PDA

View Full Version : which is better Graphire or Intuos tablets?

PB Baller27
01-01-2006, 04:54 PM
which is better Graphire (http://www.wacom.com/graphire/index.cfm) or Intuos (http://www.wacom.com/productinfo/intuos.cfm) tablet for Corel Painter and Photoshop.

tingham
01-01-2006, 06:08 PM
Don't even bother with trying to save money on this item. Get the biggest tablet you can afford the first time out. It's taken me eleven years to get a Cintiq, and now I won't paint with anything else. Size is all that matters in this game. The macro buttons give you more virtual space because you won't need the keyboard. Easy win.

-t

PB Baller27
01-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the comment tingham but the thing is I dont exactly want a cintiq because its really expensive and I got 2 20" lcd monitors already. Also I personally would rather get that 30" apple monitor than that. But That would be extremely cool and easy if I could afford the cintiq. Any other crits I would really appreciate

tingham
01-01-2006, 06:30 PM
I guess the fact that I mentioned the Cintiq was as much me bragging as it was that you should be focusing on getting the most tablet you can afford.

With the Intuos line you can get the 9x12 which is pricey, but it will pay off big-time in the stress it will save you having to endure because you are constantly having to work at 133% zoom.

In painter you can also define a region of your tablet just for the mixing well, which makes the whole process feel much more "sane" on a regular tablet. Having that extra three inches right to left is well worth the extra $100.

The other alternative is to buy used on ebay and start trading up progressively, that however can take a while and more motivation that just getting it done now.

Hope this helps you in your decision.

-Thomas

kraal
01-01-2006, 07:23 PM
i suggesat also not getting the graphire ... alot of people will say it is better than noe but saving for the intuos is not gonna be that much longer for a wait. the size is some thing you need to realize on your own i personally had no use for the big 12 x 12 it was just too much surface area i never used ... but the again traditionally i sketch small

PB Baller27
01-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Hey thanks guys again for the comments. Yeah Im probally going to get the 9x12 intous tablet. But I was also curious if the Tablet was hard to "master".

tingham
01-04-2006, 06:36 AM
I honestly think the only trouble you'll have moving from mouse to tablet is putting the damn thing down.

:)

ElviratheCat
01-04-2006, 10:36 AM
When choosing the size of the tablet consider these things, desk space, how you draw if you draw using the whole arm then the large one will be necessary but if you draw from the wrist either of the smaller ones would be fine and affordability could be the deciding factor, if you work with 2 monitors and have enough desk space perhaps the 6"X11" would be a good choice. For many the 6"X"8 is the tablet of choice as it is larger than the 4"X5" but not so huge as the 9"X12".

Remember the tablets desk footprint is much larger than the drawing space which is the dimensions used to descirbe them. The Intous is the pro model, but if funds are limited The Graphir is a good tablet for the money, it is just not as pressure sensitive and doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Intous.
Elvira

marlouin
01-05-2006, 03:21 AM
Recently, I was about to buy an huge A3 intuos2 (sorry I don't know the US size) on ebay but I lose the auction and I finally got an A5 intuos2(6x8).

And I'm pretty happy, the size is perfect for my workspace (I think the huge one would have been a big mistake), I have rooms for my movements. Most things I'm doing are: pen-pencil drawing and acrylic painting. But I recognize I haven't tried to paint on bigger than A4 canvas for now. I'm not bothered to zoom in or out (but don't forget to activate smoothing in painter).

It's not hard to master, the only thing that bug me is drawing an horizontal line correctly. I think you lose a bit compared to drawing directly on paper, and I guess the cintiq is here for that. But it's a bit expensive for a first try. I also made the mistake to draw directly on the tablet's plastic, and I realized it's so much better with a thick paper upon it.

(Gn00b
01-05-2006, 11:58 PM
I would strongly suggest the Intuous line of tablets -- just got a Intuos3 6x11, and it is beautiful. I think the Graphires are more for less serious artists, or for those who would just like a comfortable pen tool, useful also for editing photos. I think that with your wide screen design, the 6x11 would suit you quite well -- I only have one monitor, and mine still feels great and produces good results ... this is one purchase I advise you NOT to try to shave pennies off of--if you pay the extra money, it will be well worth it. Good luck!

ToddD
01-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Go intuos, I have read many times that the larger sizes are a bit too much, 6x8 seems to be a common recommendation-- thats what I use also.

Lunatique
01-09-2006, 06:04 AM
Intuos is Wacom's professional line of tablets. It has features that Graphire does not--such as tilt, and higher level of pressure sensitivity. However, there have been serious artists who used Graphire and said the difference wasn't enough to justify buying an Intuos.

Size is a very subjective issue. It's a myth that bigger is better--it's all about personal preference. Some people draw with their wrist, some draw with their arm--so you buy the size that fits your drawing habits. Majority of the professionals use 6x8, and it's widely agreed upon as the most fitting size for most. If you draw with your wrist a lot, getting a big tablet would be a waste of money.

PB Baller27
01-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Hey thanks guys again for the comments but im probally still getting te 9x12 int.
1. I got plenty of work space so its not a space problem.
2. I draw using my arm alot so I would need a tablet with more space.
3. I also would rather have those extra inches of room to draw. I personally like to draw on big surfaces.

But thanks again for the comments.

tingham
01-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Har Har, good choice me matey.

Yeargh for large surfaces!

PB Baller27
01-14-2006, 08:00 PM
I GOT IT. The tablet finally came in and i love it. Although I must admit it is hard and slower(im not used to it yet) then the mouse but still really amazing. But I was definatly(in my opnion in my dilemma) right to get the 9x12. Those few extra inches mean a world when drawing and move the cursor across my monitors. I just want to say thanks guys for the help and I really appreciate it.

tingham
01-14-2006, 11:29 PM
Congratulations, now start saving your pennies for the Cintiq :)

mocaw
01-24-2006, 12:42 AM
If spending $50 bucks on a used Graphire is going to kill you then maybe you shouldn't even save. Don't you guys think he should get his feet wet on the cheap and be able to play while he saves? You're telling me that using a mouse in painter is better than even a 4x5 graphire? Who are you kidding.

Get a used Graphire and save up for what you really want while you have fun and releave you hand from the mouse teadium!

PB Baller27
01-24-2006, 02:27 AM
um.. I really dont need a cintiq. I'm 14 and just wanted to start getting the feel of a tablet.If i do get a cintiq it shouldnt be hard at all to transition from the tablet to the monitor. There is no hurry or rush for the best. But thanks for commenting anyways.

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2006, 02:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.