PDA

View Full Version : How to Combine 2 Pics in 2 Channels?

Glyptic
12-31-2005, 08:04 PM
I've had PS CS2 V9 for about 3 days. And have been trying to do this one thing all that time. I need to make normal maps from photos.
See this tute....http://66.70.170.53/Ryan/nrmphoto/nrmphoto.html
I can even get through Step 2. I've looked all through Help, I have 4 training DVD's (the trainer loves the sound of his own voice) and still I don't get it. I've seached this Forum and found nothing.
I work with Rhino and Cinema 4D, but am clueless with PhotoShop.
I need to place a b/w photo in the green channel of a New Image. Then do the same with the red channel, and then combine them. The green channel must be green, and the red channel must be red. Simple, huh?
Then repeat for two more b/w photos in another New Image, then combine the two New Images into one.
The plugs I have and they work great.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Sorry if this is the dumbest question of the day.
cheers,
glyptic

gfx-ACro
12-31-2005, 08:19 PM
Step 2:

Open your photo and tehn go to -

Image > Mod > and select "Grayscale".

About the others I am a bit confused, I will think of something :S sorry.

I will try :)

*If I am not mistake go to the Image Mod again and change back to RGB Mod.

Then in the chanle window select the Green chanle...... I think Dont count on this.

@ this tutorial Is kinda messed up, not ?

Glyptic
12-31-2005, 08:45 PM
Hi, gfx,

Thanks for responding.
Yeah, I got the Greyscale bit, no problem. And I'm having a lot of fun with other things within PS, but I *really* need to get this normal map thing down.
If I were to guess, I think Ryan left out the part about changing the background of the Greyscale image to Green or Red as needed (which I don't know how to do), THEN bring it in to the desired Channel.
But, I really have no idea.
I've asked two friends that are long time PS users about this, and they have no idea.
Thanks again.
glyptic

Ian Jones
01-01-2006, 01:06 AM
In a new image of the same size, click on the channels tab (next to layers tab) and isolate just the green channel (turn off the visibility icon just like layer vis), make sure you also have the channel selected. Paste the top down lighting photo in. Now do the same for the red channel, again isolating just it.

Working with channels is a very useful skill, especially with digital photographs which commonly have a lot of noise in the blue channel (because of the sensitivity of digital CCD sensors). What you can do is treat the blue channel individually, filtering and manipulating just like any other image to try and clean some of the colour noise you cna get in digital photographs.

Well anyway, I hope that is useful to you.

CGTalk Moderation
01-01-2006, 01:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.