PDA

View Full Version : Question for the pros on work speed...

Gaboon
12-28-2005, 07:26 PM
I was wondering what the standard expected work time is for modeling a character in the biz. Let's say a character with 5000 poly, a normal map and color map both at 1024. Already provided the concept. I need to gauge myself to see if I am close to the standard work speed. Anybody who has worked at a studio would really help me out with any replies. Thanks :)

aeres
12-29-2005, 02:04 AM
Note first I worked professionally as a high-poly modeler, so the below is actually an estimation based on my own personal low-poly work.

the low poly character and image maps I can manage in less than a working day. As for the normal map, if that means I need to model the highpoly character, it'll take anywhere between days to weeks, depending on the complexity.

jfalconer
12-29-2005, 09:04 AM
this is an interesting topic, lets hear it guys! I remember seeing a making of Resident Evil 4 video, and the person responsible for modeling the main characters sometimes spent up to 1 month per character.

pimeto
12-29-2005, 09:23 AM
the low poly character and image maps I can manage in less than a working day
are you kidding me ? you model, unwrap, and do the texture for a day ?
can we see some of your models pls ?!

aeres
12-29-2005, 11:55 AM
are you kidding me ? you model, unwrap, and do the texture for a day ?
can we see some of your models pls ?!

hehe...I wish I can find them back, haven't been doing low poly for some time now (Alright, you can find my samurai thread if you can dig it up, but that was my first model and it's ugly :D) :P. Note that I said "can manage" means that if need to, I can, but it is not neccesarily the norm.

I dunno about being a low poly modeler in a studio, but when I was working as a high poly modeler my highest record was 3 high poly models, fully UVed and textured in 9 hours, not the best quality, but gets the work done ;)

vrapp
12-29-2005, 12:16 PM
A standard week, at most.

wille
12-29-2005, 01:37 PM
a week at most?that explains alot.

RampanT
12-30-2005, 01:17 PM
It totally depends on the complexity. But if you are working with normal maps, then you're working on high poly, high detail models - and it is these that will take up a lot of the time. I've seen me spend a couple of days working on 1 item of clothing in z-brush. I'm not sure how long an entire character would take - but I'd say to make something to the level of Gears of War, building the high poly mesh, low poly mesh, UV's and texturing (diffuse/specular) - I'd think you'd be more than a month. Maybe 1 and a half months to create something of quality.

I dunno about being a low poly modeler in a studio, but when I was working as a high poly modeler my highest record was 3 high poly models, fully UVed and textured in 9 hours, not the best quality, but gets the work done ;)

I can only imagine that the quality of these suffered immensely. 3 high poly models, UVed and textured in 9 hours to me sounds like the route to below standard assets, and I'm really glad I'm not involved with a company like that. We are always given a reasonable amount of time to create the work, with the emphasis being on quality.

mindrot
12-30-2005, 01:37 PM
Remember... time can also be sped up if you re-use assets. That is, don't keep building your character's parts from scratch if you don't need to. Like reusing hands and shoes from another character. Simply changing the textures also helps, and even making small adjustments to the verts to change the shape as you need.

It's quicker and easier to say turn a male head into a female head than rebuild the model over again.
~M~

LeeLee D
12-30-2005, 11:33 PM
Remember... time can also be sped up if you re-use assets. That is, don't keep building your character's parts from scratch if you don't need to. Like reusing hands and shoes from another character. Simply changing the textures also helps, and even making small adjustments to the verts to change the shape as you need.

It's quicker and easier to say turn a male head into a female head than rebuild the model over again.
~M~

Exactly, and for heads, just slap on a lattice and deform to the next desired shape

Gaboon
12-31-2005, 12:54 AM
Well, the reason I posted this is that I have been doing a lot of art tests lately and I am concerned that I might be taking too long. They ask for a time estimation (which seems strange because one could just as easily lie). I feel good about what I hand in, but I am concerned that it is taking me too long. I did the model I mentioned earlier in about 30 hours. I don't want to post it untill I know for sure that I didn't get the job. I am just frusterated as I don't know if it is my finished product or my time that is the problem. Anybody have any succesfull experience with art tests?

XepptizZ
12-31-2005, 01:32 AM
I haven't touched character modeling yet, but I have made several low poly weapons, ranging from 150 to 400 tri's. Max modelling time was 12 hours, shortest 4. Unwrapping takes up 2 hours tops. Skinning took 4 days at longest, 12 hours at shortest. That's only normals and PS work.

aeres
12-31-2005, 07:57 AM
I can only imagine that the quality of these suffered immensely. 3 high poly models, UVed and textured in 9 hours to me sounds like the route to below standard assets, and I'm really glad I'm not involved with a company like that. We are always given a reasonable amount of time to create the work, with the emphasis being on quality.

Yea, those were the days. At first I was given one model, then two a day, then came three. It was as if they are trying to see how many I can churn out before I break :rolleyes:

Gaboon: I had to switch from LW to Maya, which I was not very familiar with, when I was working for this studio, so I had the same concern as you. For me at that time, pressure happened to be my best motivator to work faster. Though I don't think they deem it reasonable to give me one whole day to model a background prop, regardless of the complexity.

hanzo
12-31-2005, 08:59 AM
sysop is right, I don't think it should take more then a week for a fully complete game character (including high/low 5000 and with all texture maps 1024 diffuse/spec/alpha/norm), more then a month is taking it pretty easy. :rolleyes:

Although I haven't worked professionally at a studio yet, I think expecting an artist to work that hard in a shorter time then a week is quite unreasonable (unless your a season kami) . I managed to get a very impressive character out of a weeks time, I wont say it was "Gears of War" quality to be honest (haha) but it was definitely eye opener

pimeto
12-31-2005, 10:19 AM
Well, the reason I posted this is that I have been doing a lot of art tests lately and I am concerned that I might be taking too long. They ask for a time estimation (which seems strange because one could just as easily lie). I feel good about what I hand in, but I am concerned that it is taking me too long. I did the model I mentioned earlier in about 30 hours. I don't want to post it untill I know for sure that I didn't get the job. I am just frusterated as I don't know if it is my finished product or my time that is the problem. Anybody have any succesfull experience with art tests?
this is odd!
i dont get it why somebody will want you some time to model something ? if you didnt worked ever before ?!
its stupid, everybody knows that when you are a newbee it needs some time to jet in the working process...?!
do you realy have to worry abouth it ? just do the models, say its the best you can do at this moment... and youll see whats the result!

when you are in a team, working on a time shedule youll get bether and bether!
theare is no way that they dont know that!!!

requiem2d
12-31-2005, 10:32 AM
Still too slow, but I'm also no pro! ;)

3 hours texture:

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/1743/render13zr.th.jpg (http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=render13zr.jpg) http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/9130/render27qu.th.jpg (http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=render27qu.jpg)

So I'm assuming should be able to do it in 1 or 2? Not sure.

CGTalk Moderation
12-31-2005, 10:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.