PDA

View Full Version : MGAC - 006 - Spell - The Ultimate Spell

Swizzle
12-30-2005, 09:25 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/mwarsame/Projects/MGACpostercopy.jpg

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is rather different from previous MGACs. You are to create the most completely freaking awesome spell effect ever made within the following restrictions:

No more than 500 (five hundred, just so we're clear) particles OR triangles TOTAL. You may mix particles and polygons, use polygons as particles, etc., but there must be no more than 500 of them.

No more than 2 (two) of each of the following types of maps
-256 color
-256 specular
-256 alpha
-256 bump and/or normal

You'll note that I said 'particles'. You may use whatever particle system features your application of choice supports or includes to come up with something involving particles if you choose. You may, if you wish, just use a bunch of polygons, but the point of this exercise is to create fancy spell effects that you'd want to display prominently in a glossy magazine advertisement, so if you don't use particles then you need to make it look really fancy however you do it.

Show us what that spell effect looks like at its most awesome, its peak, its apex of amazing lightshow effects. Show us what it'd look like when the camera pans dramatically around the epicenter of your colossal display of intense magicfulness before the bad guys turn into drippy streaks on the walls. This is your beauty render.

Please include triangle and/or particle count (if you used particles). Please include beauty render(s) and wireframes. If wireframes are not an option because it's all particles or something, give us a viewport screengrab or something similar.

Finally, you may model some sort of character to represtent the spell. However, this must be like the Aeons of Final Fantasy X in that it must be summoned with spiffy lighting effects and stuff. Its poly count is included in the 500 polygon/particle restriction.

The contest will end on Friday, January 6th, 11:59:59 pm UTC -8 hours. I hope that's no too inconvenient.

PS: Sorry for being late with this.

Yorgo12345
12-30-2005, 09:46 PM
woah, what a cool idea!

Auctane
12-31-2005, 04:53 AM
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Very good idea!

Shishka
12-31-2005, 06:38 AM
I'm so totally in.

XepptizZ
12-31-2005, 12:50 PM
Bah, I don't know particalzZ yet.

ChimpanG
12-31-2005, 02:08 PM
never-ever done anything of this sort, but i'll give it a go if it doesnt look to hard, gonna see what others do first.:D

Swizzle
01-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Bah, I don't know particalzZ yet.That's quite all right; you can make something out of polygons and it'll be fine. A lot of games use stuff like wavy strips of polygons and stuff for spell effects, so no knowledge of particle systems if necessary. :)

By the way, I might not have access to a computer on Friday. I'm in the middle of moving to a different city and my house is currently blocked in by (the thankfully not saturated by) flooding. I'll have to get to a public library or something similar. If I can't get to a computer by Friday, I ask that somebody contact one of the Forum Leaders to do the judging of the final results.

Auctane
01-03-2006, 04:51 AM
make it a stay

Bazooka Tooth
01-07-2006, 03:54 PM
PAGE 3!!! WTF! This is one of the coolest challenges I have seen and NOBODY entered!

I say we rerun this one, and make it a stickey!

living_the_dream
01-09-2006, 03:45 AM
Bazooka Tooth is right, this is an awesome challenge.

I spent a good bit of time last week just learning particles by digging through help files and experimenting. I haven't decided that I'm finished with this one but I'm satisfied with how it's coming along:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~apyoungb/Vortex_02.mov

Vortex Magic Spell - caster shoots energy at target that causes non-elemental damage and confuses opponent.

I'm still learning all this stuff myself, but if anyone has any questions on it, go for it!

Made with XSI

Swizzle
01-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Well, fine! If nobody's interested, then I guess living_the_dream wins!

So there! I understand! I can take a hint! Nobody loves me! ...! !

:D

Ok, ok, look. Shall we extend this one? How about we make it reeeaalll long? Does next week on Friday at, say, 5:00 pm US Pacific time sound like a good time to end it? I know I'll be on a computer at that time because I have a 3DS Max class in a lab and it goes 'til 5:00. I can even whip up something with Max's particle systems if you like and show it here; it won't take me long since I'm fairly proficient with them.

So, it that all right with everybody who DIDN'T PARTICIPATE? (grumble, mumble, grr)

Remember, the rules didn't say that you have to use particles. I've seen some really cool spell effects that used very little--if any--particles. Final Fantasy 8 had some good ones, like Ultima, though I don't remember if it had particles or anything like that.

Auctane
01-10-2006, 08:03 PM
yes, extend the deadline. I didnt enter because... well.... I dont know how to record a vid clip in Unreal2004. I think I just have to download some conversion program. Once I have a good idea, it shouldn't take too long to do.

Yorgo12345
01-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Yes, lets extend it. you do mean untill Fri the 20th right?

I started working on this, and never got a chance to finish :( and it looks like I'm not gonna get a chance untill the weekend...

I vote to extend untill next Friday, the 20th

Swizzle
01-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Yes, lets extend it. you do mean untill Fri the 20th right?That would be exactly what I meant.

Now get to work you lazy bums! ;)

ChimpanG
01-11-2006, 06:06 PM
yes, extend the deadline. I didnt enter because... well.... I dont know how to record a vid clip in Unreal2004. I think I just have to download some conversion program. Once I have a good idea, it shouldn't take too long to do.
get a program called FRAPS

SHEPEIRO
01-12-2006, 01:18 PM
GLandolina- man ive alwys wanted to know how to do this. cheers.

Auctane
01-12-2006, 05:31 PM
I dont know how to script something like that either... so it will have to be something that jumps from pillar to pillar or something. ... now I gotta start thinking ULTIMATE!

Yorgo12345
01-12-2006, 06:16 PM
I actually just figured out how to get the particles to do what I want.

XepptizZ
01-12-2006, 10:31 PM
I feel really strongly about entering, but alas, school, other people needing my services. :/

Runy
01-18-2006, 09:03 AM
I hope this time someone will compete :)

Auctane
01-18-2006, 04:46 PM
I hope this time someone will compete :)

I am. You can too.

Swizzle
01-20-2006, 05:34 PM
Ok, people, you now have 6.5 hours until I kill this thing and select teh winnar. If nobody submits anything in that time, I'll put up something, call myself the winner, and start a new challenge that goes back to straight modeling. I hope this illumination of impending doom serves to sufficiently motivate you to finish whatever you might be working on and submit something that shows that my little challenge was not a complete and utter failure.

...Not to freak you out or anything. :D

Auctane
01-20-2006, 05:54 PM
I'm in the middle of trying things with basic particles... man this is not easy. I have no idea how to make it do what I have in my head so I am going to just have to get it to do something...

Swizzle
01-20-2006, 08:19 PM
I'm in the middle of trying things with basic particles... man this is not easy. I have no idea how to make it do what I have in my head so I am going to just have to get it to do something...Remember that you can do a bunch of wavy strips or something, texture them, and do a beauty render. If it looks cool enough, you'll win. There don't have to be particles.

Auctane
01-20-2006, 10:48 PM
hahah! This is ****in brutal - its 168mb of lameness! I went and bought the DivX encoder to try and get the file size down, but for some reason it cant read the Fraps avi. Neither will Quicktime. So sorry its 168MB file Swizzel! I will take a couple screenshots and post my textures in a second, just thought I would give you a heads up on the .AVI you HAVE ( :D ) to download.

Here it is (www.keel-haul.com/vid/spell.avi), it only plays in Windows Media Player (sorry for that too).

edit: here is the screenshots and stuff (man this is awful!)

http://www.keel-haul.com/vid/spell.jpg

Swizzle
01-20-2006, 11:34 PM
Not too bad, somnambulance. Just under half an hour guys. If you don't want somnambulance to win, you'd better come up with something! ;)

dimi16
01-20-2006, 11:48 PM
dont close it just yeat im working on 1

Swizzle
01-20-2006, 11:55 PM
dont close it just yeat im working on 1Well, I don't know what to say. I already extended the deadline once. It seems like people really like modeling characters and stuff. Better hurry, you've got five minutes.

Swizzle
01-21-2006, 12:09 AM
Over. Done. Kaput.

Somnambulance wins. Congratulations, you get to choose the next topic.

Auctane
01-21-2006, 12:37 AM
ehh hum

:surprised

It was a great idea for a contest Swizz, kind of technical though.

Tonight I'll think up somethin for the next one.

XepptizZ
01-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Too bad it's over, I was just getting the hang of it
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/red_3000/upweapons/UPdamp1.jpg
Do note, it's the blast I'm working on, the enviroment and playermodel aren't mine.

Auctane
01-22-2006, 12:51 AM
XepptizZ, cool stuff man! Did you get it triggering in the game?

I am kind of thinking a skybox for the next one, like the sky of another planet. Any thoughts?

XepptizZ
01-22-2006, 02:53 AM
XepptizZ, cool stuff man! Did you get it triggering in the game?

I am kind of thinking a skybox for the next one, like the sky of another planet. Any thoughts?
Lol, you used UT99 aswell, ey? I wish max had the simple "Translucent" option ;/

Anyways, it's part of a weaponsmod I'm working for (more or less leading), that shot is when you grab the new improved Udamage.

Also, what program do you use and how good are you at getting meshes and such to work in UT? (It's a bit much for just me to import the 20 new weapons :P )

About skyboxes and such, I'm not sure if it's allowed for these none modelling programs to be used for setting up scenes. As for skyboxes, Go with whatever you like, skyboxes are easy in UT (easier than Max anyways)

Auctane
01-22-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm using UT2004. I thought you could display alphas in Max? I havent done anything with weapons in Unreal... Lately I have been using Modo (demo) and just loading the .LWO into UnrealEd, but I have a Lightwave licence and it works too. I have used Maya PLE to export models. The PLE watermarks are way too annoying for me to really get comfortable in Maya.

Portal skybox for the next MGAC anyone? How about a RTS vehicle?

CGTalk Moderation
01-22-2006, 05:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.