PDA

View Full Version : Character Animation Reel (video game biz)

foofinu
01-03-2006, 05:51 AM
Hey all,

I've recently finished up work on my latest demo reel, which includes footage from Condemned: Criminal Origins. I also have added a few other cool animations on my site's animation page for those interested. I wanted to share in hopes that you guys might enjoy, as well as receive some valuable feedback.

http://www.foofinu.com/animation.htm

Thanks for your time.

Suryawanshi
01-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Hi Richard !!

I have always loved ur animations :)
one question....i had seen ur last showreel a few months back...
and now this fresh one...wot is it man...
u work for 48 hours a day or something ?
lol :D:D:D
gr8 work and lot of work too .....very koool :D
Cheers !
Sachin S. Suryawanshi

foofinu
01-03-2006, 04:10 PM
lol ... Something like that. :) My next reel should be out in 6 more days, so stay tuned! *joke* ;) Thanks for the kind words, Sachin! It's aways great to know when you work is appreciated.

rvallet
01-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Richard, beautiful reel, such smooth animation. Thanks for showing both the animation before and after the clean up. That's very interesting... it shows part of the process... I like that :)

blz
01-07-2006, 03:44 AM
not bad, in fact, its a very good one :)

foofinu
01-09-2006, 05:29 AM
Glad you enjoyed it! And thanks for the feedback! I was worried about the before and after parts. On one hand, I wanted to show the reason I put mocap on my reel, and on the other, it might be kinda confusing. It's great to hear it's working out! Anyway, if you guys would like to see some of the awesome models from the game, stop on by this post.

Scott's Models (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=307030)

The characters on my reel were made by him.

animark11
01-09-2006, 08:45 AM
this is little off subject but, have you thought how some ppl might find a zip file too much hassle to deal with? sure its easy to unzup it but most employers might not want to go through this process. If its size your are worried about, theres this program called sorenson squeeze which works amazing~ my buddies reel went from several hundreds to like 20 megs.

Great animations btw. :applause:

The Funimator
01-09-2006, 09:16 AM
amazing animation! excellent! :applause::applause:
btw, are those cloth simulation in the animation? or it's keyframed?
:)

foofinu
01-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Animark, GREAT advice. I'll look into the compressor you mentioned. Sounds like it's THE option, but I don't want anyone to have to download a codec. I'll play around with it and see if it would require one. I might also just make the reel into an mpeg, but you're right, something needs to get done.

Finumator. Great name. :) no physics on that cloth. It's all keyframed by hand. I know, seems like a lot of hard work with little payoff. But to be honest, I'm heavy on the art site, and not so much on the tech side, so I wasn't sure how to get physics working in game on a 2 bone chain. (each piece of cloth was 1 bone with an end effector). I also wanted to use the cloth to help define the poses, and using physics would leave quite a bit of that up to the situation or the solver. Ron, one of my coworkers helped me with some of the cloth animation on the staff guy, I did it for the double stick guy.

Lambchopo
01-10-2006, 05:11 AM
Hey Richard,

Its nice to see your new reel finally posted. As I said before, good job man. I can see alot of work behind it. Im sure you're glad its done. Good luck on your next project. Take care.

Col-Phil-Bilko
01-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Hello;

It is great to see some rough Condemed animation work and I must say WOW. It is good to see how it all came together. Keep up the amazing work. I am looking forward to seeing more.

Take care.

animark11
01-11-2006, 01:22 AM
no worries about the codec.

anyone who has quicktime has the sorenson codec. I think sorenson is included in every quicktime version no matter if its a mac, windows or linux. But Id check to make sure.

You said you did the cloth with 1 bone and a effector? how can you control it with 1 joint? can you go into more details about this? I have a flag in my animation and I tried dynamics hair into the joints and the results were mediocre.

foofinu
01-11-2006, 03:44 AM
Hey David, thanks for posting man! And again, thanks for all the positive responses everyone!

Animark, it was essentially 2 bones for each piece of cloth (front, back, left, right). The parent bone placed at the location where the cloth and pelvis met. The second was more of an end effector, placed at the middle of the cloth. I'd animate the parent bone like a pendulum separately on each piece based on what the character was doing. (example: as he halts from a run, I'd swing the pendulum forward as the momentum would have carried it.) Once it looked right, I'd animate the rotation of the effector bone for the secondary motion. As I worked, I'd keep in mind the key poses, and at times would set up the cloth on those poses to help accentuate their silhouette value.

Scott (our modeler) set the verts at the end of the cloth to be 100% weighted to the effector bone, the mid half of the cloth and above were weighted 100% to the parent bone, and there was a fall-off in between. We were very limited by how many bones we could use with our engine, so we had to make due with what was possible. It all came down to finding the best end result, within the little time we had available. I'm sure there's a much better resolution for what you need. You're probably not under the same restraints we were. :)

Also, I just converted the reel into an .mpg format. It's only 52 megs as opposed to the former 74 megs. It's also not in zip format.

Grayscale
01-11-2006, 09:02 PM
you want positive comments, I got one for ya.....you suck. There I said it. It's as positive as I can possibly be.

I'm sorry, I had to take out whoever decided to write that. As always Richard, that was an amazing vid. Great stuff as always!

*does the duck dance*

foofinu
01-16-2006, 08:44 PM
man, *steps back in awe* that's one crazy duck dance! :eek:

Anyway, thanks for posting Ryan! Glad you took out that other guy though... things could have gotten aesthetically challenged (ie. ugly). :D

Lambchopo
01-23-2006, 01:31 AM
Ryan can do the chicken dance and the worm.

CGTalk Moderation
01-23-2006, 01:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.