PDA

View Full Version : painting etc on multiple layers simultaneously.

Kevin Albers
01-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Increasingly I work with multiple texture layers in photoshop..layers for diffuse, specular, normals etc. I would love to be able to use some tools on multiple layers at the same time. The most common use would be fixing seams on tiling textures using clone tools. Right now I end up fixing each layer seperately, which results in less than perfect correlation between my spec, normal, and diffuse maps.

Is there some way to paint/clone etc like this in newer versions of photoshop, or perhaps in another application like deep paint 3d?

I know that actions don't record brush strokes, so that won't work. And the "use all layers" checkbox is for something different.

Jack Youngblood
01-05-2006, 06:08 PM
your best bet is to change your workflow a bit.

Do the separations via layer Adjustments (Curves, Hue/Saturation and Levels prob most useful). These can be done to a master layer or 'Clipped' to a separate layer on top.

EG: a bunch of dark lines for some color map features then put an inverse curve to invert the tones for your bump map.

A bit pedantic but workable.

You might also look at layer Blends.

Whipyo
01-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Assuming your color map is RGB and all the other components (bump, diffuse, displacement etc..) are just greyscale maps, there could be a workaround (Dont hold me to this though as I am not at a computer with photoshop at the moment so I can't test it.)

First create all your texture maps as layers. Then duplicate the document and convert it to greyscale. Delete the colour map and hide all the other layers. Unhide the first layer. Go to channels, highlight the channel and in the channel palletes pulldown menu, select duplicate channel. In the window which pops up, select your original RGB file as the destination document. Repeat this process for each layer.

Basically you are just turning each layer into a channel. There are about 5 different ways of doing this so use whatever you find best.

Once all your layers are channels, you should be able to shift select all these channels and then use the clone tool on your seams. You can turn the eyeballs of the channels off if they are too visually distracting.

When finished, duplicate the individual channels to individual documents and save.

It is all a bit fiddly and may not be worth the hassle but if you try it, let me know if it works (or not).

Someone should write a plug-in that allows you to select multiple layers and clone.

Regards

Whipyo

Whipyo
01-16-2006, 05:25 AM
Just tested this and it didn't work as is.

It does work though if you convert from RGB to multichannel mode after you have pasted your layers into channels. You then need to shift-select your channels and clone away!

Whipyo

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.