PDA

View Full Version : Rendering to GIF or PNG files?

griffdrc
01-03-2006, 08:03 AM
Can lightwave render to animated GIF or PNG files? i have version 8 if that helps... if you could just point me in the right direction... thanxs...

blaqDeaph
01-03-2006, 08:18 AM
Yes to both. If you're using the image viewer, choose to save as type PNG. If you want to create an animated GIF, you'd need to set it up under the "animation" tab of the render options window.

PixelInfected
01-03-2006, 07:51 PM
i suggest you to export an image sequence and with external application you can build gif animation or png animation.

best compression and quality of animation is possible only when encoder software can read and check all frames, to build better palette and better delta frame.

if you export directly from lw you cannot setup many parameters that any gif and png encoder can use to reduce size and mantain quality in gif animation.

check on google free gif encoder.
have nice day.

kevman3d
01-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Let me clarify things here, as I feel there's a little confusion going on...

The answer to the original question is No. You can't render to an animated gif or PNG - You can only render to still image formats, or as a movie in Quicktime, AVI, etc.

LW doesn't have a native GIF image saver. It does have a PNG saver though (but only for still images)

As mentioned by PixelInfected, best results would be to render out to an image sequence and then use a 3rd party compiler to build animated GIF or PNG (MNG) sequences - There's plenty about and a quick web search will give you lots of options. Some GIF and PNG animation tools will allow you to convert AVI movie files, so you could also render out to an uncompressed AVI file and reprocess that as a GIF file.

Cheers...

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2006, 10:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.