PDA

View Full Version : CG Top 20 - CG Retrospective 2005

Leonard
12-27-2005, 08:58 PM
Hi all!

Wishing you a very happy holiday season! We've posted the CG Retrospective 2005, with the Top 20 CG events that happened this year past. This feature is a result of public suggestions and voting.

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3306

Enjoy the look back at yet another eventful year for the CG industry. See you all in 2006!

Best,

Leonard

umfridus
12-27-2005, 09:29 PM
Nice! :thumbsup:

There's a typo on the first page, though: "Final Fantasy VII is ... the movie sevquel".

Leonard
12-27-2005, 09:32 PM
Nice! :thumbsup:

There's a typo on the first page, though: "Final Fantasy VII is ... the movie sevquel".

Thanks. I've fixed the typo but have no idea how that got into the final layout as it wasn't in the editorial submitted... oh well, life happens.

Digit
12-27-2005, 09:40 PM
Interesting!

No surprise to see what at #1 though it might have been nice to see a creative work there. But as the piece says the ramifications of it will be very interesting and, hopefully, will be fantastic too :)

edit: nice presentation by the way!

donkapone
12-27-2005, 09:44 PM
wow what a retrospective, amazing that so much happened in 2005...

CGmonkey
12-27-2005, 11:07 PM
I really enjoyed reading this article, you guys do it a lot better than most of the magazines out there. Very good stuff :thumbsup:

paintbox
12-27-2005, 11:14 PM
I really enjoyed reading this article, you guys do it a lot better than most of the magazines out there. Very good stuff :thumbsup:

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the community made up this list ? :D

I agree, cool article, it is great to see a run down of all things that buzzed this year in CG-land :)

IanBlackford
12-27-2005, 11:29 PM
great article Leonard

read it a couple of days ago or whenever it was initally published and agree its great to have a concise overview of the past year in cg like that :thumbsup:

thanks

SDIT
12-27-2005, 11:44 PM
very nice.

thanks for putting the poll together.

TraceR
12-28-2005, 12:26 AM
Looks nice! I always liked these. :beer:

Teriander
12-28-2005, 12:44 AM
I was interested in viewing the DVD of Final Fantasy VII from the link provided on the Top 20 list. The link takes me to Amazon's Final Fantasy VII DVD purchase, but the shipping date for this film says "2010"?? Is that correct? Is it telling me I wont receive this DVD till 2010? What if my address changes by then!

ragdoll
12-28-2005, 02:13 AM
What if my address changes by then!

lol! and the fact that it takes another 5 years for it to arrive is ok with you?
what a dilemma... :D

awesome article dudes!
i enjoyed it!
got me all hyped... :thumbsup:

-rj

Neil
12-28-2005, 02:16 AM
lol.
yeah FF is never gonna make it ;)

It's also amazing that a lot of this all happened right at the end of the year.

paperclip
12-28-2005, 03:25 AM
No big suprises there- I thought the alias/autodesk debacle would come first and it did. Wasn't that such a crazy time though? Everyone was so shocked! Autodesk Maya...who woulda thought it....

I'm still waiting to see a photoshop version of flash though......dream UI..

MrPositive
12-28-2005, 06:31 AM
Well you definitely didn't flub number 1, otherwise great job and this whole things was quite fun.

kmest
12-28-2005, 09:41 AM
great list...i was sure about the no.1......great shock..1920 posts....a record in cgtalk history:scream:

opus13
12-28-2005, 10:25 AM
the only thing that seems put of place is #2.

the fact that "02: Pixologic ZBrush Continues Prevalence", which is essentially saying "Zbrush still exists" is the second most important thing to happen for CG in 2005? Number 1 is an obvious choice... but saying that a small company happens to be doing pretty well is more important than Adobe buying Macromedia?

Thats just ridiculous, bordering retarded. Both Adobe and Macromedia supply 'single instance' software worldwide. There is no Photoshop replacement and there is no Flash replacement. For these companies to merge is arguably much more important than even Alias and Autodesk becoming one, seeing as there as other software packages with similar features and functionality.

If thats how people actually voted... then this isn't the professional forum that it is advertised as. It's just a group of software zealots.

DrFx
12-28-2005, 10:45 AM
Number 1 is an obvious choice... but saying that a small company happens to be doing pretty well is more important than Adobe buying Macromedia?

Exactly. I always thought Adobe would be second, and if Alias/Autodesk didn't happen, it would be #1 for me! My prediction for next year?

"Autodesk Media and Entertainment acquire Mental Images and Pixologic in time for SIGGRAPH 2006!" :eek:

zman
12-28-2005, 11:22 AM
Its funny that we chose the only thing in the list that didnt have any real effect on us yet as number one.
was pretty obviuse tho' :hmm:

I'm glad FF made it in.
Hope to see more of those next year.

Oh ya, and I agree on number 2. Zbrush is revolutionary, no doubt about it, BUT its last year's news ... yes, people stil use it since then and its amazing but its not 2005 news... does putting it as such a main event mean it will also be a main event in 2006 if ppl stil use it ??

pichoo
12-28-2005, 11:28 AM
I reckon many of cgtalkers use zbrush. Also this forum is more about 3d than 2d, hence the lack of choice in 2d editing programs, like adobe and macromedia. Altho no doubt that photoshop is the most basic thing that a cg user would have know. Now if adobe was bought by some autodesk, than it could be no.1 :)

umfridus
12-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Yep, there's no doubt CGTalk is more geared towards 3D - just look at the viewing number of application-specific forums. New releases of major 3D packages are sureshots to break the top 20, but Adobe CS2 and Macromedia Studio 8 didn't make the list (neither did Painter IX last year). This is no indication that people here are more software zealots than professionals, however.

Chris Bacon
12-28-2005, 04:50 PM
HEHE maxwell rendering came out on my birthday.......I supose Im the only one gona find that amusing.........ahem!!!

Bonedaddy
12-28-2005, 05:29 PM
the only thing that seems put of place is #2.

the fact that "02: Pixologic ZBrush Continues Prevalence", which is essentially saying "Zbrush still exists" is the second most important thing to happen for CG in 2005? Number 1 is an obvious choice... but saying that a small company happens to be doing pretty well is more important than Adobe buying Macromedia?

Thats just ridiculous, bordering retarded. Both Adobe and Macromedia supply 'single instance' software worldwide. There is no Photoshop replacement and there is no Flash replacement. For these companies to merge is arguably much more important than even Alias and Autodesk becoming one, seeing as there as other software packages with similar features and functionality.

If thats how people actually voted... then this isn't the professional forum that it is advertised as. It's just a group of software zealots.

Honestly, I agree, although I wouldn't have used such inflammatory language. There's a number of "WTF" choices on that list.

1) FF7 movie isn't even out in America. Practically nobody has heard of it.
2) LPics is not, and most likely will not become, open to the public. Disney has something functionally similar, why aren't they on this list?
3) CG Society... honestly isn't that important yet. My co-worker saw it yesterday and asked with a puzzled look, "Is that the Visual Effects Society?"
4) I am still not convinced Xbox 360 is anything that impressive, but that's more personal semantics.
5) Apple's move to Intel... doesn't really affect pretty much anyone. Just the pace of technology.
6) Same with the dual-core and 64-bit entries. You could've just said "stuff gets faster."
7) Zbrush, as already noted.

This sort of stuff upsets me, because it reveals clear biases and skewed viewpoints in the crowd here. A lot of it seems like people caught up in marketing hullaballoo. If you're working with this stuff day in and day out, you start to see that 75% of this list does not affect the industry or your daily life in any meaningful way.

nemirc
12-28-2005, 06:03 PM
2) LPics is not, and most likely will not become, open to the public. Disney has something functionally similar, why aren't they on this list?

But if the paper is out wouldn't that mean that some geniuses would be able to develop the system themselves?
Not that I am in favor of the lpics thing. I couldn't care less about it but I really want to know.

Bonedaddy
12-28-2005, 06:14 PM
Theoretically, but there's a lot more to it than what's in that paper, I'm betting. The paper gives a broad overview, and anyone wanting to implement it would have to invest a significant amount of r&d time above and beyond that. Moreover, it's pretty pipeline-specific, so unless one of the major apps decides to start dictating how people should run their pipelines, I don't see the technology being folded into any major app anytime soon.

nemirc
12-28-2005, 06:36 PM
Theoretically, but there's a lot more to it than what's in that paper, I'm betting. The paper gives a broad overview, and anyone wanting to implement it would have to invest a significant amount of r&d time above and beyond that. Moreover, it's pretty pipeline-specific, so unless one of the major apps decides to start dictating how people should run their pipelines, I don't see the technology being folded into any major app anytime soon.

I thought so, heh.
So if LPics made it to the retrospective I can think of a few tools that other studios have developed that could also be there... ¨_____¨

I had been expecting for this list for a while but I am rather disappointed... and I don't think I am the only one, lol.

Bonedaddy
12-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I mean, I don't want to bash this forum, or anyone here, but... it honestly does upset me, and I'm not going to act like it doesn't.

Elbarto
12-28-2005, 07:40 PM
Really missing the release of Blender 2.4 which brings hairs, fluids, softbodies and fluids for free (besides a complete reworked animation system).

www.blender.org

umfridus
12-28-2005, 07:58 PM
Really missing the release of Blender 2.4 which brings hairs, fluids, softbodies and fluids for free (besides a complete reworked animation system).

www.blender.org (http://www.blender.org)
Blender 2.40 was released too late to be nominated. Maybe it (or a newer version) will make the list next year.

ralphmanning
12-29-2005, 01:02 AM
As mentioned, I also donít agree with #2. I think Adobe buying Macromedia should be #2 instead.

malcolmvexxed
12-29-2005, 06:13 AM
Thought sin city should've been #1 but i'm biased. good article.

SpiralFace
12-29-2005, 08:57 PM
I thought the list was spot on give or take.

The big Two was exactly what I thought they should be and the minor ones where in a fair place.

Personlay I don't think Kong should be THAT high on the list, but then again, we've all pretty much just walked out of the theaters to see it, so the voteing pool probably is still stuned by everything in the movie.

Sagii
12-30-2005, 12:56 AM
I agree with the Big 2... the BIG 1 being the biggest shocker of the year for sure.

Nice article :D

drawdraw.com
12-30-2005, 03:59 AM
whaaaat? no chicken little???????? NOOOOOOO!!! lol

sumpm1
12-30-2005, 08:22 AM
The results were actually determined by cgtalk member votes right? I also was bewildered by #2. But this is a 3d forum... Also, Adobe buying Macromedia has about as much to do with 3d as GM buying Ford. Sure we use Photoshop for textures, and others may use some Adobe video software, but it has little to do with 3d. I think what they consider groundbreaking for ZBrush 2 is that it is actually being USED rather than being a cool toy, or a "weird 2.5" tool. The fact that this innovative tool is becoming commonplace is about as close to innovation as the young generation has scene as far as software goes. It's akin to the first version of Maya or 3ds. ZBrush was last year's news, but this year ZBrush's place in the artist's world was born and gave us lots of art.

I think a real innovation would be some 3d plugins in Photoshop. I want Zbrush to BE a plugin for photoshop so I can use Photoshop's brushes and filters.

opus13
12-30-2005, 10:41 AM
lso, Adobe buying Macromedia has about as much to do with 3d as GM buying Ford.

thats like saying "killing has nothing to do with hunting" or "the brake pedal has nothing to do with driving".

by the way... this is a CG forum. CG for "computer graphics". if you visit the gallery i think you might have a tough time finding any finished piece that didnt use photoshop. even if a digital painting was done with painter, its a million-to-one-bet that it was at least resized for distribution with photoshop. adobe is an intrinsic part of the 3d workflow... whereas any single 3d application is not.

Igo
12-30-2005, 07:51 PM
This is a 3d forum? Wow, guess that Finished/WIP 2d sections should be taken down, same for the 90% front page pieces that are PS/Painter pieces as well.

sumpm1
12-30-2005, 07:56 PM
I guess you're right opus, I was sitting here thinking "only 3d", whereas CG applies to all "computer" art. But, I did say it had little to do with "3d", which I still believe. Even if Photoshop is a huge part of 3d, The acquisition of any other companies has nothing to do wtih Photoshop even. #1 is not the release of Photoshop, nor does it relate to Photoshop, how does Macromedia affect CG?

Neil
12-30-2005, 08:07 PM
But if the paper is out wouldn't that mean that some geniuses would be able to develop the system themselves?

There are also a lot of car manuals out there too, ever try making your own car?

archerx
12-30-2005, 09:46 PM
There are also a lot of car manuals out there too, ever try making your own car?

It's not impossible and it won't look as good but could be lots of fun :P

webhead
12-31-2005, 05:46 AM
Interesting, but not surprising that Apple made the list this year for several reasons. I remember just a few years ago, several experts, as well as a computer geek I know, were pronouncing Apple as legally dead.
According to an article on CNN, rumors of Apple's death have been greatly exaggerated:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/biztech/12/26/apple.whats.next.ap/index.html

erlik
01-02-2006, 09:02 PM
Well, I've got issues with a couple of entries. No, not with ZBrush. :p

Number 4 - 3D industry embraces 64 bit. Yep, it's nice that there are 64-bit versions of XSI, Cinema and Lightwave. But it won't mean a thing until we have functional 64-bit Windows. That is, drivers, drivers, drivers for everything and anything.

More or less ditto for 8. Untill OSX is officially able to run on any kind of processor, motherboard and what not, it's meaningless. But I don't think Apple will relinquish the control that made them a niche player instead of mainstream. Besides, I may not be informed enough, but is there a killer app that runs on Macs and not on Windows? Shake? Is that so much better than After Effects?

In terms of 3D and CG, I think Renderman for Maya is certainly more important than either dual core or 64-bit.

Films on the list... it's interesting that three of them have superb CG and do not function all that well as films. :argh:

But since I didn't vote, this is only academic.

BTW, another typo: in 3ds max entry, it's spelled with capital M. Spelling checker overreacted?

nemirc
01-02-2006, 11:58 PM
...Besides, I may not be informed enough, but is there a killer app that runs on Macs and not on Windows? Shake? Is that so much better than After Effects?

Last thing I heard is that Shake was also available for Linux... not sure if that's still the case???:shrug:
And yes, Shake is better than AfterFX but I never heard of people rushing to switch their PCs for macs just to continue using shake :rolleyes:

opus13
01-03-2006, 12:03 AM
Last thing I heard is that Shake was also available for Linux... not sure if that's still the case???:shrug:
And yes, Shake is better than AfterFX but I never heard of people rushing to switch their PCs for macs just to continue using shake :rolleyes:

yes, its still available for linux, but its not better than after effects. they are made for different market segments, and in many respects are very complimentary applications. do your compositing in shake, and then bring the footage to aftereffects for titling, motion graphics, or any thing else.

erlik
01-03-2006, 12:35 AM
yes, its still available for linux, but its not better than after effects. they are made for different market segments, and in many respects are very complimentary applications. do your compositing in shake, and then bring the footage to aftereffects for titling, motion graphics, or any thing else.

Good, I didn't know that, cause I'm very far from film and animation.

But is Shake the killer app like, for instance, Pagemaker was? People were buying Macs because of Pagemaker.

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2006, 12:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.