PDA

View Full Version : Maya spline ik issue

Matt Leishman
11-26-2002, 04:58 PM
Hello all!

I'm using Maya 4.5 (but the same issue was in previous versions as well). My concern is that when I create a spline ik handle (for my character's spine for example), the chain of joints involved with the spline shift out of their original position. I need to keep the number of spans on the curve that is generated to 2. Is there any way to prevent this shifting of positioning of the joint chain and still only have a span of 2 on the curve in the spline ik handle? Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Matt Leishman

sp0rk3d
11-27-2002, 06:54 PM
well that is a very tricky issue... the Auto curve will make a curve with ounly 2 spans but you will lose the detail the curve needs to maintain your original shape :(... you could try making your own curve by point snapping the ep curve tool to the joints then useing that curve to create your splineIK.... but you will still have more than 2 spans, i would make my own curve then weight the leftover cv's into clusters ... ie 2spans on a degree 3 curve = 5 cv's so use 5 clusters but some of the clusters will have more than one cv depending on the complexity of the curve you make...my$0.02

how many spine joint do you have btw?
:shrug:

Matt Leishman
11-27-2002, 08:25 PM
hey spork,

a very interesting (and refreshing) way of approaching it. I never thought of creating my own curve first - i'll try it. btw - I have about 9 spine joints, not too many, not too few (at least that's my take). thanx for the tip.

Matt

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.