PDA

View Full Version : Worth Joining CGSociety?

Pixelcritter
01-02-2006, 07:38 AM
I've been wanting to for a while, but not sure if it's worth my while to join CGSociety. Can anyone whose already a member shed some light as to the benefits of it and what you think of the whole thing in general. Im so tempted to join it but I don't know if its worth it seeing as how I may not have tons of free time due to school and work so I'm not exactly ready to drop $30. (im practicaly poor...who knew college was sooo expensive)

Thanks

Stefan-Morrell
01-02-2006, 07:53 AM
lot's of good discounts..I got it for the 100$ turbo squid voucher & the discounts on all the ballistic books

well worth it ..if you can spare the dollars

dotTom
01-02-2006, 07:59 AM
Discounts aside, of which I've yet to take advantage, my feeling are that the main point of membership is to help keep the community going. I would hate to lose my CGTalk. I'm not yet at a point where I'm so confident of my own skills that I feel I can offer advice to other artists - so the membership is one way I feel I can give-back.

Digit
01-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Discounts aside, of which I've yet to take advantage, my feeling are that the main point of membership is to help keep the community going. I would hate to lose my CGTalk. I'm not yet at a point where I'm so confident of my own skills that I feel I can offer advice to other artists - so the membership is one way I feel I can give-back.

Agreed. The main point of it for me is to support the site which has given me a lot.

arvid
01-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Same here, I haven't bought any books but at least I've contributed in some small way, apart from my stunning posts on the forum :D ;)

FUG1T1VE
01-02-2006, 12:39 PM
10,000 Private messages, discounts. But really I havent seen the "server too busy" message lately. I guess those 30 bucks helped out, and that was one reason for dishing out the cash.

JamesMK
01-02-2006, 12:47 PM
It's all about supporting the greatest CG community on earth IMO, and to be honest I would have paid even if there were no particular benefits for paying members :shrug:

This vast collection of knowledge and clever members helping out by answering questions or posting mini tutorials etcetera - it's worth a lot more than the odd 30 bucks a year to ensure it stays afloat :thumbsup:

chrisWhite
01-02-2006, 01:34 PM
The discounts are cool, but I agree, I joined simple to support CGTalk, I've gotten so much out of the site, I don't mind paying a little to give something back.

FloydBishop
01-02-2006, 01:35 PM
I joined to help support the forums. I haven't taken advantage of any of the perks yet (like the Boxx discount they had).

Imagine if one day you woke up and the forums weren't around? I've gotten out of many a CG jam because of tips, tricks, or advice from these forums.

Maven
01-02-2006, 02:09 PM
I joined to help support the forums. I haven't taken advantage of any of the perks yet (like the Boxx discount they had).

Imagine if one day you woke up and the forums weren't around? I've gotten out of many a CG jam because of tips, tricks, or advice from these forums.

My reason for joining also. Support your community.

arvid
01-02-2006, 02:24 PM
But really I havent seen the "server too busy" message lately.
Well, I have :D

JamesMK
01-02-2006, 03:06 PM
Well, I have :D
*Flashing my hands in a very dramatic hypnotic gesture before your face*....
No, you haven't. You have not.

kalyse
01-02-2006, 03:09 PM
what are the discounts?

Pixelcritter
01-02-2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks everyone. I was convinced quite early on in the replies. Looks like I'll be handin in my $30. I definitely am thankful for everything CG Talk has taught me, and has yet to teach.

Paypal here I come.

richcz3
01-02-2006, 04:15 PM
I didn't join for the discounts, I did it in part to support CGTalk.
I also had hopes of seeing a professional business discussions side build up. It looked good for a while but nothing ever took hold. The subjects in discussion are more or less the same as you can find here in the regular forums. Attempts to form a Los Angeles CGSociety Chapter went nowhere fast.

arvid
01-02-2006, 07:04 PM
*Flashing my hands in a very dramatic hypnotic gesture before your face*....
No, you haven't. You have not.*repeats in monotone voice* :wise: No I haven't, I have not :eek:

Fahrija
01-02-2006, 07:32 PM
Currently you have the discounts on many products you can buy in the store and the 10.000 mail account. And you get some exclusive articles to read.
As far as I know there are some cool things coming along soon. A very interesting point is the cg-portfolio and there will be a magazine. I donīt know how far the developement about this topics are but thatīs what I know. But maybe youīll refer to Leonard or Mark to get detailed information.

Anyway I joined very early to support the community.

Pyke
01-03-2006, 04:34 AM
I did it for the cool badge next to my name. AND all the *secret* forums.

Squibbit
01-03-2006, 05:58 AM
It's all about supporting the greatest CG community on earth IMO, and to be honest I would have paid even if there were no particular benefits for paying members :shrug:

This vast collection of knowledge and clever members helping out by answering questions or posting mini tutorials etcetera - it's worth a lot more than the odd 30 bucks a year to ensure it stays afloat :thumbsup:

quoted for agreement

MikeRhone
01-03-2006, 08:15 AM
I did it to show support. I owe much of my learning to the site, so as I see it $30 is a LOT cheaper than the books and software I have had to purchase.

m

nemirc
01-03-2006, 02:38 PM
*repeats in monotone voice* :wise: No I haven't, I have not :eek:

I have... and a lot... damn "cg challenge rush hours" haha :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2006, 02:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.