PDA

View Full Version : Dabs/Brushes (capturing and managing)

TseTse
12-26-2005, 10:38 PM
Hiyas

I'm still learning Painter and use IX. I've been poking around with images hoses and various ways to produce textures. I am still learning the Painter lingo and tools.

SO!

I figured out how to easily establish custom 'dabs' but am desperately missing the ability to browse a bunch of subtle dabs like you could browse "tip shapes" in photoshop.

I'm wondering what tips folks might have for organizing various brushes with different dab settings and such.

I'd just make new custom palette brushes if i knew how to make the icons better reflect the dabs I'm using.

I'm also wondering if there is a way to use the tracker to manage a specific library of brushes because there you can see the dabs). I'm just not sure how to save tracker libraries beyond setting variants. Does locking them just put them at the top as "stickies" and is this what others do?

Anyways, for those who have gone through this process... I'm basically just wanting some subtle brush variations and an ability to save/select them in the way i might setup a bunch of tool presets in PS with different tip shapes.

Yes, I've looked around various sites and threads but usually folks are talking in terms of completely different entire brush TYPES, but not merely variations on dabs/tips.

Eager for thoughts from more experienced folks :D

Jinbrown
12-27-2005, 02:28 PM
Hi,

If you want to be able to select a Captured Dab brush variant without having to look through the brush variant list, create a separate brush category for each of your custom Captured Dab variants and use the individual Captured Dab JPG image files as the brush category icons.

To learn how to create and use custom brush categories for your custom brush variants, read the following:

Painter IX Help > Help Topics > Contents tab > Customizing Brushes

On the right panel, click the link named "Managing Custom Brushes".

On the next page, read the following sections:

"Creating a New Brush Category"

"Copying Variants Between Brush Categories"

Happy New Year!

TseTse
12-27-2005, 09:53 PM
yes!

Thanks. I had been poking around and noticed you can establish your own category icons which will go a long ways (although i still have to learn about managing brushes across groups/categories so that's next!). This has carried me into a nice comfort-zone with Painter :D

So, do most people make their own brush categories like this?

BTW, when we export/save brushes do they embed any riffs and dab images along with them? I'm curious if i'd have to redo sources on captures and rendering dabs in moving my brushes to another computer or if they become embedded in such brush libraries, etc.

Jinbrown
12-27-2005, 10:53 PM
I think a lot of people organize their favorite brush variants individually in custom brush categories. Not all people do, though.

Go to the Corel Painter IX application/program folder and study the basic (as installed) Painter IX > Brushes > Painter Brushes brush library folder and all of its sub folders and files to understand Painter's brush hierarchy.

As you'll see, there are no RIFF files used with Painter's brushes, only JPG files for the brush category icons and Captured Dab images.

Also understand that any custom preferences, settings, and custom brush folders and files will be automatically written by Painter IX to the Corel Painter IX User folder.

You'll find the path for Windows and Mac to the User folder in:

Painter IX Help > Help Topics > Contents tab > A Workspace Tour

On the right panel, click the link named "Brush Libraries".

On the next page, scroll down and read the section named "Restoring the default Corel Painter settings". Below the second paragraph, you'll see the User folder paths for Mac and Windows.

CGTalk Moderation
12-27-2005, 10:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.