PDA

View Full Version : Particles.... AHHHHH!

lando
11-26-2002, 10:46 PM
Hey I know that this is the first version with the particles but the more I'm geting into them the worse they seem to be getting. At first I was impressed with all the controls that there is available to manipulate them..... but now I find that I can become happy with the way they look in the preview window but not actually on my layer. Secondly I'm having trouble getting my cache to render my particles.... at least I can't get it to use the whole cache.... it'll use only 328mb of an available 1.2Gig's ahhh. I've tried numerous things but nothing works.... the cache works proper with everything else except the particles. I'm not sure if there is an answer to this problem or if i just needed to vent my frustrations...
thanks Guys
landon

Nando
11-27-2002, 07:56 PM
The Combustion 2 particle system is heavily dependant on your graphics board. Some boards which aren't OpenGL compliant tend to bog C2 particles down.
Combustion 2 particle system works great with the Ti4600 nVidia boards, because they have 128mb of ram available for cache.

Right Click on Your workspace, and choose Use openGL.
This will increase the response speed of the Elements in the workspace, when they are manipulated.

If you do have a Nvidia based board, turn off Antialiasing in the graphics boards advanced settings.

Also turn off the Mouse pointer shadow in the control panel this sometimes slow downs most 3D aplications .

The memory problem sounds a bit familiar, we have some systems that always default to 40% cache usage, and we have to crank it back up to 100% every time we Launch the program, thats are fix.

Particles render at 8bit, so if you have footage that is 10, 16, or float, the particles wont have the same bit depth and might look unpleasant.

This is all based on my assumption that your running on a PC, if its a Mac well that's a whole other post ;)

Antilles
12-17-2002, 11:06 AM
Lando and Nando

:)

thats funny

i had a few problems with particles too, although i suspect that it has to do with my slow computer.

1armedScissor
12-17-2002, 02:50 PM
Nando: the reason that you're cache reverts back to 40% is probably because you also have 3ds max 5 installed on those computers as well as combustion. It's a bug that I believe discreet is looking to fix.

Lando: something else you might want to do in order to improve your particle performance is to go into your preferences and under "open GL" uncheck the following options:

"use texture ram" and "use software open GL"

you should notice a great improvement with your particles.

Also when you apply a particle operator you immediately go into open GL mode, however as soon as you go back to the top of your stack (composite) it will go back to normal. To fix this and be able to view your particles with your composite in open GL select your composite and under "composite controls>settings>rendering" change it from "software" to "hardware" (or open GL whichever appears) this will allow your composite to play back in open GL. However before you render your final output, change this setting back to software.

I hope this helps.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.