PDA

View Full Version : COFFEE node vs. multiple FloatMath nodes

bcbarnes
12-30-2005, 07:06 PM
I recently replaced several XPresso calculation nodes with a single COFFEE node. This got me wondering - is there a preference of when to use which ones? i.e. What is the overhead of the COFFEE code compiler, and when does it make more sense to use just simple float math nodes? Is there a speed or memory usage advantage of one over the other?

Brian.

Geespot
12-30-2005, 07:36 PM
To be honest, I don't think there would be a vast difference in speed. Not noticable difference anyway. So its down to personally preference.

Personally I use a Coffee node for practically all my xpresso's , thats probabley because im more coffee inclined and can do things with code twice as fast than xpresso.

At a guess though I would imagine the math nodes would be an extra few cpu cycles faster because they are already compiled in c++. While with a coffee node, c4d would have to compile the node on the fly

Per-Anders
12-30-2005, 10:24 PM
a single xpresso node should be faster to execute than multiple nodes, so a single coffee node should result in a faster network (at least after you do a couple of math functions in there).

Srek
12-31-2005, 08:11 AM
Hi,
COFFEE nodes have a speed advantage when it comes to multiple operations. I wouldn't replace a single or a handfull of math nodes with a COFFEE node, but anything more complex should be alternatively thought of to be made with a COFFEE node, especialy if it involves multiple execution on one frame (iterations, particles). If an expression is only evaluated once per frame the difference usualy does not justify the switch to COFFEE.
Cheers
Björn

CGTalk Moderation
12-31-2005, 08:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.