PDA

View Full Version : Previewing normal mapped environments?

PhilOsirus
01-03-2006, 02:17 AM
I'm making a room with some junk in it, two opened windows, etc. All the objects use normal mapping, but other than actually rendering the scene I know of no ways to get an accurate idea of how it would look in an engine. I have Unreal, but it's Unreal 2, hence no per-pixel lighting support.

BTW, I use XSI and Max (altho I don't have access to Max outside school), so any solution for either package is appreciated.

I can preview the props with Metal Bump 9 shader or directly in XSI's viewports, but what worries me is how it would look in an in-game lit scene, since lighting a low-poly scene with PP lighting is very different than the type of lighting that can be used in a 3D software.

Thanks!

Auctane
01-03-2006, 05:02 AM
I've just started using the Doom 3 engine with Quake 4. It isnt quite as easy as unreal, it requires a little more thinking. I havent set up a shader yet, but I read how and it doesnt seem difficult. I really like the technique for creating high poly environment normals offered by the engine. I am sure when Unreal 3 engine editor is out it will be a breeze.

Mastahful
01-03-2006, 04:13 PM
You could use the Thief 3 editor to preview, its an adopted version of Unreal Ed with advanced lighting and normal map support..

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2006, 04:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.