PDA

View Full Version : Tipps on 3D character Modeling

TryForce
12-26-2005, 10:59 PM
Sup everybody

Im just in a young age and i joined a lil company ... i would be really happy if
any of you could give me tipps on making characters for a game... like polyflow, polycount , what maps to use.. what colrs and stuff

thank you very much :)

Swizzle
12-26-2005, 11:13 PM
Well, it all depends upon what kind of game you're making.

If you're making a modern FPS, then you're probably going to be using stuff like normal maps and fairly high-poly models with pretty high resolution textures.

If you're making models for a realtime strategy game then you're going to make models that probably have a few hundred polygons at most since the computer has to display many of them at once. The textures will also be very small in comparison to a modern FPS's.

A next-gen console game, a game for something like the PS3 or Xbox360, will have very high polycount budgets and huge textures.

As for colors and things of that nature, it all depends upon the overall aesthetic or look and style of the game. If the game is a fantasy RPG then it's probably going to be more colorful and stylized than something like a first-person shooter.

Perhaps if you gave us an idea of what you're thinking about we can provide some help. Right now your request just isn't specific enough to give any useful info.:shrug:

TryForce
12-26-2005, 11:27 PM
thanks,

nway we like to do a Massive Mutliplayer online game :)

Swizzle
12-26-2005, 11:48 PM
Hmm. Well, being that I'm not really an expert, I can't give a very educated set of pointers or anything. I do know that a lot of MMO games use segmented characters and such so you can swap out armor and weapons easily without changing the entire model. I also know that many online games are designed to work well on low-end computers and slow connections, so that means that their poly counts for various objects, characters, and environments is actually fairly low and they use small textures.

You should take a look at various MMO games and see what appeals to you or look at just what's relevant to your project. There are a few people on here that have worked on games of that sort, so ask around. You're bound to get good results if you do your research.

TryForce
12-26-2005, 11:55 PM
thanks alot buddy :D

nway what do you think... how many polys i should us max for low ends comps? 2-3k tris?
id like to know it, because im discussing with a friend about it.. he means that in 2 years (when the game is may finished ) the comps can take over 6k ....

Tiberius
12-27-2005, 04:09 AM
While there are plenty of examples to be found at CGTalk and many other forums, many of the issues you raise MUST be resolved by your dev team (your art leads/director and programmers and so on). Only they can establish a baseline for what will work in their engine. Forums are a great place to look for examples of good mesh flow, UV layout, character rigging, and so on, but they are a poor place to start framing the minimum specs for an MMO (i.e. a 2.0 Ghz Pentium IV with 512 megs, DirectX 9.0 compatible card, a broadband connection, and 10 gigs of harddrive space).

After that, I would suggest looking at the entries over at www.realtimecg.com (http://www.realtimecg.com/). After that, try using the search tool here and at many other sights (www.cgtalk.com (http://www.cgtalk.com), www.polycount.com (http://www.polycount.com), www.cgtotal.com (http://www.cgtotal.com), and many others) to find characters already put up by many of the talented artists that frequent these boards. Once you find a few artists you like, try searching for more of their work or visiting their web pages (if they have one, obviously) to learn more.

As it stands right now, you really need a lot more info from your own team before you can move forward.

Auctane
12-27-2005, 04:54 AM
practice and then parctice some more.

ChimpanG
12-27-2005, 10:47 AM
you sound to me to be about 13 with a passion to make a game.. this isnt a bad thing.
it's not going to work though, I really suggest you and your group focus on not making a game, but rather doing a level for an existing one and getting that 100% perfect.
I've been in your position and can call from expirience that modding an existing engine is your best bet right now.
If you are looking outside of your group for this kind of info then your not ready for it yet.
This place is best for finding out current polycounts and limits but not for finding out min specs and such.

TryForce
12-27-2005, 10:51 AM
yeh i allready know those sites.. you may also forgot cgchat.com

nway i understand what you all means and i gues itll help me some more :)
thanks

nway i get 15 not along time ago (just 2 weeks ago) and i allready worked for mods and stuff.. and this was pretty useless.. it just stoped to improve my skills.
I did get tired of all those mods >_<

i allready done several characters and stuff so i may show them off later.

nway thanks

ChimpanG
12-27-2005, 12:01 PM
i don't see what difference there can be really, you can do a total conversion of an engine, for example Source.
But making your own engine isn't something that is going to be done very well just like that, you will need really expirienced coders and it doesnt look like thats the case.
But its your choice obviously and we're all here to help you along the way to getting there if you choose to make it so yeah, i'll be back later with some specs for bottom end machines or something i guess

CGTalk Moderation
12-27-2005, 12:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.