PDA

View Full Version : Crackled Glass texture generator

Poison_Crow
01-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Hello there.

i've searched for this for some time and had no luck, no photoshop plugin, no procedural, etc...

I'm searching for a "root system" that starts on the same point, and then goes dividing and dividing, just like Glass does when "crackled"

Thanks for your time.
Best new year wishes.

joconnell
01-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Heya!

I'm not sure whether the texture will give the correct effect depending on where you are using it. Last time I did this I got an image of cracked glass from getty images or corbis (both sites sell stock photographs but the preview images they have are good enough to use as reference) and then traced around the crack lines in 3ds max to make a 2d shape. Then I extruded the lot to make geometry. Depending on what you want to do, you might be better off going down this way as at least the glass will correctly refract your environment and give you all of that nice internal detail that makes it look correct.

Here's a link to ref images on getty. (http://creative.gettyimages.com/source/classes/FrameSet.aspx?&UQR=kbdary&pk=4&source=front&lightboxView=1&txtSearch=crack%20glass&selImageType=7&chkLicensed=on&chkRoyaltyFree=on)

The other possibility is that I have had to do this effect a few times over the past year so I wrote a little script that will shatter objects for me so if you can wait maybe a week or two I should have the script released.

CGTalk Moderation
01-02-2006, 05:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.