PDA

View Full Version : Sniper Pro on Steroids

paulselhi
12-28-2005, 01:38 AM
I had a chance to play around with a copy of LW over the hols and they have a render plugin called fprime http://www.worley.com/fprime.html

Now this is a very interesting concept and it reminds me very much of sniper pro, what you have basically is a live updating render which does not scanline or bucket render but actually steadily increases total quality over time, so within a few secs you have the whole image available to save and you can let it refine the render as long as you wish

You can also stop a render and because the image AND render details are saved you can come back to it later and continue refining the render quality

apparently you can do this for a whole animation ( not tried it) i would imagine it renders all of the frames at low level then refines them as opposed to a normal render which must finish each frame to move on to the next

This sniper pro like ability to see live updates to your render as well as to be able to stop or pause a render whenever you wish, save a frame and come back to rendering maybe days later seems very neat

I wonder if maybe sniper pro could be developed more to get to fprime level ?

mindful108
12-28-2005, 04:34 AM
Yes, FPrime is definitely an excellent product and I would love to see it developed for Cinema. To tell the truth, I like Lightwave exactly because of FPrime since it makes setting up lighting and materials so much fun. I use Sniper Pro (of course) and although it doesn't really compare completely, it sure does help.

The main problem that I have had with FPrime, or I should say LW is the lack of stability on my Mac. Everything has it's place, I just wish I had more time to use all these fun tools!

In fact, my avatar pic was rendered with LW and FPrime!

I wonder if Sniper Pro is still being further developed? If so then we may be in for some new tricks!

paulselhi
12-28-2005, 05:05 AM
LW's default rendere is bizarre, it reminds me of the old terragen render that built an image up from the back ( you wasted time rendering stuff that was soon rendered over by foreground objects) thankfully fixed

LW seems to have a simmilar approach rendering things that eventually are not seen, it does a very strange set of render passes but in the end the results are very good. Add that to all the options you have with the renderer plus filters and all sorts of arcane effects it really is a good renderer, however i think LW9 has a completley new render engine, i wonder if they are incorporating some of the FPrime / G2 stuff ?

What i would love to see in C4D is some way of analysing the render settings and giving an estimate of the render time, so you play around with the settings and have some idea of the impact this will have on render times before you comit

Also this fprime ability to start the render "full frame" and then increase the detail means you can stop at any time and have a full image to save unlike the scanline or bucket method which force you to do a full render before you can save.. and of course you cannot return to a render at a later time and continue with it

Primitiv
12-29-2005, 01:39 AM
I have to say that a chrome ball on a checker plane is not something that will sell me to fprime or LW. Also, LW is a bitch on Mac. It is slow and unstable. The interface is what has always bugged me the most about LW though. It is ugly and counter-productive. C4D interface is so much better and I really like to have the modeler integrated. C4D with Sniper Pro is just great for me. You can keep LW and fprime.

JoelOtron
12-29-2005, 03:51 AM
I didnt get the impression paul (or mindful) was trying to sell LW at all. :shrug:

He was simply pointing out--as many others have over the past few years, that fprime is a very good tool, and expressing the hope that sniper (or some other tool) might develop along similar lines for c4d.

Primitiv
12-29-2005, 04:25 AM
I wasn't trying to imply that Paul wanted to sell us on LW, nor did I believe it. I was just saying that personally, I would not want LW if it was given to me, especially on a Mac. I know it is a powerful app with a nice rendering engine, but I really dislike the interface too much to use it. I have a lot of fun with C4D, which I never had when I tried LW. It felt slow, sluggish, uncooperative and awkward. If FR2 could be integrated into C4D X and CA really improved, then LW would not be able to compete.

I have looked at every major release of LW, and quite frankly, it looks the same every time. C4D really evolves fast and each incarnation is much stronger than the last.

paulselhi
12-29-2005, 07:19 AM
Is not final touch made by the makers of sniper pro ? There is some similarity in the functionality to fprime in both these plugins perhaps FT could be merged with SP and somehow we gat a version similar to FP, damn i didn't get to use a TLA..oooh just did !!

mindful108
12-31-2005, 06:42 PM
I didnt get the impression paul (or mindful) was trying to sell LW at all. :shrug:

He was simply pointing out--as many others have over the past few years, that fprime is a very good tool, and expressing the hope that sniper (or some other tool) might develop along similar lines for c4d.
Yep! :beer:

Zarathustra
01-02-2006, 03:54 PM
FPrime is an amazing tool. I feel my lighting/texturing skills have grown exponentially because of it. I've definitely become dependent on it and would require something similar in another 3d app for me to consider it to be added to my list of software.

I'm a little disappointed to hear that both Sniper Pro hasn't been updated in quite some time and that many users are claiming instability issues with it with the latest version of C4D.

I think every 3d app needs something like FPrime. Modo will even have something like it, "iView".

MacLW has never been on par with the PC version. This is true. I've used it on Macs since v5.

talos72
01-03-2006, 03:01 AM
I am not sure, but does Sniper Pro even use the same technology as FPrime? I am not certain if Sniper Pro is an IPR (like LW's VIPeR). Even Houdini has its own version of IPR in which you can see isntant updates of your scene, and beyond that you can partially control your final render through the IPR itself by clicking on various objects in the viewer and adjusting various lighting and texture parameters that are then fed back into the main renderer for final output.

I always though C4D should have its own IPR setup.

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2006, 03:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.