PDA

View Full Version : The Nose

kpalazov
12-22-2001, 07:01 PM
Well just been working on a model for about 2-4 hours and got stuck on the nose. I don't know whats wrong but it just does'nt look right. Any help and teqniques for creating a better nose would be greatly appriciated.

http://www.geocities.com/kpalazov/Nose1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/kpalazov/Head.gif

Also if any one could help me out on the mouth that would also be great. I will give examples of the mouth later.

Thanks

Martin-K-
12-22-2001, 07:09 PM
actually the nose looks fine. i think that the areas that need some tweaks and such are the mouth...jaw...top of head...size of skull.......eyebrows...

but the nose is fine. ( though the bottom of the (nose the nostril area. that attaches to the head) is too sharp.

also.you might want to consider putting in some more muscles. ( ie. the muscle that pulls the tips of the mouth up when you smile ( it runs from the nose and around the mouth ).

kpalazov
12-22-2001, 07:19 PM
http://www.geocities.com/kpalazov/Head.gif

kpalazov
12-22-2001, 07:27 PM
hey do you know how to make a an image appear in the post. My own pics don't work?

ANyways getting back to the modelling. I want you to be as harsh as you can be I am trying to create a very realistic face and I need everything to be perfect so please : the nose is not perfect .

Also I don't quite understande how I would show the muscles in my modelling. Could you draw this on my pics so I have a better idea.

Also I don't want this to tern in to a critique. I wanted to explore different tequniques of creating the nose- different looks of the nose .

Actaully ists been about 3 hours so I ha'vt worked on anything else much apart from just the face.

Martin-K-
12-22-2001, 07:46 PM
dont use geocities. they are shit, and they dont allow to show images. what im posting about now is that you shouldnt say that your trying to get the details now and fix things later...

you should make sure that the proportions are the FIRST things you should worry about. details come second. your doing it the other way around.

kpalazov
12-22-2001, 08:18 PM
I'm actually working on that at the same time. If you notice I have anther post that deals with proprtions. I have a skull built and now I'm trying to wrap my skin around that skull to give me the correct proportions. Can't do it yet. If you go to the maya section you'll see what I'm talking about. But in general your right this is my first attemp at a headlet alone a nose and I thank you very much for your advice. I agree with you. Its like sculpting.

Anyways who do recommend that is free . Thanks.

Viekoslav
12-23-2001, 08:27 AM
I had a terrible time with the nose at first. I had a similar problem whe drawing faces. Very good teacher of mine told me to do this:

Start drawing the nose first. simple as that. I tried it while modeling and amazinly enough it worked just fine. Not only the nose is the center point of the face it is also a great way of keeping the whole face proportional.

Try it. let me know.

kpalazov
12-23-2001, 09:54 AM
Well the funny thing is that how I actually begin my models of the human face. If I show you my early stages of the modelling process I focus mainly on developing a good nose.

What I wanted to ask though is how I would use the nose for proportions. Do you mean like distance of the eyes and the ears stuff like that.

Would be great if you could post some meshes or send them to me so I could have a look .

Thanks

Martin-K-
12-23-2001, 04:02 PM
you dont need a mesh of a human head to be able to tell proportions......look at your own head...or at your friends/parents whatever.. this is a completely theorytical issue that exists beyond the PC to begin with.

kpalazov
12-23-2001, 05:35 PM
yep I agree. I am looking mainly for the layout of the edge loops and placements of vertices. The different topology so I can determine which will best fit animation and themodelling of detail.
BUt your right I guess.

kpalazov
12-23-2001, 05:45 PM
Guys I think what would help me having said that is different noses created by your selves and maybe the way you created . That would give me an idea if the topology.

Viekoslav
12-23-2001, 06:26 PM
I would have to say that the parametric relationship between facial features are not just theoretical. it is actually very precise 90-95% of the times. It is also great practice to learn how to draw without a model/mirror/picture. a couple of books that might help you greatly are:

"Drawing the human head" by Hogarth in fact any of his books are great.

The Loomis drawing book, out of print but you might be able to find it here and there (Goggle)

and basically practice, practice, practice.

I'll put up a pic for you to see a couple of my meshes.

good luck.

kpalazov
12-23-2001, 08:42 PM
Great . I already have the loomis books but not the other will have to order it. Hmm I think thats a good point about drawing or sculpting with out a guid. I modeled the face with a mirror to my face just to get an idea of the general feature of theface and I don't think I can remeber them. Next model I will do this.

Whats odd though is that alot of poeple say that you need to be a cood drawer to to be able to achieve good looking faces or a sculpture. I have done both doing sculpting at the momentand its sorta the other way. I can draw faces better then ever now since I started sculpting in 3d. And although sculpting lessons have helped build a better of shape and form I find that my 3d sculpting is influencing this too .

I await eagerly the meshes.

thanks

kpalazov
12-26-2001, 04:49 AM
http://www.geocities.com/kpalazov/Webpage/HPKiril.htm

hopefully this will work. This is alittle something I put together in about 1 hours just tp put something up. Have more stuff but pretty bussy at the moment.

kpalazov
01-04-2002, 10:26 AM
cmon guys where are those wire frames...........................

koroko
01-22-2002, 03:28 PM
hi guys,

i was little bored, and took some of my models, cut away the noses, and make this compos...

http://webs.ono.com/usr002/Koroko/img/noses.jpg

The two in the middle started from the same mesh...

Hope it helps...

Darkman
01-23-2002, 10:08 AM
Dont forget, that no matter how many books you buy and read,
it wont make you a better artist. It helps... sure, but proportion
and facial complexities are dealing with tactility.

The key(IMHO) is to sketch, scan and model until the Mofo does what you want.

Why not try the tried and tested modelling over an image of a famous person
off the net? Just use the pic to get proportions.

Plenty of people have posted thier side elevations of head subdivision models,
why not use these to get your topology?

Just my experiences dude.

Cheers, :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.