PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Revolution to be priced UNDER $299

RobertoOrtiz
12-30-2005, 03:47 PM
"In a quickie comment, Nintendo's President Satoru Iwata has finally come out and said that the Nintendo Revolution will be priced at a below $299 pricetag when it debuts next year—obviously making sure it can compete with XBox 360 and PS3. It's in Japanese, so you can read into it about as well as I can, but Happy New Year Nintendo fans."

>>LINK<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/gizmodo/20051230/tc_gizmodo/nintendorevolutionunder299;_ylt=AkmP8vWQkW_Uz9u6smxSuv.s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg)

-R

Boxsmiley
12-30-2005, 03:52 PM
The price makes it that much better....can't wait!

animateddave
12-30-2005, 04:23 PM
299 is great but what can we play with it?

Sagii
12-30-2005, 04:26 PM
Yey... go Nintendo... ! I dont doubt they will make some great innovative games like they always have..

archerx
12-30-2005, 04:30 PM
299 is great but what can we play with it?

super smash brothers online :love:

Sagii
12-30-2005, 04:32 PM
:love: :love: :love: :love:

animateddave
12-30-2005, 04:47 PM

Is that really all that we have to look forward to?

daedalu$
12-30-2005, 04:48 PM
Unfortunately that's not cheap, the xbox360 costs 39.800 Yen (http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/67334) which is about the same. I was expecting that the Revolution would be cheaper than its competitors, after all it's hardware doesn't seem to be as powerful as theirs.

cgtalkiest
12-30-2005, 04:52 PM
Unfortunately that's not cheap, the xbox360 costs 39.800 Yen (http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/67334) which is about the same. I was expecting that the Revolution would be cheaper then its competitors, after all it's hardware doesn't seem to be as powerful as theirs.

yea. in actual fact, this news is a dissapointment. i thought it was going to be closer to half the price of the other 2 consoles, or at least a fair bit cheaper....

and super smash bros..... i never understood what was so good about that game. seemed pretty boring to me. button bash, until someone accidently wins.... great fun...

chrisWhite
12-30-2005, 04:56 PM
Sounds awesome, I'll get one for sure. Probably before I save up the money for a 360. I can't wait to try Zelda with the new controllers. Super Smash Brothers online is going to rule!

SheepFactory
12-30-2005, 05:02 PM
i am looking forward to play metroid and zelda :)

DaveW
12-30-2005, 06:02 PM
Unfortunately that's not cheap, the xbox360 costs 39.800 Yen (http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/67334) which is about the same. I was expecting that the Revolution would be cheaper than its competitors, after all it's hardware doesn't seem to be as powerful as theirs.

The article doesn't say how much the Revolution will cost, just that it will be LESS than $299; all Nintendo is saying is that it will cost less than Xbox360, which really isn't news.

talos72
12-30-2005, 06:31 PM

I thought PS3 hardware specs are supposed to be better than Xbox 360's! Or am I under the wrong impression?

Hazdaz
12-30-2005, 06:50 PM
And this is GOOD news... how??

Under $299?!? Hell that can quite easily mean $250 or 275 or 298!

The core XB360 is already $300, so unless it is WELL UNDER $299, I call this a major rip off. For a lame ass hardware like this is gonna have, this thing should be priced in at under $199... closer in line with what an XBox1 is going for now since that is roughly gonna be how powerful it is going to be.

(and I welcome all the mis-guided fanboys to try to flame me.)

Bonedaddy
12-30-2005, 07:04 PM
Wouldn't be a Nintendo thread without Hazdaz jumping in to remind us that we are all idiots. Whee!

Where would I be without his guiding hand? In a position of power, no doubt, with a healthy self-esteem and a loving partner. I am ever thankful for his spiteful, hating presence, to keep me in the pit of self-loathing I so richly deserve.

(seriously, how can you get riled up over an off-the-cuff comment that someone's hardware is going to be cheaper than someone else's? for god's sake)

Hazdaz
12-30-2005, 07:20 PM
Wouldn't be a Nintendo thread without Hazdaz jumping in to remind us that we are all idiots. Whee!

Where would I be without his guiding hand? In a position of power, no doubt, with a healthy self-esteem and a loving partner. I am ever thankful for his spiteful, hating presence, to keep me in the pit of self-loathing I so richly deserve.

(seriously, how can you get riled up over an off-the-cuff comment that someone's hardware is going to be cheaper than someone else's? for god's sake)

So tell me, olde wize BONEDADDY, how Nintendo's thinking of going toward "value market" works when their system costs just as much as a Core XB360?? Where is the value in this equation, since using regular math, it just doesn't work. Maybe using Fanboy math, the numbers add up??

If the system was truely cheap - like say closer to $150, then you really can't complain with Nintendo's logic since they will have the low-end market all to themselves. At "under $299" - unless that is WAY under $299 - they would be almost right at the cost of their bigger competition. Then the whole "Oh, I'll also buy a Rev as my secondary system" goes out the door for most people, cuz dropping $300+ for a PS3/XB360 and dropping $300- for a Rev becomes quite the expensive proposition. Unless money grows on trees in Fanboy land?

Oh and I find it soo soo intersting how you are soo quite to fling the insults, when I am meerly questioning the economics of Nintendo's decision in my first post. Classy! :rolleyes:

Bonedaddy
12-30-2005, 07:56 PM
They didn't say what the price was. Just that it's cheaper than an Xbox. As an off-the-cuff remark, not an official announcement. Why so up in arms over every little piece of Revolution news that comes out?

Neil
12-30-2005, 08:05 PM
What would a Nintendo thread be without BOTH of you! :)

Using the xbox360 core system price is silly since nobody is buying that unit and the ones that sold were probably out of desperation. Once the system is fully stocked in stores, why would the consumer buy the lower end one?
Nintendo could make a low end system too for 50 bucks and then you just have to buy the battery, and the controllers, and the case, and processor and videocard and assemble it yourself.

And to answer your question about why someone would spend 300 on a nintendo versus just buying a 360 for 300... uh why not? Nintendo has games that no other systems has, as does Playstation. That's the point. It's not all about graphics and power.

P_T
12-30-2005, 08:05 PM
"Questioning" doesn't include calling the console a "lame ass hardware" hazdaz. :rolleyes:

$300 core 360 doesn't include backward compatibility with the prev xbox game plus you only get the console, a single wired controller and the standard A/V cable, no HDD, no ethernet network cable, no headset etc. This revo will be able to play GC games and it's the complete system so you should compare it to the "premium" 360 which cost $400.

If you stop being a pain in nintendo thread they won't insult you in it, wanna bet? :twisted: unless of coz there's another person like you who's also a nintendo fanboy then I can't say nuthin...:shrug:

Bonedaddy
12-30-2005, 08:07 PM
What would a Nintendo thread be without BOTH of you! :)

Point taken. I'ma just shut my mouth. Been in a foul mood for the past bit anywho, sorry to take it out on everyone.

Back to work.

SheepFactory
12-30-2005, 08:09 PM
Hazdaz I suggest you go and play resident evil 4 on gamecube to see what a "lame ass" hardware is capable of doing.

daedalu$
12-30-2005, 08:21 PM
I thought PS3 hardware specs are supposed to be better than Xbox 360's! Or am I under the wrong impression?
No, your right. Thats the common belief. However this has nothing to do with what I was trying to say...

RobertoOrtiz
12-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Guys relax.
Friends, we are talking about consoles not a middle east peace plan.

Keep that in mind.
-R

chrisWhite
12-30-2005, 10:18 PM
The hardware is cool, but it comes down to the games. I still fire up a SNES every once and a while to play Zelda and Soulblazer, N64 for Diddy Kong Racing and some of my favorite games on the Cube are some of the less cutting edge ones like Mario Party and Super Smash Brothers. If the system doesn't live up to the XBox on graphics, but the games are more fun (or more appropriate for the family) I'll end up with a Nintendo before I buy a 360. I hope I have both sitting by my TV by this time next year. :bounce:

Nichod
12-31-2005, 01:03 AM
and super smash bros..... i never understood what was so good about that game. seemed pretty boring to me. button bash, until someone accidently wins.... great fun...

Obviously you've never devoted time to playing it. My son and I play it often its a fun game and has a lot more depth than say a game like tekken.

Its funny everyone thinks the hardware will be subpar. People forget that the gamecube was almost on the level of the first xbox which came out well after the gamecube. Plus we know very little still about the hardware. We do know that it will have a much faster data transfer rate than the box.

DevilHacker
12-31-2005, 01:15 AM
About Xbox vs. Gamecube
Its funny everyone thinks the hardware will be subpar. People forget that the gamecube was almost on the level of the first xbox...Wrong. Do a Google search and look up both of the systems specs…
The gamecube was a little more powerful than the PS2… Not even close to the Xbox.

About Xbox360 Vs. Revolution
Plus we know very little still about the hardware. We do know that it will have a much faster data transfer rate than the box.Wrong again! Please read up on the specks. Nintendo already stated how much ram the Revolution would have. And its HALF the amount than in the Xbox360. There is no way in hell it will/could have faster transfer speeds.

Zarf
12-31-2005, 01:20 AM

The core XB360 is already $300, so unless it is WELL UNDER $299, I call this a major rip off. For a lame ass hardware like this is gonna have, this thing should be priced in at under $199... closer in line with what an XBox1 is going for now since that is roughly gonna be how powerful it is going to be.

Not a flame, but just an opinion: I dont really care if the 'revolution' is a souped up game cube. I dont care how 'lame' the hardware is. What I do care about is how fun the games are, and that is where I will go, where the fun games are.

Bleeding edge graphics can contribute to the fun certinly, but I personally dont need them to enjoy myself. If the graphics are 2 years behind the times on the revolution it wont ruin my enjoyment of what will probably be otherwise top notch gameplay.

Finally as a programmer I know that system specs *only mean so much*, since there are tons of neat tricks you can do on underpowered hardware to get really nice visuals.

Cheers,
Xarf

Nichod
12-31-2005, 03:11 AM
About Xbox vs. Gamecube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichod
Its funny everyone thinks the hardware will be subpar. People forget that the gamecube was almost on the level of the first xbox...

Wrong. Do a Google search and look up both of the systems specs…
The gamecube was a little more powerful than the PS2… Not even close to the Xbox.

About Xbox360 Vs. Revolution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichod
Plus we know very little still about the hardware. We do know that it will have a much faster data transfer rate than the box.

Wrong again! Please read up on the specks. Nintendo already stated how much ram the Revolution would have. And its HALF the amount than in the Xbox360. There is no way in hell it will/could have faster transfer speeds.

Amount of RAM and power doesn't determine performance. Its how everything works together. Apparently you didn't read the revolution hardware thread. From the sound of the specs things should be on par.

The most humerous thing about the xbox, I think, is that people are so anti-MS...but they forget that the xbox is a MS product.

JeroenDStout
12-31-2005, 03:42 AM
Guys relax.
Friends, we are talking about consoles not a middle east peace plan.
Yeah, about that plan-....

;) <runs away laughing like (or because of, rather) mad>

PhilOsirus
12-31-2005, 04:45 AM
The Gamecube never took off because developers didn't support it early on, they all waited after each other. Now they are all rooting for the Revolution, but other than Japanese companies, most will do the same as they have with the Gamecube; they will wait and see, then just offer ports. Too many companies outside Japan have this "release on all consoles" mentality, which makes their products often subpar compared to what they could have been. Also, companies here are always rushing their titles.

In my opinion there is one thing that has happened in 2005 that is telling us what the industry will be like soon: Nintendo DS sales. It sold, in Japan alone, over 500,000 units last week, 400,000 the week before, and another 300,000 the week before. That's over a million units in three weeks, just in Japan, and it's doing very well outside Japan as well.

The DS is creating a wider market for video games and enbodies Nintendo's essence, it's strategy: inexpensive, simple, fun. It is the opposite of what companies have been doing (especially in America and Europe), and which has resulted in big losses for said companies. Expensive ($60 a game, high development costs), complex, boring (in most cases). The only reason publishers are having a hard time right now is because this recipe is non-profitable. It's good for markets where there is no real choice, like the movie industry, not for a market of high competition. Paying $60 for some movie-like game that you'll never play through twice is a huge risk, even if it is associated to some big-name license. Oh sure maybe your title is a hit, but has it been a million copies seller? Nintendo found what low-risk production means, much like Blizzard did here, and a few other companies. Battlefield 2, World of Warcraft, Mario Kart DS, etc. Real sellers. It's not very difficult to tell a good game from a bad one early on, but it takes someone to make the call and stop production of any filler titles before more money has been wasted. Nintendo figured this out, and in the years to come the other big names of the industry will have no choice but to adapt.

theTacio
12-31-2005, 05:27 AM
As far as I can remember...gamecube released at 199$US. This announcement only clarifies that Revolution will be cheaper than the 360's most basic offering. That's all it says. And given Sony's statements, anything cheaper than the 360 will be cheaper than the PS3. I fully expect the Rev to come out at 199 as well. People hoping for anything cheaper than that are crazy...it has to be more expensive than the DS at least.

Nichod
12-31-2005, 06:29 AM
The DS is creating a wider market for video games and enbodies Nintendo's essence, it's strategy: inexpensive, simple, fun. It is the opposite of what companies have been doing (especially in America and Europe), and which has resulted in big losses for said companies Really I think the DS is incredible. It may not have as much hype as the PSP, but it has mariokart playable worldwide, and the sweetest abilities and flexibilities with its games with the tablet functionality. I'm curious how nintendo will beat out the DS with there next portable. What else can they do? I've thought of getting a DS for myself...Dad's toy! The psp just seems like a bundle of hype and nothing more than a modern day gamegear

laureato di arte
12-31-2005, 04:40 PM
whooo I love a good ol nintendo post!! Yes I can imagine the beautiful feeling of playing SSB online for free ! also playing multiplayer metroid prime 3, playing zelda TP with the new controller. I really enjoy hazdads posts, it really wouldnt be a nintendo post without him. doesnt that mean it will be less than Ł150 in the uk? I love the sound of that.

UrbanFuturistic
12-31-2005, 05:19 PM
Of course, what Hazdaz has completely failed to notice is that almost no-one's actually disagreed with what he said, and some pointed out the same things before him, just the bile-filled tone of his post.

Let's show a little contrast:299 is great but what can we play with it?No-one has a problem with animateddaveUnfortunately that's not cheap, the xbox360 costs 39.800 Yen (http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/67334) which is about the same. I was expecting that the Revolution would be cheaper than its competitors, after all it's hardware doesn't seem to be as powerful as theirs.Note how daedalu$ is critical, yet respectful of others, and so does not garner abuse.

In contrast, hazdaz, using phrases like 'lame-ass', shouting (USING ALL CAPS IN PLACES LIKE THIS) and then peremptorily accusing any critics of being fanboys is the sort of thing that pretty much invites a virtual head-kicking.

Yes, Nintendo has screwed up in the past and I can understand this seems to be what is fuelling your apparently pathological hatred of anything Nintendo but could you please at least try to be polite when you criticise them.

regards, Paul

laureato di arte
12-31-2005, 05:35 PM
Of course, what Hazdaz has completely failed to notice is that almost no-one's actually disagreed with what he said, and some pointed out the same things before him, just the bile-filled tone of his post.

Let's show a little contrast:No-one has a problem with animateddaveNote how daedalu$ is critical, yet respectful of others, and so does not garner abuse.

In contrast, hazdaz, using phrases like 'lame-ass', shouting (USING ALL CAPS IN PLACES LIKE THIS) and then peremptorily accusing any critics of being fanboys is the sort of thing that pretty much invites a virtual head-kicking.

Yes, Nintendo has screwed up in the past and I can understand this seems to be what is fuelling your apparently pathological hatred of anything Nintendo but could you please at least try to be polite when you criticise them.

regards, Paul

Please say that word Paul, the word! ;)

I have a really good feeling about this console, if it does follow in the steps of the DS then we are in for a treat.

Lone Deranger
12-31-2005, 05:51 PM
This (http://www.joystiq.com/2005/12/22/nintendo-up-but-microsoft-down-in-japan/) link must be particularly grating for Hazdaz then?
The X360 selling less units than the GameCube during X-mass week in Japan. Look at the marketshare Nintendo has over it's competitors. 75%..... hardly sounds like Nintendo is (or has) screwed up like so many predicted prior to the launch of the DS and PSP.

Nintendo's strategy/philosophy on how to tread the path of future gaming is simply different to that of MS and Sony. Be thankful for the variety that results from this. The demise of one console giant (Sega) is enough of a tragedy as it is. I'd hate to see another victim in this silly race for gaming-world domination. Imagine if we all had to use 3D Studio Maya because Autodesk's vast size and power bought out and killed off all other rival 3D and 2D packages. Variety is good people.
I for one have faith in Nintendo. I'm sure they'll come out with a console that will sell like hotcakes.

laureato di arte
12-31-2005, 06:44 PM
I for one have faith in Nintendo. I'm sure they'll come out with a console that will sell like hotcakes.

amen.... amen:wise:

DevilHacker
12-31-2005, 10:12 PM
This (http://www.joystiq.com/2005/12/22/nintendo-up-but-microsoft-down-in-japan/) link must be particularly grating for Hazdaz then?
The X360 selling less units than the GameCube during X-mass week...Because they are not selling well in Japan means nothing to the overall market share. Look anywhere else in the world. Microsoft is selling them as fast as they can make them. Simple as that.

UrbanFuturistic
01-01-2006, 12:16 AM
True. It was pointed out earlier this week that Japanese retailers have an almost obsessive hatred of that which comes from 'outside'. They're actually discouraging people from buying the 360 in a way that's, well, almost pathalogical.

Now, if you look at the sales figures in any country that isn't surrealistically protective of its domestic corporations, the 360 is selling well.

As much as I want to see Nintendo succeed, even I (and anyone who knows of me here knows I hate Microsoft) can't begrudge MS succeeding when they do something right.

regards, Paul (who went out last night to beat the New Years rush :p)

6foot5
01-01-2006, 04:56 AM
lol...funny thread, do you remember when it used to be Sega Vs Nintendo? If anthropologists ever needed proof of mankinds tribalistic nature then they need look no further than videogames consoles.

laureato di arte
01-01-2006, 10:47 AM
lol...funny thread, do you remember when it used to be Sega Vs Nintendo? If anthropologists ever needed proof of mankinds tribalistic nature then they need look no further than videogames consoles.

funny enuff I was thinking the same thing the other day, humans are always bound to seperate themselves into groups.

thatoneguy
01-01-2006, 11:25 AM
I don't know. I'm all about the graphics. If I wanted to play great games my N64 would have been dusted off in the last 5 years.

Games that make me go wow with amazing visuals are what attract me. Games with an interesting story keep me playing more than 5 minutes and games with good gameplay give my thumbs something to do while I watch the game.

If Nintendo doesn't wow me with graphics, I don't care if their game mechanics are new and innovative. I play games because they're exciting and engaging, I don't know about you, but I get alot more excited about being visually drawn into a game, and feeling like I'm almost there. I've never in my life found a handheld game beside RPGs that kept me interested for more than an hour or two.

Graphics cost money. If they're selling a cheap console with cheap graphics, I'm out, I would much more likely rejoice over the opposite news: revolution will cost more than 299.

CGmonkey
01-01-2006, 12:55 PM

Well when you have something no one of its competitors can offer, then you could take that price. Hell, I could pay 399 for Revolution.

*note I'm going to get all three major ones

animateddave
01-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Well when you have something no one of its competitors can offer

And that is?

SheepFactory
01-01-2006, 07:06 PM
And that is?

i would think its the controller and some pretty unique games.

CGmonkey
01-01-2006, 07:16 PM
i would think its the controller and some pretty unique games.

what he said!

PhilOsirus
01-01-2006, 10:29 PM
True. It was pointed out earlier this week that Japanese retailers have an almost obsessive hatred of that which comes from 'outside'.

That is a myth. Japanese are big Ipod and Mac buyers. The reason the 360 doesn't sell well over there is because of the games it has, first and foremost. It's not something wrong in their heads.

The rest is rumors, give me some sort of proof or a real article (not some forum posts) that claims retailers are telling people not to buy the consoles they have in their own stores.

Oh and add to that the fact that the Japanese-made SEGA consoles never managed to sell well in Japan, their consoles only sold in the same areas the Xbox has. Again, it was due to the lack of support from many important Japanese devs, not hatred of foreign products since that one was Japanese to begin with.

tozz
01-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Why not wait until they deliver anything but hype?
I'd bet some money they'll do another "cheaper than xbox360/ps3" again before revealing the real price, and we'll probably see alot of non-gaming demos of the controller.
The only thing they could do now that would actually be suprising would be to show a good solid list with third party support, that would be some real news.
As it is now, it sounds like "we got a cheap machine" (in the budget sense). It's not, "you're gonna get alot of value for your money", since they don't tell you what you get.

laureato di arte
01-03-2006, 04:33 PM
It's not, "you're gonna get alot of value for your money", since they don't tell you what you get.

well online gaming for free and outa the box, 20 years of nintendo games available for download, it acts as a wireless router, allows you to play games in a new way, I would say thats value for money.

Neil
01-03-2006, 08:36 PM
That is a myth. Japanese are big Ipod and Mac buyers. The reason the 360 doesn't sell well over there is because of the games it has, first and foremost. It's not something wrong in their heads.

Agree, we seem to think all games are made in the US. But plenty of asian companies make games that never come out in US, and xbox needs to branch out more. They did pickup FFXI though. So they're starting atleast.

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2006, 08:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.