PDA

View Full Version : Is there any Good videos for Painter?

PB Baller27
01-02-2006, 11:14 PM
I was just curious if there were any video tutorials or really good tutorials(i know back in the main corel form there is already a thread). But the thing is back in that thread the tutorials dont really show you the interface or what to do. They basically say "draw in the rough shape" "pick some dark color and paint on the edge of the character to give shadows" and just lines like that. I mean is there any tutorials that show you real step by steps instead of a tutorial with a sketch pic and then a fully painted picture. Thanks guy if you could help.

Lunatique
01-03-2006, 04:09 AM
Your best bet are the Gnomon videos--ones from Ryan Church and the other great artists who's done videos for them.

CIM
01-03-2006, 06:43 AM
It sounds like you don't know Painter well enough. You might want to try Lynda.com (http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?id=124).

I also agree that Ryan Church's (http://thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/rch01.html) videos are good for learning techniques.

PB Baller27
01-03-2006, 01:53 PM
PERFECT. Thanks guys that was exactly what I wanted.

Crazzy Legs
01-08-2006, 06:01 AM
if you want to be able to come up with good stuff to paint, get away from the computer, grab a pencil and some sketch paper. If you want to know how to use painter quickly then go and get a video or whatever you want to teach you. Chances are though, most of the stuff is exactly the same, just like with photoshop books and tutorials.

Aleks Dragon
01-08-2006, 04:39 PM
I have also seen some Gnomon-Workshop-DVDs from Scott Robertson, James Clyne, Ryan Chrch and Feng Zhu. They are great while you are learning how to work in a professional way. You are learning the procedure. But you don't learning Painter-Basics from ground, only what's important for the current process in the workshop.
When you want to learn in an efficient way, read the "painter IX wow book" from Cher Threinen-Pendarvis. In fact, the title of the book sounds like a title of an profi-book, but it is also good for beginners. If you are new in Painter IX and you read the chapter 1, 5 and 6, you will know the basics about the program, also good tipps and tricks. After that you could start reading the other chapters.
The book consists of short tutorials from different painters. That's why it is a good investment for beginners. I started learning Painter IX with that book and after a short time I know the basics and good tipps, that making my work fast. I am impressed by this book. Really. :thumbsup:

kraal
01-10-2006, 06:05 AM
the book digital character painting by don seegmiller got me up to speed with painter

ashrumm
01-28-2006, 07:04 AM
I just ordered the seegmiller's book, and i would just like to add, as a nube to digital painting the only thing that will improve my learning and understanding of this medium is practice. It is a simple but also complex notion. It seems that many want some sort of secret handed to them but, we nubes should have fun learning and practicing on our own. Of course turtorials will help but they are not omnipotent answers to the advancement of the learning process.

I think all of us learning should not stress ourselves on becoming great overnight we should enjoy the process that in itself is the beauty of art the process. I've just recently had a self discovery of the process of art. So i would just like to close with saying relax learn and have fun. :arteest:

kraal
02-06-2006, 06:24 AM
my answer to this post is assuming you are an artist and have skills already just moving to the digital medium

ashrumm
03-15-2006, 06:57 AM
With that said, yes i was referring to artists who were trying to learn the digital medium, with already some background in drawing or painting.

Imhotep397
03-15-2006, 03:50 PM
I would definitely agree with the notion that the Lynda videos are probably the best first/fresh start and then the Don Seegmiller book is pretty awesome. After that the WOW! books and there's a Wacom Painter/Photoshop book by the same author that might clear up some issues you might have with gesture which isn't addressed in any other book I've seen. The Gnomon videos are really good once you have a handle on the Painter interface, you may even want to look at the Carlos Huante PS video which does a lot with character based painting in Photoshop, but is pretty useful in general.

Terro
03-15-2006, 04:16 PM
I'm still aquaring all my hardware, but with in a month I should start releasing a few full lenght beginner video /w sound on my site. Make sure to check out my Thread for my first 2 short videos. http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=328244

heythatreallyhurts
03-16-2006, 10:33 PM
I've been learning Painter for the past year or so (though it's been on the backburner for most of that because of school), and I've gotten most of my information right here at CGTalk. Normally I just browse or use the search function, but even if I have to ask a question, it's usually answered quickly by Jinny Brown or someone else (but usually Ms. Brown). Here and conceptart.org are, in my opinion, the best Painter resources on the Internet (and among the best art resources in general).

I did order a couple of books, namely Don Seegmiller's character design book and Painter IX Creativity by Jeremy Sutton. Don's book was fantastic, and I'm still working through the tutorials and referring back to it constantly, but I was really unimpressed by Jeremy Sutton's book. I was a total beginner when I bought it, but I had still played around in Painter prior to reading the book. I learned most of what was in the book through trial and error on my own. (It did have some useful tips, but nothing I couldn't have found on the Internet or through experimentation... definitely not worth the $40 I paid for it.) I also found the tutorials rather useless, as I've never used the cloning feature to do a painting and probably never will, yet all the tutorials were just "turn a photo into a painting" dealies.

I'm thinking about ordering the WOW book, but is it a worthwhile purchase for intermediate Painter users? I'm by no means an expert, but I know my way around the program a bit. I initially chose to order Sutton's book over this one, and I'm sore about it. If the tutorials are as good as I've heard, I might just have to buy it.

InfoCentral
03-17-2006, 02:35 AM
http://www.vtc.com/products/painter8.htm

For the complete beginner this is an excellent video tutorial covering all the basics. You can even view the first 90 minutes for FREE!

Mklanglo
04-04-2006, 02:33 AM
I am a newby by all standards with painter and have less than 6 months working with the software on my own, but recently purchased Getting Started with Corel Painter IX from www.corel.com (http://www.corel.com) and was very pleased with the 11 hours of video done by Lynda.com and Jeremy Sutton. I can't tell you how valuable the lessons are and if you go to www.Lynda.com (http://www.Lynda.com) you can also see videos and tutorials on many software titles for free.
Hope this helps...

CGTalk Moderation
04-04-2006, 02:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.