PDA

View Full Version : Block Error on high resolution texture

DAZZAN
01-01-2006, 11:05 PM
This error must be something old to some,but im a newbie at textureing,and im getting what looks like digital dropouts when i go up to higher res,which is what i wanted a 8000 by 8000 very high detail,but this caused multiple blocks to appear,then went to 4000 by 4000 and 6 layers and got to 253.444,and started to get the blocks.

Im on Pcs2,and have 2 gig of ram,plenty of hard disk.

i need to put on more details but im gonna get more blocks.

Is there any way to get rid of these,or any tips.

thankyou.

The enclosed portion of the image has only one block.But i cant edit it as the image was done as a whole and if i try just to match and erase the block it stand out like a sore thumb,which i have done,also im sure after editing the problem and continueing,another block would present itself.

halo
01-01-2006, 11:27 PM
if its permanently altering the file, and not just a gfx card glitch then its a hardware fault somewhere on the data path...hard drive, ram, motherboard, bad cables, bad power supply...reseat, reconnect, disconnect unessential exquipment, test ram and disk integrity.

DAZZAN
01-01-2006, 11:55 PM
if its permanently altering the file, and not just a gfx card glitch then its a hardware fault somewhere on the data path...hard drive, ram, motherboard, bad cables, bad power supply...reseat, reconnect, disconnect unessential exquipment, test ram and disk integrity.

Yes its permenetly altering the file,as its there in render,dont have a lot of eqipment plugged into the pc,so ill start with ram and hd.

windows can check these right,or is there other better checkers out there.

thanks.

funny how it does not do it on low res files ,only on the high res stuff.

Also ps can do super high res without any faults as long as you have the ram?
i mean multiple layers,does it have a res limit?

XepptizZ
01-02-2006, 02:30 AM
With older versions of PS I'd get partially flipped pixels, like a line of pixels, very odd, but CS doesn't seem to have taht anymore.

halo
01-02-2006, 05:16 PM
Yes its permenetly altering the file,as its there in render,dont have a lot of eqipment plugged into the pc,so ill start with ram and hd.

windows can check these right,or is there other better checkers out there.

thanks.

funny how it does not do it on low res files ,only on the high res stuff.

Also ps can do super high res without any faults as long as you have the ram?
i mean multiple layers,does it have a res limit?

its probably down to the fact that the problem occurs on something that isn't used on low res images, which may point to a bad sector on a drive, or a bad bit of ram...

windows can check your drive...you'll need a 3rd party dos checker for the ram. Perhaps your manufacturer has some hardware diagnostic gear to run. 1st thing to do is open her up and double check all the cables etc.

PS can tend to reveal faults with systems that other applications just dont tend to show because it tends to push your machine quite hard and use it in a manner thats not common amongst applications.

PS can handle high res stuff with no ram without any faults, but its slow as it uses the disk as ram. Ps is a pretty solid app and it only tends to fall over due to hardware problems, software/driver conflicts or the very rare & occasional bug. Ram just helps speed things up and a lot, but having more ram will make a system feel more stable and responsive under load.

PS using .psd has a pixel limit of 32000x32000 (you shoudlnt use tiffs if your going over 2gb filesize because of a bug)...if you enable large file support and use .psb then the sky is the limit ...something daft like 300,000x300,000...perhaps more.

DAZZAN
01-03-2006, 09:36 PM
Well i think its the hard drives,both my satas have had a fit and cause my pc to slow down a hell of a lot,after boot up it did a check disk on both of them,and it took forever for xp to load and when it did everytime i moved the mouse it froze foever,so i took both out and it was a really fast boot up,then i put one in fixed the problem in disk management and the system says one of them is ok,the other where i keep my ps files i think is wrecked,and i am trying to get into it to back them up as i type.
I should bloodywell back them up regually,and this has happend because of my lazyness!

I will try to format this disk,,so i dont have to pay for another one,and will see if my problem can be resolved,thank god ive not lost my files or it would take months to get back to this point.

somebody smack me please!

thanks for the replys

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2006, 09:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.