PDA

View Full Version : Text warping.

MadSkillzMan
01-02-2006, 03:44 AM
hi guys. Ive got a weird one for ya.

Im working ona project that will be silkscreened. At the moment i do the work in photoshop in black and white, then throw it in illustrator to make it completely smooth. Im not too good with it yet, so if this is doable in illustrator please just say so.

Basically what i have, is an outline of a guitar body, laying on its side, and where the neck would be, thats facing right. What i want to do, is put text inside of it that follows the curve of the body, but ONLY the top of the text. Similar to photoshops Arch Top tool, but it needs to have that dip in the middle.

and then again, but on the bottom, where the top of the text isnt budged, but the bottom follows the guitars shape.

Any clue how the heck i can do this one?

I tried in illustrator, and thus far ive managed to deform my text to no end.

thanks in advnce guys.

berniebernie
01-02-2006, 05:38 PM
i'm not sure this is what you want, but in illustrator you can type text on a path (and in photoshop since version CS), just select the proper tool (the third text tool), and apply it to the path (you can then edit text properties normally).

http://mlkdesign.online.fr/dump/illustextonpath.gif

halo
01-03-2006, 01:19 AM
the warp tool in either AI or PS CS2 would allow you to do this, the AI route making life easier if your making artwork up for silkscreen.

MadSkillzMan
01-03-2006, 06:42 AM
i just ended up doing it in AI. i had to manually pull the points to where i wanted. time consuming, but it got done.

btw, what format do most screen printing places recommend? Im not too sure how this guy is doing it, he kinda doesnt tell me these details

halo
01-03-2006, 09:56 AM
i'd try and keep it all spline based if possible...although theres nothing wrong with using pixel art for screen printing, it does make seperations and previews easier if your using specials.

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2006, 09:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.