PDA

View Full Version : Awkward Moments - Bank Machine Rogue

Rogue
11-27-2002, 01:28 AM
Ok guys, I'm in. It's deadline is Monday right? So it's gotta move along quickly.

I originally wanted to do a mover animation, but I just don't think I'll have the time now. So I'll do an ATM one, and hope things work in my favor. :)

Sorry, no storyboards. I don't have a scanner anyways. So here's the story:

From ATM's perspective. Mr. Seg Mentedski approaches the atm, removes his atm card, inserts it in the machine, begins to punch in his pin number and the machine spits his card out. He tries this another time or to, each time the same results. He gets frustrated and starts beating the atm machine. However, he's unaware of the atm's defense mechanism...a spring loaded boxing glove.

We'll see how it goes.

Here's a pic of Mr. Seg Mentedski. Please do not try and grasp the complexity of this model. I can not be held repsonsible for any shock or serious depression as a result of observing this object's complexity. ;)

http://www.roguesplace.com/CGTalk/Nov2002/Mr.%20Seg%20Mentedski.jpg

I'll post some blocking, animation tests. etc as they get done. I'm just hoping time will be on my side here so I can get done and have some fun with it!

Nemises
11-27-2002, 02:07 AM
Love it!..

He's one of the best characters so far, and a really great idea for a segmented model.

The good thing about the Bank machine POV is that you can use those totally cool cartoon eyebrows to good effect from close up to the characters face :):):)

GL man..get going, not much time left ;)

Rogue
11-29-2002, 06:14 PM
Thanks Nemises. Glad you like him.

I'm having some camera placement issues with framing him. I can't get as much of him in frame as I'd like and get the desired effect.

MODS: The camera angle has been an issue to get the desired effect at the ATM. So it's rendered at 320x320. If this will not work with the rules, please let me know. Will it be ok to have a 1:1 ratio?

Here is the blocking for the spot. I used the stepped keyframe technique for timing and blocking. This is the first I've used this technique and wanted to try it out to see if I liked it. It's quick to setup the blocking, but I'm unsure of certain timing aspects. I'll know more in a few days.

Any advice, info, or pitfalls with this technique would be greatly appreciated!!

Pretty rough, but you'll get the idea. Still much work to do.

Blocking (http://www.roguesplace.com/CGTalk/Nov2002/Blocking.avi); 244kb DivX 5.02

LichiMan
11-29-2002, 06:40 PM
Hi Rogue!

Great Blocking and poses!
I think that the idea for the camera placement is awesome. I feel as a Back Machine now :D

Looking for the next update...

Rogue
11-30-2002, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the comments LichiMan.

Well, I can say that I'm not a fan of the stepped curve blocking. Of coarse, I did it very inefficiently so I've been doing alot of clean up and little animating.

Anyways, here's the current update. Still got alot of tweaking to do and adding secondary motions. And the two takes he does as the card hits him BLOWS!!!:annoyed: I've gotta get those taken care of.

Originally, I had him walking up to the ATM machine but when I turned stepped of the curves, I had to move keyframes around quite a bit to make the timing work. As a result, I had to exclude the walk up to the ATM. Yet another reason I'm not fond of stepped curves....but, this was my first time with this technique, so if there's a next time, I'll better understand how to do it with satisfactory results.

Seg1 (http://www.roguesplace.com/CGTalk/Nov2002/Seg1.avi); 544kb DivX 5.02

It may a little while before I can get back on it, but this is the perfect stage for crits.

Nemises
11-30-2002, 08:16 PM
Oh my God!
That is Good!

Was a bit hard to tell what was going on at first (ie. I tried to whatch it without "knowing" the subject matter), but once he bends towards the Camera, and it fish-eyes, you can tell its a CCTV or somthing similar.

I think theres a bit of inter penetration to clear up after his second head scratch, but its not very notible, so if it throws off the action, I wouldnt worry about "fixing" it.

When he gets taken out by the machine though, that is animation GOLD!...you got the timing just right, and the feet flying up....fantastic :):)

You could enter that as is and probably win! (if its judged off entertainment and pure animating)

Rogue
11-30-2002, 11:21 PM
Thanks Nemises. Naw, I don't think it would win, there's several very cool entries in the challenge. But I appreciate the compliment.

That head scratch definately needs some work....as does other parts. And you're right, it is hard to tell what's going on at first. But I don't know what to do about it. Maybe a comic book bubble that says, "I need some money form this ATM machine". Or, "tada, my ATM card!". That might do it. ;)

Still got some work to do on it. It seems we have an extended deadline, so it's not a big of a rush now. I'm kind of thinking it could all be a bit snappier!

ACFred
12-01-2002, 12:47 AM
Hey Rogue,

Looking really good so far. Cool premise.
Take a look at his initial reaction when the card first pops out. In general, I think you need to exaggerate the poses a bit more.
For instance, to go along with the intial reaction, I think his hands need to come up a bit either to the side of his head, as if spooked or crossed in front of his face as in a defensive pose. Y'know, crossing in front of his face while twisting away from the card spitting out, maybe even with his facing leg coming off of the ground in a defensive manner.
To help motivate his violent reaction at the end, maybe the card can hit the guy in the forehead, allowing for motivation for the next action and also giving you the opportunity for another nice reaction shot for you guy.
It's a good start! Let's see more!

Alec

Rogue
12-01-2002, 06:40 PM
Thanks Alec. Those are some great ideas. I've added the card hitting his head the second time and moving his arms in front of his head. I think I need to adjust the flailing arms a little bit, I think they could be more snappy. I will also try and get something more happening with the arms the first time the card hits him.

It's also hard to see the card going towards his head the second time. I may need to slow it down a frame or two so that you can see it going towards his head a little better.

I've also fixed the head scratching. I tried to make the poses a little more exagerated, but I'm not sure I did it enough. I made some changes to other motions to make them little more snappy as well.

Still got some work to do, but I've got that life stuff I've got to get started on today. :)

Seg2 (http://www.roguesplace.com/CGTalk/Nov2002/Seg2.avi); 565kb DivX 5.02

Keep those suggestions coming.

Rogue
12-08-2002, 02:29 PM
Hmm, it seems we must relink our final animations. Man, a lot of thread posts was lost.

Here is the final:

Final (http://www.roguesplace.com/CGTalk/Nov2002/Seg Final.mov) ;740 kb Quicktime

MosaFacku
12-16-2002, 09:46 PM
hey rogue, i was pokin around the site and saw this. good stuff man :)

Rogue
12-16-2002, 11:34 PM
Thanks man. Glad you liked it. I was hoping to get some crits from you before the deadline, but you never did. :cry:

Oh well. Are you going to enter in the upcoming months?

MosaFacku
12-17-2002, 02:33 AM
yah, this month i wasn't so active on the forums cause i was actively job searching and all that good stuff. it all paid off cause i just landed a freelance gig at reelFX in Dallas workin on the new gi joe commercial. also, i got a full time job at kronos digital in pasadena, CA. :) i'll be around more in the next few months as things settle down for me. hopefully i'll be able to enter in the next anim challenge :)

again, good job man. it got some good laughs from me :buttrock:

tubby
12-17-2002, 03:09 AM
hey Rogue that is really good!! funny idea and great timing! :) Maybe one of these days i'll get the guts to join in on these animation challenges, once i get better that is.

Rogue
12-17-2002, 04:40 AM
MosaFacku: Congrats on the gig(s). The freelance job sounds cool, but the full time spot sound even better! :thumbsup: Way to go! Will you be character animating mostly? I get alot of the character jobs where I work, but I really have to do everything...which is fun, but I really love character animating and wished that was all I did. I could rack up some experience then...

tubby: Dude, you're good enough to enter now. I've seen your work and was going to comment on the animation you have in the animation section of CGTalk. But alas, I was at work (good internet connection), and I can't get to all of them I would like because of that job thing. :) It's a good spot. I should be able to make some comments tomarrow. Anyways, regardless of how you feel of your abilities, entering a challenge and posting updates is a great way to learn. You get ideas from others that you haven't thought of. Sometimes it's easy to over look something that your animating because you've been looking at it for hours (been there, done that)....there's lot's of fresh eyes that can point out things that you overlook. It's a great learning tool and I wouldn't pass it up!! Enter the next one!!! :)

tubby
12-17-2002, 05:07 AM
Rogue, totally, damn now you got me hyped up to join in!thanks for the compliments! I gotta see how much work I have in my classes, but I'm definetly gonna try to join in on the next one! lookin forward to work among all you talented artists!

muckywetnoodle
12-19-2002, 05:40 AM
Hola! Late crits for me but what the hey. :D I guess one thing I thought would give it a bit more snap is offset his reaction to being pegged by the card and glove by a couple more frames (a couple frames later). When played it looks like he's reacting at or before they hit. Perhaps bounce the glove around a bit more. No suggesitons on the rest. Good going!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.