PDA

View Full Version : Did expert use layer style or manuly paint for skin?

mugener
01-01-2006, 01:17 PM

Experts such as Masamune Shirow can draw girls with very sexy oily skin.

I really want to know which way they use.

Did they (A) do it with painting manuly, or (B) mess up with layer style?

BlueFlare
01-01-2006, 06:34 PM
I hardly doubt he used a layer style, but for the exact answer you should ask him in my opinion, because all we can do is guess. :)

mugener
01-02-2006, 01:00 AM
I hardly doubt he used a layer style, but for the exact answer you should ask him in my opinion, because all we can do is guess. :)

Thanks, the purpose of this thread is also hope to know how your guys draw skin.

Does anyone here draw skin use layer style? because in my view, if you mix effects in right way, your can make any kind of skin and textures.

This is my theory, is it wrong? Are there still some limits in photoshop's layer style feature?

XepptizZ
01-02-2006, 02:27 AM
Painting+Blending options, Dunno how the pro's do it.

Ian Jones
01-02-2006, 07:52 AM
Yes you can achieve a certain amount with layer styles, but really for the most control the answer is manually painting. This is usually how 'the pros' work. More importantly than understanding which tool to use is to understand what makes skin look like it does. Study it carefully as there are many, many subtleties and of course skin varies from person to person. There is more benefit in studying the hue, tones and texture from real life or if you have to photographs. Art theory is universal, traditional painters use many different media, but their understanding of light, colour, tonal values etc.. is much more important to them than their tools. The same applies to digital artists.

In the end, if layer styles work for you, and you find it achieves the effect you want that's no more or less important than any other method. Just use whats best for you. Sorry for my rant.. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-02-2006, 07:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.