PDA

View Full Version : Dear Anne

allenbussell
01-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Please forgive this thread if it's been posted previously.

http://www.dearannemovie.com/

Wonderful project and beautifully done.

pgp_protector
01-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Someone explain the point of slicing the main page into about 100 smaller images ?

tufif
01-02-2006, 07:24 PM
I saw this posted once before. I'm looking forward to it. I like when animation tries to mimic reality sometimes. I have a friend who got 10 or 15 minutes into the first final fantasy movie before he realized that it was animated. Well, he was pretty high too ;)

ThomasMahler
01-02-2006, 09:26 PM
This looks way better than what we've seen before. There have been some great people working on this project, I hope they get it done.

BillB
01-02-2006, 11:25 PM
That looks amazing, very pretty - hope it goes well.
Kinda wonder why not just shoot the thing, though, if you're gonna go that real!?

tatiana
01-02-2006, 11:30 PM
Someone explain the point of slicing the main page into about 100 smaller images ?

There could be a couple of different reasons for that...but it's generally believed that slicing up one large image into several smaller images enables the page to load faster.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/webgraphics/a/whyslice.htm

t

Layer01
01-02-2006, 11:40 PM
well after seeing the teaser i am still none the wiser as to what its all about lol. some sort of fantasy-war-jewish-narnia!? :rolleyes:
god i hope so, that'd be so damn cool.
But i really REALLY hope the movie isnt as soppy as the trailer, all that gift of hope doorways to soul stuff makes me sick, no freeking subtlety what so ever, and i used up all my anti saccharin sweet pills in chicken little.

but by the looks of its production values it should be interesting, i'll be very interested to see an acctual trailer.

SatoriGFX
01-03-2006, 12:55 AM
well after seeing the teaser i am still none the wiser as to what its all about lol. some sort of fantasy-war-jewish-narnia!? :rolleyes:

Have you ever heard of Anne Frank?

de_tomato
01-03-2006, 01:30 AM
That looks amazing, very pretty - hope it goes well.
Kinda wonder why not just shoot the thing, though, if you're gonna go that real!?
I second that. Probly they just do it coz they can? Or its more forgiveable when theres a mistake in it?

SheepFactory
01-03-2006, 01:42 AM

I take it you skipped a few history lessons?

rblitz7
01-03-2006, 01:44 AM

Woah dude! are you telling me youve never heard of Anne Frank?! What about the Holocaust?!

gavin_hughes
01-03-2006, 01:50 AM
they should change the title to "dear dead robots"

this looks more eerie than PE

de_tomato
01-03-2006, 01:59 AM
Pardon me, but my history classes doesnt mention anything bout her. Oh rite.. I dont live in the US.. duh!

visionmaster2
01-03-2006, 02:09 AM
for some of you, who want ( must )to know : http://www.vhf.org/testimonyviewer/

Layer01
01-03-2006, 02:14 AM

i know who Anne Frank is, probably not as well as you do though. As De_tomato points out, it really inst covered in non US contries, so lighten up a bit, twas a joke:p. and it still doesnt help me understand why this film is 3D. I just cant believe they are going to make a normal live action-like movie..in non live action, a part of me expects there to be some fiction/fantastical element to it seeing as its in 3D.

Because I find it ridiculous that a normal non fantasy movie be made in 3D...whats the point!? It seems like using 3D for the sake of 3D when it really isnt needed. it just seems a bit silly to me to make a war movie, about the love of human kind or whatever in 3d? why not make it live action and let it be 100 times better? it just seems stupid.
seeing as its a serious subject, and now its going to end up in the uncanny valley and turn it into a wartime zombie movie and it probably wont do it justice.
But whatever.

ambient-whisper
01-03-2006, 02:25 AM
its funny because most people that i know of, that know who she is arent living in the US.
infact most people i know of, that know who she is, are most often from europe.

eek
01-03-2006, 02:32 AM
pretty much everyone i know, knows about Anne Frank and 90% of them are in europe.

Anyway de_tomato Anna Frank was the daughter of Otto Frank, they lived in germany during the period of the ghettos and Anne lived and hide in a secret compartment of her fathers house in the annex. She wrote a diary of her life until she was betrayed and caught.

This film is i spose a glimps of certain parts of her diary. Its a nice premise but when i saw the trailer i was put off by the mocap. She had the zombiesque feel to her.

edit:Ambient, exactly!

eek

eks
01-03-2006, 02:41 AM
Anyway de_tomato Anna Frank was the daughter of Otto Frank, they lived in germany during the period of the ghettos and Anne lived and hide in a secret compartment of her fathers house in the annex. She wrote a diary of her life until she was betrayed and caught.A diary, I must add, that's an excellent reading not only from an historical point of view. If she had not died maybe her diary would not be as famous, but for sure the girl would had become an excellent writer.

Back on the CG of it, I agree with Layer01, why make it CG? Even with some strong "not possible in reality" thing it will probably fall deep into the Uncanny Valley just like The Polar Express. Although I understand this guy (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=306160) point, I still don't find it justifiable to do a whole movie this way...

eks

Layer01
01-03-2006, 02:46 AM
pretty much everyone i know, knows about Anne Frank and 90% of them are in europe.

it was not covered in the school curriculum in France and nor was it covered in any of my history classes in Australia, its possible i missed it as i was did half my shooling in france and half in aus....Either way, i do know about her (the basics), just not from history classes.

eek
01-03-2006, 03:20 AM
Did i say anything about learing it in school. I wasnt complaining about not knowing about Anne Frank but the jibe that only people from the states knew about her. I mean Anne Frank is like Florence Nightingale, Martin Luther King, Muhammid Ali there historical icons!

eek

de_tomato
01-03-2006, 03:38 AM
I knew her from google.. so I get the basic idea here.

But with this kind of story, I would love it more, if its not in CG.

eek
01-03-2006, 03:41 AM
wasnt there an actual film about her life?

eek

Stahlberg
01-03-2006, 04:14 AM
Yes, there's been a live action film, and even a 2d animation film... I guess that's why the producers wanted to go with something different this time. Though I agree they should have dialled back a bit on the realism, and kept it some kind of stylization. The main guy behind this, Dario Picciau, made a 3d movie before this that is quite stylized (L'Uovo), almost in a Tim Burtonish way, which I always thought would probably have been better.

Pyke
01-03-2006, 04:17 AM
The reason they are doing it in CG is actually rather clever, if you take a second to think about it.

They want the main character to look like Anne Frank. They dont want an actor who sort-of looks like her, but rather an exact copy (well, as exact as they can make her). Same for the family members, and the Nazi's, and I'm sure all of the 'support' cast are going to be modeled off people that were actually alive in that time.
I mean most people think that William Wallace looked like Mel Gibson.

If I were them, I would have shot live actors and CG'd the heads on (there was a History Channel documentry about WWII where they did this...was extremely convincing)-but maybe they dont have the facility to shoot live action?

Looking forward to it-but it will probably be a direct to DVD release in South Africa, and even then i'll end up ordering it online.

Pyke
01-03-2006, 04:21 AM
...and on a PURELY nitpicking point, (and as far as I can remember. I read the Diary aaaaaaages ago...), should the movie be called Dear Kitty?

gunslingerblack
01-03-2006, 04:40 AM
she's a freaking zombie!!!

didn't we already see this trailer months ago??

Layer01
01-03-2006, 05:27 AM
Anne Frank is like Florence Nightingale, Martin Luther King, Muhammid Ali

the who now?

:D

EDIT:
acctualy when re-reading that quote it sounds really funny lol ;) :p

ManuelM
01-03-2006, 07:31 AM
I have huge doubts, that 3D is an appropriate way, to tell a story about the holocaust and the huge human tragedy and pain related with that topic. don't think i'll ever watch this.

from a technical point of view, the trailer was impressive. where is it being produced? i think a friend of mine told me, that it is done somewhere in italy.

visionmaster2
01-03-2006, 07:42 AM
i dont think there are better medium ( writing, painting, movies, animation...) than others, to tell a story and emotions. they decided to do it in 3d, why not ? they are free, no ?

another things..comparing anne franck and people from the holocaust with freaking zombie,is a bit inappropriate...even if i understand it in a 3d human discution.

opus13
01-03-2006, 07:57 AM
The reason they are doing it in CG is actually rather clever, if you take a second to think about it.

If I were them, I would have shot live actors and CG'd the heads on (there was a History Channel documentry about WWII where they did this...was extremely convincing)-but maybe they dont have the facility to shoot live action?

this really is a waste of animation effort. the film 'the right stuff' had a ridiculously long preproduction stage because they took the time to cast people who a: could act, and b: looked like the actual people being represented. if the producers of 'dear anne' were going for representation, they could have found 'stunt double' worthy people and used minor facial prosthetics to complete the look. chances are, they would have saved quite a bit in time and cost.

the only realistic reason that they went with a full 3d solution is becasue its 'cool' and it will generate press. people will start the same bad "omg! actors arent needed anymore! hollywood is doomed!" crap like they did with final fantasy and polar express. the 3d will get people in the theatres. costumed people will not.

the re-re-re-telling of a scary piece of history will only be successful with a gimmick.

MikeRhone
01-03-2006, 08:14 AM
Im going to play devils advocate here. I personally find the look appealling. It has the same eerie-realism that Silent Hill has. Not to cheapen the movie by comparing it to a video game, but considering the subject matter and story, I think the style fits. Very dark and gloomy.

Nemoid
01-03-2006, 08:37 AM
this movie has been discussed earlier here.

however : i take it as a strong effort for realism in animation, and for doing a serious work in 3D. quite a research work like Final Fantasy ended to be , rather than a normal work. This is the risk at least.

I think this movie has all the possibilities to be very good, but my opinion is that they could have done a better choice making it with non photorealistic characters. stylized ones could serve better a so dramatic story, and also are actually more expressive than real ones.

Since with 3D the real cool thing is that u can use stylized characters, such a movie could miss this possibility.

As an example : a Spiegelman's Maus movie could be way more expressive than a Dear Anne with photoreal chars.
why? because Maus shows simplified yet very expressive characters that are also symbolic : in that graphic novel Jews are Mouses.(Rats)

this being said DA is a movie i will surely go and see and artists involved really deserve congrats for work done so far.

ThomasMahler
01-03-2006, 08:46 AM
Well, I actually think that 3d is indeed the right medium, but it probably isn't the right time to pull something like that off. Having the power to actually let people come to life again is something very powerful - Having the power to portray them in different stages of their life is as well.

But doing a movie like that is a huge pain in the ass for everyone involved, since it's such a labor to get it right. I don't think that we'll see a CGI movie that has a photorealistic look that really shines within the next 10 years. I do think that Dear Anne could do a lot of things right, story, acting/animation, etc., but right now, it still looks way off. This style may work for stills, but as soon as it's animated, there's this uncanny valley thing that just completely destroys the illusion. It's this "well, I can't point my finger on it, but it gives me a strange feeling" thing that will turn people off.

Nevertheless, it'll be another step towards photorealism when it comes to all-CGI movies and I guess that's a good thing. Yeah.

Zenitor
01-03-2006, 09:15 AM

Anyway de_tomato Anna Frank was the daughter of Otto Frank, they lived in germany during the period of the ghettos and Anne lived and hide in a secret compartment of her fathers house in the annex. She wrote a diary of her life until she was betrayed and caught.

This film is i spose a glimps of certain parts of her diary. Its a nice premise but when i saw the trailer i was put off by the mocap. She had the zombiesque feel to her.

edit:Ambient, exactly!

eek
the annex was in Prinsengracht 263 in Amsterdam....

Sherif.Nagib
01-03-2006, 09:38 AM
I just remember some words of wisdom told to us by ed hooks in some acting workshop , he used to describe animators as shamans and the end of the workshop he said " If you wanna show off how you can do hair and water and explosions.. then you're just working to impress other shamans." .. he was speaking about the importance of the story and all the supporting visual elements that comes before the dazzling technicalities.

Now I'm not gonna comment on the point whether 3D suits the story or not, need to see it first . But think of the teaser , don't u think that if youíve seen the same teaser with real actors you'd be bored ?.. I think it's so slow paced, specially the last shot with the camera truck out. It's eye candy to us.. but what about normal people who might not realise this is 3d and donít care ?

I just hope the movie's tempo isn't as slow as the teaser and I hope they focus on the story more than tailoring scenes and scarifying cinematography for showing off.

Best of luck for the team anyways.

Bentagon
01-03-2006, 01:41 PM
What I thought (I might be wrong) was mentioned in the other thread is that they actually did 3D for 3 reasons
- the director had already worked with 3D
- they look like the real persons looked
- it was actually cheaper to produce it in 3D with a small team, than having to set up a whole live-action production

I wish they had chosen a more stylized approach for more expression, but I do like the fact that for once there'll be a serious animated film produced in the "west".

- Benjamin

Teyon
01-03-2006, 02:29 PM
I'd have to agree. It's nice to see a non-comedy movie done in photoreal 3D that at least has the potential of not sucking. I also agree that this may not have been the best story choice, though I do understand the reasoning, since almost everyone billed at the top of the site as "starring" is dead (Emily Dickinson, Aanne Frank, etc.).

My major concerns are that the film will rub folks a bit raw, since subjects like slavery, japanese internment, and the jewish holocaust aren't really things folks want to sit through if the acting isn't up to par (doubly so if the characters aren't real and the acting isn't up to par). It's also likely that many parents will keep their kids away until they know if scenes of violence are shown (the story does take place in a war afterall) or at least it can be expected since they freak out about desensitization when purple imaginary characters are killed in games...just imagine if they looked real and were on the big screen and the same age.

I would have rather this new attempt be a serious but lighter story. Something to help us get it in our heads that just because we aren't used to it, doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. Perhaps a love story or a drama more like 12 Angry Men or something. Not that Anne's story doesn't have merit, it's just that the subject is a bit touchy and if done badly it can turn the "doesn't mean it shouldn't be done" into "just because you can do it doesn't mean you should".

Let's hope the charcter's performances are stellar. Anything less will hurt the 3D industry which I think has barely recovered from the horror of the Final Fantasy feature which tried so hard to be good but fell short because the acting and story had us all confused.

Nemoid
01-04-2006, 06:00 AM
What I thought (I might be wrong) was mentioned in the other thread is that they actually did 3D for 3 reasons
- the director had already worked with 3D
- they look like the real persons looked
- it was actually cheaper to produce it in 3D with a small team, than having to set up a whole live-action production

I wish they had chosen a more stylized approach for more expression, but I do like the fact that for once there'll be a serious animated film produced in the "west".

- Benjamin

The main thing i like is that its an Italian project. here in Italy its the first big 3D movie ever. I'd like it more if it was something lighter, but that's life.
Producer is an hebrew, so obviously the chosen theme is an holocaust related story.

IMO the risk is that this movie will win prizes in festivals,for its theme and for being in 3D, will be seen in schools as part of history lessons, and something like that, but will never be a box office in cinemas.

Since here in Italy there isn't a real 3D industry you'll see the point.
No real commercial success , no industry.

But my hope is that things go differently. Well, we'll see.

PhilOsirus
01-04-2006, 06:54 AM
As far as I know the movie is about what her life could have been like if she had not died. I could be mistaken, but it gives you an idea as to why making it in 3D would be appropriate, so as to keep a consistent feel of her being the same person throughout the story.

Either way I don't see why people have to complain, let them make the movie, and we can hope of a success.

geestring
09-28-2006, 10:35 PM
when is this movie being released?

how come theres zero information about it on the internet?

CGTalk Moderation
09-28-2006, 10:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.