PDA

View Full Version : 10 Second Club Entry

Chadseh
12-31-2005, 05:30 PM
Hey all,

This was my entry for the december 10sc sound clip. Feedback appreciated as always,

http://i-animate.org/10secondclub.org/files/2005/12/11361.mpg

cheers,

Chads

ChrisSosa
01-01-2006, 02:14 AM
Great character animation. My only comment would be on the lypic sync. Now I haven't been doing lip syncs that long but I think it needs to be exaggerated more.

saygt
01-01-2006, 08:32 AM
i think the lipsynch is fine. lipsynch is something that shouldnt attract attention unless intended for a special purpose. given the intensity of the emotion expressed in the sound track, i think the subtlety of the lipsynch works fine.

I think the body gestures are too exaggerated. It doesn't really fit the rest of his acting, which is more subdued and subtle, and the way he moves his arms and body about seems to be out of character.

Other than that, it's a sweet piece of character animation. I could see and feel the characters thoughts streaming, not getting cut off or paused, even there's not a whole lot of action going on.

Capn_Camo
01-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Gday mate!

I'm going to agree with the first post and not the second:

- The movements are kickass
- The lipsync needs improvement.

The snappiness of the movements really suit this character in my opinion - as the kind of neurotic, psychology patient :). There were one or two points in the very beginning where the movements didn't kind of flow... meaning that the pauses just happened and he didnt move a muscle throughout them... it just gave that frigid look you see in a lot of hand-keyed animations. I'd just patch that up with a little bob of the head or chest to show that he is either breathing or simply swaying in the wind, as all humans do. So yeah, well done on the movements - loved the drop-down psychologist!

The lip sync however seemed to almost be non-existent. By that I mean, you've gone way too subtle in the movements. From what I saw each character barely moves their mouth at all... they only seem to open and close it at small intervals repetitively with the odd rounding of the mouth. I'd really take the time to go through and see which vowels are really predominant in the dialogue, and then try to sync them with the lip sync thats already there. For a starting point it's good, but you just need to build on it - by that I mean you have the basic mouth movements there to "fill in the gaps" of speech, but there is no movement to catch the eye of the viewer and to show that he's really saying what he's saying.

Top notch! :buttrock:

oOMaximusOo
01-01-2006, 07:21 PM
all u posted some good points, but i'm going to go with the second post.
the character is to exaggerated and the lipsync is fine with the soundtrack.
i think the problem lies in balancing out the two to make it work a little better.
other then that, i love it!

mistasam02
01-01-2006, 07:26 PM
rendering is awesome! animation of the characters is awesome! only problem is.. you used Lowman, so there are no mouth controls whatsoever. lol thats the only downfall... and sadly that kinda brings down the rest of the animation for me, sorry :shrug:

pearblossom
01-03-2006, 09:24 PM
just one more 2 cents--good work! :thumbsup: I especially like how you did the 2nd guy, he's perfect. The 1st guy is pretty good too, i think some of the movements could be a little less, but I guess it's more a matter of taste than anything else.

harmonic01
01-03-2006, 09:45 PM
Hey, great job with LowMan. :) Too bad it just has a flopping jaw, sorry. If you're going to do more, try this one next time http://www.3dluvr.com/clisk3d/freerigg/Max_v03.rar :) It's still a wip but functional. E-mail me if you have any questions or comments or whatever. :) I think you got away with a flapping jaw just fine, though.

anyways, back to the topic. Animation looks great. I do agree that movements are too exaggerated and don't quite fit the intensity of the dialog.

Also, another thing to keep in mind is the character's silhouette and it's positive + negative space. In the beginning his hands are with in his torso so if you shade the character all black, you won't be able to tell what's going on. Poses with a clear silhouette read clearer and faster in general. Of course, if you coloured the torso, arms and hands some distinct colours, it might look fine.

Well, that's it, just my 2 cents. I like the snappiness. :D movement wise, looks great. :D

Chadseh
01-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the great replies.

WOW Harmonic, I think in one beautiful swoop of generosity you have managed to anwser all my prayers! I can't wait to get animating with that guy, he looks absolutely fantastic. You did such a good job with lowmax (you practically saved the day back then, too, since I couldn't find any other max model half as good)

Muchos appreciated, i'm sure you'll be seeing this fella in a new animation soon. I'm all excited :)

kind regards,

CGTalk Moderation
01-04-2006, 12:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.