symphony of the Night).

heavyness
01-04-2006, 07:26 AM
i've been nothing buy happy with my DS and the games i've played on it. the bad part is, there is like 10 games i still want to get and a handful of japanese games i want to import!

to many good games!

sidenote : the nintendo wifi is doing so well, nintendo has started to sell their USB wifi adapters at best buy (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7621996&type=product&id=1130985379274) [for people like me who's wifi routers don't work]

GrM
01-04-2006, 07:41 AM
Castelvania: Dawn of Sorrow is indeed a great game, and I wasnt even really a Cv person before.

I have to agree with kole, my issue with the DS is still wanting more games. Seems like everytime I read about DS games I see one more that I "need."

SheepFactory
01-04-2006, 07:43 AM
excellent! i am picking one first thing tomorrow. Symphony of the Night on ps1 was one of my favorite games. Wish they made more sidescrolling 2d games for all systems.

PhilOsirus
01-04-2006, 07:44 AM
Wow...Here is hoping that with those numbers companies will take more risk and produce some fun stuff!

Actually, Nintendo devs are not taking risks. Quite the opposite. The only ones really taking risks are the ones producing countless sports titles, FPS, ports, and other games of which the genre is already highly saturated. Making a good game for a handheld platform is not a risk, it's an almost sure seller in the case of the DS, as long as it's as replayable as a game of chess, not some linear spin off crap that MUST be released on all consoles, including handheld consoles.

EpShot
01-04-2006, 08:24 AM
got a DS for X-MAs,

LOVE IT. one of the great thing is the games are only $30 its hard not to stop at best buy on the way home and pick up another game. and they are soo much fun!

noisewar
01-04-2006, 11:37 AM
excellent! i am picking one first thing tomorrow. Symphony of the Night on ps1 was one of my favorite games. Wish they made more sidescrolling 2d games for all systems.

The only annyoing thing about it is a crappy boss killing mechanic where you need to draw a star on the screen. Otherwise, it's pure portable addiction.

Another great title not to be underestimated is Metroid Pinball... I haven't been so addicted to pinball in forever.

R10k
01-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Animal Crossing. For someone who didn't play the Gamecube original, it's like... my second life ;)

JoeBananas
01-04-2006, 01:43 PM
got a DS for X-MAs,

LOVE IT. one of the great thing is the games are only $30 its hard not to stop at best buy on the way home and pick up another game. and they are soo much fun!

Be nice if games were that cheap over here in the uk - DS games are nearly double the price, at 30 (about $53). :sad:

HappyCookie
01-04-2006, 02:29 PM
39 (~47$) a game in France. But it can go up to 50 (~59$) (thank you SEGA for overpricing your Sonic Rush :/ ).

JoeBananas
01-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Ah, I see its probably the whole of Europe then. I don't think Nintendo really cares that much about the European market.

They've got a pretty bad history here of over charging for games. I remember back when the N64 came out games used to cost more than double the price of a PS game. I own an SP, but got fed up with the cost of the games, so decieded not to buy a DS this time round.

eric3dee
01-04-2006, 03:09 PM
In case there any others like Sheep Factory, let me go on the record with a list of reasons why to get a DS if you don't already own one:
1) Mario Kart
2) Animal Crossing
3) Castlevania
4) Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
5) Meteos
6) Advance Wars
7) Kirby's Canvas Curse
8) Nintendogs
9) Metroid Prime : Hunters (coming soon)
10) Sonic Rush

I could go on.
And I'm sure some will say how sad it is that nearly every one of those games (with a few exceptions) is some sort of sequel or IP base... however, that doesn't change the fact that every one of those games are exceptional and are worth buying a DS for. Thats my 2 cents.

Neil
01-04-2006, 03:38 PM
If you're talking about Dawn of Sorrow, Castlevania fans said it was as good as the 2D Playstation episode (Symphony of the Night).

Too bad the same can't be said about Curse Of Darkness :(

Neil
01-04-2006, 03:44 PM
I wonder how many Gameboy Micros have sold. When I worked in retail nobody ever bought one. ever.

JoeBananas
01-04-2006, 04:19 PM
I wonder how many Gameboy Micros have sold. When I worked in retail nobody ever bought one. ever.

Those things are so damn small, just looking at one gives me thumb cramp!

HappyCookie
01-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Ah, I see its probably the whole of Europe then. I don't think Nintendo really cares that much about the European market.

They've got a pretty bad history here of over charging for games. I remember back when the N64 came out games used to cost more than double the price of a PS game. I own an SP, but got fed up with the cost of the games, so decieded not to buy a DS this time round.

Actually, this is the same for all different console games... PSP games are sold from 50 to 60 (60-70$), PS2/GC/Xbox from 45 to 60 (30 for the platinum ones), and Xbox 360's games are at 70 (84$).
Europe is the place where videogames editors get their money back for having low price in Japan and USA...

So I'm importing my NDS games, mostly US versions, saving 8 to 18$ per game...

HappyCookie
01-04-2006, 04:52 PM

403.854 in Japan from early september (release date) to December 25th.

SuperRune
01-04-2006, 05:25 PM

Consider yourself lucky, it's all relative. I order from the UK to save prices. In Norway the games are at 45-55...

Rune

archerx
01-04-2006, 09:59 PM
New console games can cost up too 100 swiss francs here thats like $80.... Thats why I wait for games to go to the bargain bin (metroid prime 2 for 20 francs :buttrock: ) or just buy them used....

I'm interested in a DS but have no idea where to put it, I already have too much stuff to carry around...

noisewar
01-04-2006, 10:03 PM
In case there any others like Sheep Factory, let me go on the record with a list of reasons why to get a DS if you don't already own one:
1) Mario Kart
2) Animal Crossing
3) Castlevania
4) Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
5) Meteos
6) Advance Wars
7) Kirby's Canvas Curse
8) Nintendogs
9) Metroid Prime : Hunters (coming soon)
10) Sonic Rush

I could go on.
And I'm sure some will say how sad it is that nearly every one of those games (with a few exceptions) is some sort of sequel or IP base... however, that doesn't change the fact that every one of those games are exceptional and are worth buying a DS for. Thats my 2 cents.

Ya forgot Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney and Trauma Center, some of the quirkier titles on the DS. And if you haven't played Warioware already... well you need to.

SheepFactory
01-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Picked one up today. castlevania is AWESOME! :bounce:

laureato di arte
01-05-2006, 01:23 AM
I got a ds, and im so glad i do. I have the metroid prime demo, Another Code Lost In Blue, Mario Kart and Nintendogs. Not one of those games has dissapointed me at all, for all those who are interested, in old style of games being improved you need to play another code, using the ds screens reflecting agaainst each other to solve puzzles is amazing, blowing up the balloons with your own breath in mario kart, or breathing oxygen on the fire in lost in blue is so clever. speaking to your dog and it actually understanding what you are saying is classic. Some people have reached insane levels of skill on the metroid prime demo , im gonna get so defeated when it comes online in march.

eek
01-05-2006, 01:46 AM
And from the cave the DS'ers rejoiced yey, yey ,yey!

Must buy animal crossing and nintendogs! must buy...

Ill be seing you guys online in mario cart! hey why dont we have a cgtalk ds get together its got wifi - we can be anywhere!

eek

laureato di arte
01-05-2006, 03:07 AM
And from the cave the DS'ers rejoiced yey, yey ,yey!

Must buy animal crossing and nintendogs! must buy...

Ill be seing you guys online in mario cart! hey why dont we have a cgtalk ds get together its got wifi - we can be anywhere!

eek

I was thinking the same thing, I have to get a wireless network set up1st

eek
01-05-2006, 03:27 AM
you dont, just buy the wireless nintendo usb drive. Whack it in your computer and boom - instant access point!

eek

Sagii
01-05-2006, 03:33 AM
Go nintendo! :D

sebek27
01-05-2006, 03:51 AM
I don't have a DS but the new 2d setup with 3d characters mario game looks sweet:
http://ds.ign.com/objects/682/682879.html

itsallgoode9
01-05-2006, 04:12 AM
just curious about your opinions....do you think the DS has made good use of the fact that it has 2screens, one of which is touch? or would most the games games be just as effective on one? The only thing I have played is the Metroid demo for like 5 minutes at wal-mart, and I hadn't been keeping up with it, so I was just wondering how it's actually been coming along.

noisewar
01-05-2006, 05:24 AM
just curious about your opinions....do you think the DS has made good use of the fact that it has 2screens, one of which is touch? or would most the games games be just as effective on one? The only thing I have played is the Metroid demo for like 5 minutes at wal-mart, and I hadn't been keeping up with it, so I was just wondering how it's actually been coming along.

It really depends on the game. It ranges from games being great regardless of the touch/mic capapbilities, to games being utterly unique because of it. The Metroid demo isn't a very good representation of the DS imo, as the control scheme has been improved.

GrM
01-05-2006, 07:57 AM

There hasn't been a time for me where the two screens didn't seem to work. Maybe not necessary, but it works well with the two of them, even if one is only for showing a map or the sky or item inventory.

Kirby: Canvas Curse is a great example of features on the DS; drawing his path for travel on the touch screen, and the map on the top screen. Castlevania is great with the map on the top screen - no more necessary stop to the action to view the map. In other games... I couldnt imagine playing Meteos without the stylus (it is possible to play with the buttons, but the stylus feels very natural). As laureato di arte said, Lost in Blue and Mario Kart make fun use of the mic. At first I felt kind of silly inflating balloons in mario kart, hunched over my DS, but hey, it works and its fun! I'm not sure if the two screens adds to it, but Sonic Rush is extremely FAST, even for a Sonic game, definitely a good return to form.

I'm a DS addict - own Kirby: CC, Advance Wars: DS, Meteos, Sonic Rush, Animal , Mario Kart DS, Castlevania: DS.
I'm a roommate on my brothers copy of Crossing: WW, and occasionaly play his Lost in Blue.

my $1.02
-g

calimity
01-05-2006, 09:21 AM
argh after reading all this thread i feel like buying a ds but not sure how much i will play it. when do most of you guys play it?

im going too look into buying one after all those positive comments :P

laureato di arte
01-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Yes the usb wifi device, i have been looking all around for that, i guess i have to order it of the net.

Oh and nintendo are releasing another handheld

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=307126

HappyCookie
01-05-2006, 11:23 AM
Let me recap what are the features the DS has compared to the previous portable-gen :

- 2 screens
- 1 touch screen
- Wi-Fi
- Microphone
- Game Sharing (means you only need to have one game for all the players in multiplayer mode)

Now, let's see how those features are used in the games I have :

- Meteos : This Tetris-like game make extremely good use of the stylus and the touch screen. Can be played up to 4 players with only one game, through game sharing. Of course, Local WiFi multiplayer mode. Also possible to upload a demo of the game on another DS, playable until the console is turned off.

- Advance Wars Dual Strike : Maps can use both screens, which implies more strategy ( the sky on one screen, the ground on the other one). When the map doesn't use both screens, you directly have your unit's stats and infos on the top screen, no need to browse through different menus to see it. Stylus is used to move and give orders to your units. Local WiFi multiplayer mode, and game sharing.

- Mario Kart DS : Top screen displays the usual view of the game, and touch screen displays a mini map, showing your opponents, the items they have, the ranking, the various traps that have been thrown at you or on the road... Really useful when you're used to it. Of course, Local and ONLINE WiFi multiplayer mode :D. Game sharing available in local mode. Microphone is used to create balloons in the battle mode.

- Sonic Rush : All the stages make use of the two screens, you go from one to the other during the game, which speeds it even more. Touch screen is used during special stages (those where you gather the Chaos Emerald). Local WiFi multiplayer mode, game sharing.

- Lost in Blue : Touch screen is used in order to search on the ground for food, to build weapons and fishing rod, to hunt, to fish... So many things to do :D. Microphone is used to blow at fire. Top screen displays the health status of your characters.

I have also Yoshi Touch n' Go, Kirby Canvas Curse (gameplay of both games is relatively close and already described in a previous post, local wifi multiplayer mode, game sharing).
Next games I'll buy are Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, Nanostray, Mario and Luigi Partners in Time.

HappyCookie
01-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Nintendo Europe has given its DS sales since the release of the console (March 11th) : 3,5 million.
So, 5 millions (japan) + 4 millions (USA) + 3,5 millions (EU) = 12,5 millions DS sold worldwide.

heavyness
01-05-2006, 05:43 PM
the duel screen on the DS is exactly like having duel monitors at work. all the important things go on main monitor while the second sits around and waits for you to throw some menus on it when your 3D app starts demanding more screen room.

sure, some game don't use the duel monitors, but then again, they don't have to. why force something. but from having something as simple as the map on the top screen helps the game flow [and not breaking the action by hitting START to see the map].

Reepoman
01-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Nintendo Europe has given its DS sales since the release of the console (March 11th) : 3,5 million.
So, 5 millions (japan) + 4 millions (USA) + 3,5 millions (EU) = 12,5 millions DS sold worldwide.

Gamesindustry.biz put the fiqure at 13m.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=13896

kmest
01-06-2006, 03:30 PM
you guys are making me to go and buy one.....ok i'm going:)

laureato di arte
01-06-2006, 11:09 PM
welcome to the fold

archerx
01-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Man I really want a DS now but I have no money for it :(

Oh well..... I'll stop reading this thread now since it makes me sad...

PhilOsirus
01-07-2006, 07:18 PM
the duel screen on the DS is exactly like having duel monitors at work. all the important things go on main monitor while the second sits around and waits for you to throw some menus on it when your 3D app starts demanding more screen room.

sure, some game don't use the duel monitors, but then again, they don't have to. why force something. but from having something as simple as the map on the top screen helps the game flow [and not breaking the action by hitting START to see the map].

For a game like Battlefield 2 you could keep the map on one monitor for example, same thing in Resident Evil. And there can be even other types of gameplay that work with dual monitors. Too bad this can't be applied to consoles in an efficient way.

Neil
01-09-2006, 03:26 PM
For a game like Battlefield 2 you could keep the map on one monitor for example, same thing in Resident Evil. And there can be even other types of gameplay that work with dual monitors. Too bad this can't be applied to consoles in an efficient way.

For a second there I thought you were saying they have BF2 on the DS :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-09-2006, 03:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.