PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about the Gnomon Photoshop DVD - please help me decide.

Beef Beany
12-30-2005, 05:31 PM
I'm looking at this one: http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/dpa01.html

In spite of my efforts over the years to understand things through Tutorialoutpost and other such sites, there are many aspects of Photoshop that remain nebulous to me. I bought the first Dylan Cole matte painting DVD a while back to get some reinforcement when it comes to painting. I'm a-ok when it comes to the painting parts, but it's frustrating to be barely hanging on by a thread whenever he starts doing Photoshop stuff with quickmasks, gradients, and then curves. Perhaps he expects you to know all of this already, but either way, he doesn't do an exceptional job of explaining all of that in my opinion. Software features like that tend to be elusive for me and highly uncomfortable to use because I feel like I have little control over what's happening due to my shaky understanding of how they're properly applied.

In any case, this DVD seems like a good deal by Gnomon standards; 6 1/2 hours of lecture for $60. Comparatively, my first Dylan Cole DVD is like 2 hours of lecture for the same price. Plus, I am interested in things outside of painting, like photo editing, compositing, etc. My main concern is that Photoshop changes over the years. Right now, I happen to be using CS1. Does anyone know which version of Photoshop this DVD uses? Is it too outdated to be worthwhile?

Neil
12-30-2005, 06:38 PM
are you trying to learn how to be an artist or just how to use the software effectively?
Might sound like the same thing, but there is a difference.

Beef Beany
12-30-2005, 07:09 PM
I understand where you're coming from and can answer that with complete specificity: I just want to use the software effectively. Artistically, I'm slightly better off (right now, I'm a junior in a traditional visual arts major). I already have a Wacom Intuos3, but I guess the problem is I generally understand only how to, well... paint. I have a hard time adequately using most of the other tools this program offers.

Neil
12-30-2005, 10:20 PM
I understand where you're coming from and can answer that with complete specificity: I just want to use the software effectively. Artistically, I'm slightly better off (right now, I'm a junior in a traditional visual arts major). I already have a Wacom Intuos3, but I guess the problem is I generally understand only how to, well... paint. I have a hard time adequately using most of the other tools this program offers.

In all honesty, a video demo of a software program is gonna be the same thing as a website walkthrough. I mean if the steps are written clearly you should be fine. Maybe you're just not going to the good Photoshop tutorial sites. But having everything easily accessible to you is just as easy. I guess it matters how important money is to you right now.

CGTalk Moderation
12-30-2005, 10:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.