PDA

View Full Version : poppy pole vector

Winner
01-02-2006, 08:09 PM
i`m sure this has been answered before. but im bored....

when i create a pole vector constraint object ( a locator or something ) how can i find out the correct world position that it needs to be before i create the constraint ?

what always happens is this: the skeleton pops to aim towards the pole vector when i create the constraint. I tried creating the locator exactly on the elbow ( for example ) then moving it back along 1 axis, but it always seems to pop... even when the set preffred angles are all set.

i want a way of creating a pole vector object that is actually on the correct vector ! so i can simply create the constraint, and the dependent IK heirarchy will not move at all.

i figured a way of doing this that worked, but its so damn stupid there must be an easier way or a setting i`m missing.

any ideas ?

michaelcomet
01-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Well assuming your joints are aligned properly first and you only rotated them on one axis then, the snap trick would work. But when you snap your locator, you'll want to snap orientation as well as position to the elbow say...then pull it out locally on one of those cross axis.... If your joints or locator aren't aligned then as you pull it out it will start to move.

You can also use MEL and vector math to figure out. If you have a joint chain from A to B to C. Then you could take the world positions of B-A and B-C which are the vectors from A to B and from C to B respectively. Then add those together, normalize that result and that is the world vector direction of the pole...so you could then snap the position to the elbow and then do an xform or move command on the pole object to move it out that direction some amount you want. That's how most auto rig scripts calculate that when they work.

Winner
01-02-2006, 11:04 PM
great, thanks Mike...

I'm on it now....

CGTalk Moderation
01-02-2006, 11:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.