PDA

View Full Version : Remove blur from out of focus camera

DrQuincy
12-27-2005, 11:47 AM
I am trying to perform some image restoration on an out of focus image that is the result of a camera out of focus. What is the best way to do this? I'm playing around with Unsharp Mask but am not having a great deal of luck.

Thanks.

Jack Youngblood
12-27-2005, 04:56 PM
Sorry mate. It cant be done.

The principle is this: blur = loss of imformation. Photoshop cant invent that information.

There are various plugins and techniques (mostly involving unsharp masking) that claim to be able to go some way.... but I have never seen a satisfactory result. Unless anyone out there knows different?

boeserWolf
12-27-2005, 05:27 PM
... jup this is practical not posible... you can sharpen it in few different ways, but i guess the result will never satisfy you ... as Jack said, information which the camara dont caught cant be recreated with a computer progam ;)

DrQuincy
12-27-2005, 11:33 PM
Thanks for your input. I thought that might be the case - I have *improved* the image with Unsharp Mask but I suppose there is only so much you can do.

Just to clarify - if you have a single image is Unsharp Mask the best way to do it? I have seen there is a new Smart Sharpen feature on CS2 - is this any better?

Thanks again.

Jack Youngblood
12-27-2005, 11:39 PM
dont know about smart sharpen (no cs2 yet ;)).

best way = a mix of unsharp mask and blending original image with adjusted one. Cant remember how exactly.... just play and see.

evanfotis
01-12-2006, 06:54 PM
if you have a single image is Unsharp Mask the best way to do it? I have seen there is a new Smart Sharpen feature on CS2 - is this any better?
Yup. It is basically U.M. with parameters you can change, in highlights/shadows area and removal of gausian/motion blur.http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/evanfotis/Pictures/smartsharpen.jpg

Neil
01-12-2006, 09:50 PM
post the picture you're trying to fix. I mean it's true that you can't "make-up" information, but you can take nearby colors to complete your image. Again, this is situation specific, would need to see the pic first.

CGTalk Moderation
01-12-2006, 09:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.