PDA

View Full Version : Let's hear it for the lil guys!

danbert
01-01-2006, 08:41 PM
Most 3D apps are targeted at professional houses that produce material for Movies, Games and T.V etc. Maya, to name but a few, comes with a price tag of thousands of bucks.
The general home user.. i.e the hobbyist, is just looking for a release of artistic expression. They're inspired by the amazing wizbang FX they see in movies or whatever and, naturally, feel a desire to recreate them in their own spare time. Not realizing that the latest 'hollywood blockbuster' took a team of hundreds, hundreds of thousands of hours to create.
Yet, the big players in 3D application development still charge these lil guys the full price tag. Is it any wonder that a huge majority of home grown 3D enthusiasts are using the latest cracked versions of the top, most expensive apps?
Most laws on copyright and legal use of intelectual material were carved into stone years before the internet ever became the norm of todays society.. making the majority of users criminals.
Ok.. so there's Blender.. a brilliant and, in my book, better than some top selling apps, but all we hear these days is.. 'done with Maya/Max/Bryce/lightwave... etc etc'. Or use learning additions.. Thats like asking Davinci to paint the Mona Lisa with someone elses brushes.
Anyway, before I get carried away, my point is.. why don't the big app developers give discount to homeusers? Give the genuine enthusiasts a release of artistic talent without the need of breaking the law... or their bank accounts?

Simon
01-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Mate I think you might be lighting matches with this one.

I am a home user. I found tons of genuine stuff on ebay.

Also lightwave is dirt cheap at the moment. So your arguement doesnt hold weight.

Simon

dbates
01-01-2006, 08:52 PM
My 2 cents:

There's a sort of limited market for high-end tools like Max, Maya, etc. There are the freelance professionals who can afford that kind of software, there are the students that can get the educational versions, and there are the hobbyists. I, for example, am not actively seeking a career in graphics, so I would be a hobbyist. Autodesk can't release a lower-priced version of their product for hobbyists unless it has a reduced toolset--or who would buy the expensive version? It's like Maya with the Complete and Unlimited versions; those who need fluids and fur and all that get Unlimited, and those who don't need as much save thousands of dollars with Complete.

I'm perfectly happy with educational versions for now. I can live with non-commercial-use clauses, because I'm nowhere near good enough to sell any of my work; when I get that good, I'll have enough income to justify purchasing the full version of whatever software I'm using.

--dbates

Simon
01-01-2006, 09:00 PM
just thinking... There have been attempts to release home user 3d apps before now.

they all failed or lacked proper support. (gmax?)

JDex
01-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Give the genuine enthusiasts a release of artistic talent without the need of breaking the law... or their bank accounts?

Softimage XSI did over a year ago... The Foundation version is exactly what you're asking for.

JeffPalmer
01-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Im about to go into buisness running on the Softimage XSI foundation at only $495 so its not a big price tag. Look into it, Blender has come a LONG ways since the mid 90's and like most softwares you can push it to do almost anything you want.

But seriously, there are alot of learning versions of softwares and educational versions of most the big guys applications.

CIM
01-01-2006, 10:07 PM
Is doing a little research really that hard before posting? Anyway...there are student discounts, free learning versions, eBay, and cheaper versions without all the bells and whistles (Maya Complete, XSI Foundation, and so on).

slaughters
01-01-2006, 10:34 PM
...so there's Blender.. a brilliant and, in my book, better than some top selling apps, but all we hear these days is.. 'done with Maya/Max/Bryce/lightwave... etc etc'. Or use learning additions...So,

You seem to think that having access to am excellent free 3D program and free learning editions of all the other major 3D software products is not good enough?

If you can't fullfill your "release of artistic expression." with these existing tools then the full blown commercial products will do you absolutly no good what so ever.

Simon
01-01-2006, 10:40 PM
For a entire year i used a program called "anim8or".

http://www.anim8or.com/main/index.html

I learnt all the basics of 3d with program and a free cad program called MINOS.

http://www.le-boite.com/minos.htm

With art I created on these programs i managed to get 4 clients which made me enough money to get myself a decent rig and setup!

Now stop whining and make some 3d!

-Simon

Minael2008
01-01-2006, 11:29 PM
thanks for the link, 99sproth. Going to check it out.

Simon
01-01-2006, 11:33 PM
thanks for the link, 99sproth. Going to check it out.

hehe no problem. its actualy more powerful than it looks. But with blender being easily as pwoerful as the big boys, it would be best to use that. i was making the point that if its about the art the art will triumph, whatever software you use.

danbert
01-02-2006, 05:28 AM
Thanks for the great replies in this thread. Didn't quite expect to get my head chewed off though :)
I was just making an observation and I quite agree with the comments about If you can't do good art with the 'less expensive/free apps' then full-fledged-all-bells-and-whistles commercial products isn't going to help ones creativity much.

For a home user most of the plugins and features of the top selling products wouldn't be any use to me anyway. I've been with Blender for many years and tried other apps too. There is plenty out there to help budding artists.. 3D or traditional/2D.

Anyway.. Thanks again for your input guys..

CGTalk Moderation
01-02-2006, 05:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.