PDA

View Full Version : Making Money w/Photoshop?

panadar
12-26-2005, 11:54 PM
Question about making money using Photoshop. I have a friend of mine who is looking to change careers. She loves painting and drawing. From the pictures I've seen, she seems to have some talent in this area. Certainly enough where I think she could make a living at doing what she likes to do. I suggested to her that she learn Photoshop. I also suggested that she develop a both a physical & digital art portfolio asap.

My question is this: what steps can a person take to become a professional as quickly as possible. Either a freelancer, or working for a company? Any information you have would be more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Jaycee77
12-27-2005, 12:00 AM
Lots of practice, dedication and patience. Just becasue you know a piece of software doesn't mean it will make you money. Initially if she doesn't have a portfolio built up then she may need to take a few free gigs to attract business and build up a portfolio to showcase to prospective clients.

Basically as with anything you really want, it will take patience and dedication. If you have both of those then you can never truly fail.

Good luck to her.

DrQuincy
12-27-2005, 09:41 AM
The irony is the more you want to do something purely for money (especially with creative things) the less likely you are to do so. I'd bet most of the really good artists you see on this website do it mainly because they are so in love with their work. Any money you make is a bonus. That's true for myself and a few others I know anyway . . .

I'm not trying to put you off, all I'm saying is develop a yearning for the work. Find out what you are good at and passionate about and then once you feel like you're mastering it explore the money-making pontetial. If you try it the other way round your chances of success are not so good.

Good luck!

sumpm1
12-30-2005, 07:49 AM
I totallly agree Quincy. If you could make money just for knowing how to use software, i'd be rollin in it

halo
12-30-2005, 09:22 AM
Of course you can make money using the applications...thats why they made them, the home "amateur" market was non-existant when they were released. Just knowing the software keeps 1000's of max jockeys in usb cup warmers the world over.

You can find incredibly talented people out there that do make money, and talented ones that cant...you have to be successful in finding a commercial application for you images that makes money...its no use just painting pretty pictures and expecting them to sell...they may do, but odds are you wont make a living out of it.

voodoo_nightmare
12-30-2005, 11:21 AM
The irony is the more you want to do something purely for money (especially with creative things) the less likely you are to do so. I'd bet most of the really good artists you see on this website do it mainly because they are so in love with their work. Any money you make is a bonus. That's true for myself and a few others I know anyway . . .

I'm not trying to put you off, all I'm saying is develop a yearning for the work. Find out what you are good at and passionate about and then once you feel like you're mastering it explore the money-making pontetial. If you try it the other way round your chances of success are not so good.

Good luck!

Very well stated Quincy!!

CGTalk Moderation
12-30-2005, 11:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.