PDA

View Full Version : Noise Transforms?

Wegg
12-30-2005, 10:48 PM
Does anyone know a way to make a Noise shader used in a material NOT stick to the geometry as it moves? I want to make something look like it is traveling through turbulent water. I know I could just animate it by hand. . .

So. . . why don't I just do that.

ok I will. . .

Should I post this?

Ahh. . . why not. So bloody quite in here anyway. . . :-(

Layer01
01-02-2006, 01:19 AM
grabs defribulator (spelling?) and reanimates wegg *live! live damn you!!!*

happy new year buddy, see you back in irc soon, hope the new update brings the rush of users and chatter that is needed ;)

WoodyLWG
01-02-2006, 05:11 AM
Howdy fellas! New messiah user here, so I may be talking out of my behind since I'm not entirely used to the shader system yet (just got messiah for Christmas :) )
but isn't there some way to have your texture use World Coordinates instead of Local?
I know that this is often the solution with other packages for displacements, etc.

BTW, I'm very very excited about messiah, and am looking forward to getting to know the user base here. :thumbsup:

maks
01-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Happy new year all! :beer:

Hey Wegg,

All noise shaders in messiah (including Thomas' AoN shaders) have a world coordinate option - isn't that what you are looking for...?

Wegg
01-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Wow. Well. . . sheesh. Why didn't I try that!?! Thank you Marek.

I presented my problem to Taron and he came up with a really wicked solution.

He wrote the "TextureDeformer" shader to overcome a similar problem he was having. With that you can put the value of your noise into it and do a "fix and relocate" on the placement of the noise and use a null as a "tool" to get the new coordinates.

Then you have ultimate control over the placement and movement of your texture's coordinates because its tied directly into the placement and scale of a null in your scene!

You can do the same thing in Lightwave but. . . its pretty cool that he has enabled us to do it in Messiah.

ThomasHelzle
01-04-2006, 08:18 PM
Are you guys aware of the fact that you can fully use messiahs nice expressions with shaders? It is very simple to control almost everything with nulls or objects or a random noise or whatever you desire. Blinking, moving, colorcycling... You name it...

And yes, World Coordinates is what you are looking for ;-)

Cheers,

Wegg
01-04-2006, 08:36 PM
For someone who gave up on Messiah. . . you sure seem to be a fan. :-)

Labuzz
01-04-2006, 08:46 PM
yep nice to see you here Thomas and happy new year!

Leebre
01-04-2006, 09:15 PM
For someone who gave up on Messiah. . . you sure seem to be a fan. :-)

I'm guessing that Thomas is a fan. Like most of us, he really wants to love Messiah and wants it to succeed. But he's also been fighting with the api and what-not for quite some time now. Life is too short to be spent feeling frustrated and futile because something you want just isn't there. It's better to move on and find happiness in reality rather than wants.

ThomasHelzle
01-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Thanks and a happy new year to all of you :-)

hehehe - you're right Wegg: I wouldn't have had such a hard time with messiah if I wouldn't love some parts of it, like the expressions, the shader flow and the setup mode.
But on the other hand - I haven't touched it for months now and I will not use it much anymore if nothing rather drastic happens. It is not good for my inner peace ;)

All the best,

CGTalk Moderation
01-04-2006, 09:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.