PDA

View Full Version : Help-Modeling-Polygon Hands

Mordin
12-27-2005, 03:38 PM
Hi,

Trying to model a human character with a fair amount of detail (about 6000 tris). I have managed to do most of it, but am having some trouble with the Hands and his Butt. The tutorials i have seen are either too low on polys (I want to animate the hands so I want a little more detail than what i have) or too many polys. Also (how do i put this) his 'butt' area is not quite right :D

I have attatched some pics to show you what I mean.

Can Anyone direct me to some good tutorials, or post some close ups of hands so I know what i am aiming for? I have tried looking but keep coming up with the wrong things.

Thanks for your help

Psyk0
12-27-2005, 04:45 PM
There's definately something wrong with his butt. Right now it looks more like a crotch, the cheek should be part of the leg, not just sitting in the middle...i'll try to find some helpful images.

Augh
12-27-2005, 08:46 PM
...is the model Joe Dredd? :P

Hmm why don't you just take what you have, and add loops until it looks and deforms how you want? If you've been looking through hand tuts, you'll have noticed most of them do similar things around the knuckles to allow correct deformation, you could cut a few extra loops and these would deform ok. Go back to a couple of those tutorials and see how they use extra loops to allow one side of the joint to stretch, and the other to compress. You should be able to get the level you want pretty easily with a little planning.

Cheers :thumbsup:

antodonnell
12-27-2005, 09:51 PM
Heh Mordin, The butt first off should extend across the whole hips and not just the center thats why it looks like a crotch. As for the hand I ve posted two examples I find the bottom left works ok. have one edge underneath that branches to two over the knuckle for deformation . or use 3 edge loops as in the right example. The butt example isnt correct either but will give you an idea of what I mean. Hope this helps.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~antodonnell/cuts.jpg

CG-Gordon
12-27-2005, 10:00 PM
A couple of tips that might help for the hand.

Model the hand primarily so that it is perpendicular to your working xyz axis i.e. so that you can make extrusions and move verts edges etc with ease in the right direction. Then once modelled place the hand into position on the end of the arm.

Model one finger first then duplicate this with small adjustments to size and position for the other four fingers. Model the thumb so it sits in a natural position with the rest of the hand (as if your hand was about to clasp an object). I would try to avoid modelling the thumb inline with the fingers and fully extended, this might be a personal preference though.

A good starting point would be to check out the Joan of Arc tutorial which I think has been adapted to just about every modelling package out there and can be found easily by searching in google. This tutorial is for a high poly model but should still be useful for low poly work too. Hope that helps a little.

Mordin
12-30-2005, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

nath devlin: - Those pics will definately help.

I kinda realised it was a case of adding edge loops around the knuckles and so on, I just find that I dont know when to stop, which isnt ideal with game characters.

CG_Gordon:- I think I did model the hand along the X axis to start with, I was actually following a tutorial for an unreal character, but wasnt impressed with the end result. I wanted a more detailed hand to animate with.

Oh - and i forgot to mention it is a gloved hand.

I will try and get on and remodel, and may post the results.

CGTalk Moderation
12-30-2005, 06:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.