PDA

View Full Version : EDITORIAL: Xbox 360 launch marking a downturn for gaming? MOD EDIT

Hazdaz
12-26-2005, 08:15 PM
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051226-5844.html

The Xbox 360 launch has been meet with mixed enthusiasm. While the console debuted mostly to yawns in Japan (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051213-5755.html), the launch in North America was hectic (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051122-5609.html): long lines, short supplies, and still thousands of people hoping for a post-Christmas miracle in the form of a New Year's Xbox 360 rush. The European launch was also strong. You might be inclined to think that the gaming industry is felling good about itself right now, but according to the Wall Street Journal (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB113539662281331190.html?mod=technology_main_whats_news) (sub. required) that's not really the case.

Restated game sales figures from the NDP Group show a depressed November, with games sales dipping 18 percent from the same period a year ago. Gaming stalwarts like EA and Activation are warning that their profits will be less than hoped for when all is said and done for this quarter, putting a sad face on many investors. This has many folks scratching their heads; isn't this the hot time for gaming? How can it be that holiday 2005 didn't end up gangbusters? It looks as though this year's scapegoat may be the Xbox 360 launch, but there are signs that 2006 could continue this trend.

It all depends on how much gravity these new systems really have. Analysts attribute a big part of the decline in sales to a lack of purchasing conviction among gamers, who they see as reticent to buy games for what is now officially an "old console." While far more people have the original Xbox than the 360 at this point, the mere release of the 360 is seen by some to be enough to drag original Xbox game sales into the gutter. Why buy a game for an old console when you could be saving for a new one? The worry around the industry is that this trend could last through much of 2006, as new consoles from Sony and Nintendo make their way to the populace. In a conference call last week, Warren Jenson, CFO at EA, said "we have no reason to believe this abrupt shift in demand for current generation software will reverse itself."

If predictions are true and 2005 ends up 5 percentage points below 2004's numbers, the industry will tread lightly in 2006. After all, 5 percent is a big dip for a US$25 billion industry that's fantasizing at taking taking the spot occupied by the bigger $38 billion music business. But the ~5 year console refreshment cycle functions a bit like an active volcano, erupting from time to time and mixing up the industry. "Every time there's a transition, the industry hits a reset button," says John Taylor, a games analyst at Arcadia Investment Corp. in Portland, Oregon. "There's no question there's an opportunity for some to dramatically enhance or lose their position."

At least for Microsoft, the hope is that backwards compatibility will comfort gamers who are sticking with ye olde black beast (that is, the original Xbox) for now. Indeed, not only are they promoting backwards compatibility, but the company was happy to trumpet improved graphics for old games (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051112-5558.html), as well. The thinking is clear: go ahead and stick with the original Xbox, because the new games you buy will also play on the Xbox 360, and will even look better than before. This thinking can get problematic, however, when one realizes that many of the Xbox 360's games are also available as regular Xbox games, already. There's a swath of gamers out there who won't buy NBA Live 06 for the Xbox because the 360 version is also out, and it looks better. When there's only a little incentive to purchase a game, something like this can wipe it away easily.

And that's the question: are the games good enough to buy on their own merits? On some level, this old versus new question shouldn't matter. Can't a compelling, well promoted game sell anyway? It's hard to say. Much like the music industry, the top 10 gaming titles often look as cheesy and played-out as the top 10 singles chart. The list is dominated by the likes of NBA Live 06, Madden NFL 06NCAA 2006, FIFA Soccer 2006, Tony Hawk's American Wasteland, and The Sims 2. This isn't to say that these are horrid, bad, evil games. But many games showing up on the top of the charts are sequels, and they haven't fallen too far from the tree. This is a particular problem for EA, whose catalog is dominated by sequels (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050809-5189.html). Yet EA isn't unique in this; as Jeremy pointed out in his article on cross-platform game development (http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/crossplatform.ars/1), of the top 100 games, only 13 (http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/crossplatform.ars/2) are neither sequels nor movie/TV licenses. (occupying top spots for the Xbox, and PS2),

The gaming market has seen tremendous growth over the last ten years, but too many "me too" titles will continue to haunt them, new consoles or not. In fact, I find it mildly ironic that when talking to friends about their Xbox 360s, it's not Madden or or Project Gotham Racing 3 that they tend to rave about. Nope, it's usually the Xbox Live Arcade, with its assortment of classic retro games and puzzles. Make of that what you will.

Some of you guys might find this article interesting. I think - as usual - they are crying wolf. After all, they are stating a possible 5% decline, yet over the last 10 years the entire industry has increased many many times that amount. If there is going to be a small 'correction' in sales, that doesn't mean that doom is coming for the gaming industry at all. Also, they are using figures from Novemeber - yet the XB360 wasn't introduced until 1/2-way through the month, so I would expect game sales were depressed until the new console was actually released.

Ofcourse later on in the article, I think it states the real reason that profits might be down for the gaming industry - sequel after sequel after sequel... and with EA spearheading the sequel-itis disease.
The biggest thing that could derail the gaming industry could be EA turning this industry into what ClearChannel did to the radio industry in the US. :banghead:

laureato di arte
12-26-2005, 08:52 PM
its early days yet, its early,

ExKArt
12-26-2005, 09:37 PM
Small dips are bound to happen, downturn? no.

IMHO.:)

UrbanFuturistic
12-26-2005, 09:56 PM
I seem to remember this happening with the PS2 launch as well. Here's a few factors they've missed out:

Sales won't be up because of the XBOX 360 because hardly anyone has one yet. As always, sales will be less at first because the classic 'early adopters' will buy a new console but everyone else will hold off until the price drops a bit.

Less games will be sold because less games are being developed for the older consoles; all the games companies have a finite amount of resources at any time and if they're going to develop games for the new consoles they're going to have to take teams off the dev and art teams for the older consoles. Combine this with the extra amount of time new console development will require as devs get to grips with a largely untested system and that's even less games being released... so of course less are going to be sold because less games overall = less good games = less people buying games.

As usual with a new console launch the initial offerings are somewhat lacklustre and while anyone taking a long term view will be able to see that this will improve with time it does damage consumer confidence in games in general in the short term with something of an 'oh, is this all they can come up with' attitude. Don't expect the majority of consumers to understand the internal machinations of the games industry because the majority probably aren't that interested in it and so if they see a raft of mediocre games being released for a new system it colours their view of the general output of the industry as a whole.

This is all, of course, a bit cack for the games industry in the short term but it won't last forever.

regards, Paul

SketchPad
12-26-2005, 10:03 PM
Hype Hype and even more Hype.

I have a hard time believing in these marketing campaigns
While being quite impressed by the hardware - this baby packs quite a punch,
I´m not too impressed by their marketing methods.

While doing my usual "walk-in-the-city" to check the different game-shops
for the latest tech-news.."ALL" of the salesclerks I talked to said that if I wanted
an Xbox 360 - I´d have to sign up months ahead. I bet them otherwise...

...and guess what - no surprise over here...at least not in Odense/Denmark, they
didn´t even sell out - many days later - still not sold out.

Bonedaddy
12-26-2005, 10:51 PM
I dunno. From what I read and hear as regards working conditions, I see the future X360 and PS3 are heralding as one of even more sleepless nights, higher tension, fewer developers, and less leeway. So in that sense, industry doom, maybe? There's a lot of things that could be better about the industry, but they seem to be glossing over it by screaming "HD" as loudly as they can. I doubt it'd kill anything off, but I don't think it's exactly the right step to be taking.

An outsider's opinion. :)

Anoma1y
12-26-2005, 11:43 PM
Most of the people that read CGTalk, a trade forum, will disagree with me, but I don't think that the new landscape of console market dominance can support itself from a creative standpoint. By commercially marginalizing PC gaming into a troublesome afterthought, the console industry has plugged the flow of gameplay innovation and genre evolution that fueled the first couple generations of console development. Let's face it: Most, if not all, successful (or unsuccessful, for that matter) console games are directly and heavily derivative of a PC game(s) that first managed to innovate and think up something new. Innovation just isn't practical or safe in a production environment that operates under strict guidelines and absurd royalties that make it impossible for small developers to get involved.

Even if the market structure of console development was decentralized and cheap enough for creativity to become a viable business model, I don't think that consoles allow for enough complexity or depth to really test out new ideas. Think about the first person shooter genre, or the implementation of vehicles and gametypes in Halo. Halo is a really good game because it presents the mechanics of team gameplay, first person shooter level design, multiplayer gametypes, and vehicle gameplay in a really compelling, streamlined, and intuitive manner; it is the result of years and years of awkward trial and error, occasional success and frequent failure, and a constant but laborious evolutionary process that eventually led to the modern model of the first person shooter, a game that owes its roots to Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Quake 3, Tribes, not to mention the hundreds of really, really bad games that, despite their failures, were a necessary exercise in the development of the genre. Even now, multiplayer first person shooters are an incredibly delicate act of weapon balance, gametype design, and mapping theory; just go over and read the official Unreal Tournament forums. There are no right answers.

Would a game like Halo ever have evolved independently on consoles, without the benefit of a decade of experimentation on the PC that was possible (1) because of the more forgiving and accessible market structure and (2) the heightened depth and complexity that the PC allows for? I don't think so. This process isn't possible in console gaming.

Frank Lake
12-27-2005, 12:19 AM
Anoma1y,

I don't want to turn this into a VS debate, but to so off-handlingly write-off the TWENTY years of console game development is mind numbingly 'NOT' smart and fairly inexusable given the thousands of titles that have gonna through the development cycles. Sure console development has been slow because they never had the processor power to execute detailed AI & physics. Now that is not a problem and hasn't been one for several years now.

As for the issue of creativity that is a moot point because developers(artists,writers,programmers,editors) have been crossing lines since the very beginning of the console era and they both heavily influence each other and frankly you own both sides an apology for it.

So I pose a question for you. Could've computer game developers improved their controls schemes without the consoles influence?

---------------------------------

Regarding the article. "Whine, whine, whine."

SheepFactory
12-27-2005, 05:11 AM
I dunno about 360 but when PS3 comes out with games looking like this:

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/672/672359/project-im-20051129105401690.jpg

I will buy one :)

sirap
12-27-2005, 05:15 AM
FEAR looks as good as that

JeroenDStout
12-27-2005, 05:17 AM
Wow :) Imagine games going the direction of the dot-com... that'd be horrible for my future :D

SheepFactory
12-27-2005, 05:19 AM
FEAR looks as good as that

You must have turned on a secret setting because i played fear with full detail and it didnt look anywhere near as good at any point.

sirap
12-27-2005, 05:22 AM
really? did for me, looks almost identical except for the higher poly count and texture resolution in that image.

Ryan-B
12-27-2005, 05:31 AM
Less games will be sold because less games are being developed for the older consoles; all the games companies have a finite amount of resources at any time and if they're going to develop games for the new consoles they're going to have to take teams off the dev and art teams for the older consoles.

This isn't necessarily true. A good production pipeline allows for all of the art assets, for all platforms, to be created simultaneously. You make your textures and models for the high end, and lower the resolution for the other platforms.

Most of the extra resources required are in testing, because you have to test on all of the platforms.

Frank Lake
12-27-2005, 08:21 AM
Sorry Sheep Factory. But if it did look like that I sure wouldn't buy it! Not when I can very very easly see such faciting(spl) on round objects and a FPS weapon that looks more like clip art then ingame 3D. :rolleyes:

And really somebody should take these people on a research fieldtrip every once in awhile for inspirational reasons.

JeroenDStout
12-27-2005, 01:57 PM
Why - what's wrong with crates?

mummey
12-27-2005, 01:59 PM

eh, that looks like the work of a good modelor and texturer. Hell, the first X-box can achieve that.

tozz
12-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Indeed, that screen makes me reluctant to buy rather than interested. Another one of those "look, everything is made of glowing plastics" and then I mean everything.

pixelmonk
12-27-2005, 07:23 PM

seen PC games with that quality now. No biggie.

SheepFactory
12-27-2005, 07:30 PM
damn its hard to impress you guys :)

JeroenDStout
12-27-2005, 08:15 PM
That's because we've become used to being impressed - we're used to graphics advancing so fast we're disappointed if things haven't at least tripled in a year.

superlayer
12-27-2005, 09:01 PM
Its from a new danish developer or maybe not new I just never heard about them.
The game doesnt look very original but the angular fire extinguisher (spelling?) does good for credibility but maybe even over the top.
I already bought the xbox 360 and sadly completed the excellent call of duty 2 in 2 or 3 days. Awesome game that even had true moments of epic greatness and indeed a beautiful game.

I also played pgr3 and got kinda tired of that experience after an hour or two. Again amazingly detailed cars. truly the first taste of nextgen smoothness for my part.
I also tried Kameo but was utterly disappointed by the gameplay. For me it was more a hinderence to have 4 difference chars to play for different "who gives a frag" situations. So the result was that Ii never left the castle and put it up for sale.

My xbox360 also made so much noise that I returned it. Yes even more than its supposed to so it sounded like a pimped up japanes sportscar instead of a console.

Anyways now I am waiting for the ps3 and hopefully that will be a true nextgen experience with better games.

Hazdaz
12-28-2005, 02:25 AM
I personally love all the 'doom and gloom' talk concerning how next-gen titles are going to be 10 billion times more expensive to make and all this other BS that the company heads are going to use as excused.

What is most funny about these statements is that PC games have had such high-res graphics for many years now... so why the difference?? Why is it that in the PC game development world dealing with such high-rez graphics is basically expected, yet in the console world it might bankrupt the industry? Again - I point to company execs just using this as an excuse IF they happen to have a bad quarter (so then they can go back and tell analysts that "see! I told you I was right!" :rolleyes: )

Also super dooper high-rez graphics aren't needed. They can be NICE, but they aren't needed for a good game. Look at one of my all time favorite games Knights of the Old Republic (1 and 2) for the XBox. The graphics pretty much sucked ass, but the story was so damn good that I could have cared less.

Or take it one step even farther - one of the more popular titles for the PSP - Lumines. Highly addictive game, and yet the basic gameplay could have been done on a C=64. Obviously people expect more from a home console than a portable one, but still.

Doom and gloom will only come about if these developers still churn out the same played-out crap and not innovate.
EA, I am looking in your direction.

If I see one more WW2 FPS I just might lose it.

Saurus
12-28-2005, 06:22 AM
Doom and gloom will only come about if these developers still churn out the same played-out crap and not innovate.
EA, I am looking in your direction.

I thought EA’s Battlefield was innovative. I don’t think there were any FPS that lets you drive a tank, fly a plane and sail a ship. I also thought Battlefield 2’s command feature was very innovative.

Dirtystimpy
12-28-2005, 06:50 AM
I thought EA’s Battlefield was innovative. I don’t think there were any FPS that lets you drive a tank, fly a plane and sail a ship. I also thought Battlefield 2’s command feature was very innovative.

correct me if I'm wrong...but DICE made battlefield, and EA bought them a year ago or so...

tozz
12-28-2005, 11:30 AM
correct me if I'm wrong...but DICE made battlefield, and EA bought them a year ago or so...
You're right, fine Swedish export ;)

Hazdaz
12-28-2005, 12:58 PM
And that is going to be the last time that DICE innovates anything.
Profits come before innovation and fun now that they are part of the Borg.

Also this (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050809-5189.html) link in that article has a very very telling tidbit:
"In 2005, Electronic Arts is scheduled to release 26 games, but get this: 25 of them are either sequels, or games based off of movies."
I find that to be an amazingly pathetic figure. IF there is going to be a down turn, it is going to be because of crap like this, not anything else.
(well games going to $60 versus $50 won't help either, but I don't see that as that big of a deal really since not all games are at $60, and their prices seem to drop quite quickly)

sirap
12-28-2005, 01:02 PM
Personally, I don't really care if we get anymore innovation. IMO the current type of games are fine with me. I prefer developers to focus on improving the game, rather than try to change it too much.

JeroenDStout
12-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Innovation isn't just about changing things - something like HL²'s gravity gun was innovation as well. And besides, apart from innovation such a sequel-bussiness leads to a chronic lack of quality games as they're made to earn money, not to be the game the maker always wanted to make. You won't see anything new or weird or something you never knew you were missing (like the gravity gun, honestly).

Soooo, just all fire up Steam and buy Darwinia :) it's a marvelous game.

Saurus
12-28-2005, 06:08 PM

True, Dice was bought out by EA, but buying smaller companies is also done by other bigger companies (Vivendi, Ubisoft, THQ…) …not just gaming (Apple, MS, Autodesk..).

Hazdaz
12-28-2005, 06:20 PM
True, Dice was bought out by EA, but buying smaller companies is also done by other bigger companies (Vivendi, Ubisoft, THQ…) …not just gaming (Apple, MS, Autodesk..).

Ummm... have you been following any of the EA buying freanzy the last few years??
A larger company buying up a smaller one isn't unheard of in the slightest bit... but what EA has been doing with both buying up smaller companies and buying up exclusive rights is quite unheard of in the gaming industry. They are trying to dominate the market - not with a better product - but by simply buying up the competition.

That NEVER EVER turns out good for the consumer.

You want some background in that, do a Google search on ClearChannel and how they rotally F'ed up the US radio market.

Array
12-28-2005, 06:21 PM
I was pretty reluctant about the 360 at first...but then I found out that Mist Walker Studios is putting out exclusive titles for said console. That and my buddy bought a copy of Project Gotham Racing 3 which thoroughly impressed me. I'll probably be getting the 360 when Blue Dragon ships....I also plan on getting a PS3 though.

L.Rawlins
12-28-2005, 06:35 PM

The age old Delta Force series last incarnation had already ventured into much of this BF2 stuff. It just wasn't as shiny... or branded 'Electronic Arts'.

CupOWonton
12-28-2005, 06:44 PM
Better graphics dont MAKE games 'better' for play or even 'better looking' by default, its what the artists and developers use the graphic options for.

The best game I've played reciently was PSYCHONAUTS for PC. I suggest anyone with an X-box, PC, or PS2 go out and get that game if you want to see what real creative minds come up with even with VERY *possibly intentionaly* limited poly counts.

sirap
12-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Or the stuff Kojima's capable of producing on the ps2 ;)

Neil
12-28-2005, 07:11 PM
Ugh, always complaining about sequels.
Everything in the world is built on taking something and making it better.

Like 90% of the blockbusters in Hollywood are already based off of books or previous films also. Authors write book after book on the same topic and just add new facts (the same thing as taking an old game and adding new characters and graphics).
People like familiarity. If every game that came out was 100% different, you'd pick up the controller and not know what the hell to do. That's why there are tournaments for sports games and FPShooters, because the basic idea carries over and you get better.

Yes EA does really drive sequels HARD, but what would you prefer. They take Madden and rename it to "Intense Football" for 04 and then rename it to "Football XTREME" for 05. You'd be playing the same game anyway. Atleast keeping the name the same makes in easier on the consumer and the parents who buy it for their kids.

Hazdaz
12-28-2005, 09:15 PM
Ugh, always complaining about sequels.
Everything in the world is built on taking something and making it better.

Like 90% of the blockbusters in Hollywood are already based off of books or previous films also. Authors write book after book on the same topic and just add new facts (the same thing as taking an old game and adding new characters and graphics).
People like familiarity. If every game that came out was 100% different, you'd pick up the controller and not know what the hell to do. That's why there are tournaments for sports games and FPShooters, because the basic idea carries over and you get better.

Yes EA does really drive sequels HARD, but what would you prefer. They take Madden and rename it to "Intense Football" for 04 and then rename it to "Football XTREME" for 05. You'd be playing the same game anyway. Atleast keeping the name the same makes in easier on the consumer and the parents who buy it for their kids.

Did you even read the article in the link?

The author makes a good point on how there are "good" sequels and lame/cop-out sequels. Having a sequel that furthers the story along, or adds new gameplay or better graphics or some new twist and turn is one thing.

Having a football game and doing nothing but updating to the current roster and maybe prettying up the graphics a little - while actually taking OUT features - is lame and totaly milking a francise to death. And it would normally mean reduced sales and eventually the death of a franchise... except that EA found a great 'loophole' in the form of exclusive rights to the NFL. The millions of dollars that would have been used in the past to actually improve the game, are now used to hold the exclusive rights to use the letters NFL on the box. Fantastic :rolleyes:

Most every story (be it movie or game or book) is based on something else in the past, but too much of the same thing can turn a whole industry stagnant and even turn fans away to pursue other interests. Not a good thing.

I love pizza, but even I can only see so much of it day in, day out until you get sick of the thing you love.

tozz
12-28-2005, 11:37 PM
I believe creating games was considerd art not long ago, alot of artists coming together combining each of their work into something, for them, important.
With the developement today, it seems that making games is more of a repetetive and non-inspiring work with the sole purpose of creating a cheap product that'll sell "so-so".
There's exeptions, as with every milked buisness, the few souls still doing it for the fun or something deeper, but their work has a tendency to drown in the massproduced crap we're forced to swim in today.

End of ramblings.

JeroenDStout
12-28-2005, 11:45 PM
People like familiarity. If every game that came out was 100% different, you'd pick up the controller and not know what the hell to do.
Love it when that happens :) ever played Darwinia? That pretty has a lot '... what the hell?..' right from the moment you start the game.

Saurus
12-29-2005, 12:49 AM
Ummm... have you been following any of the EA buying freanzy the last few years??
A larger company buying up a smaller one isn't unheard of in the slightest bit... but what EA has been doing with both buying up smaller companies and buying up exclusive rights is quite unheard of in the gaming industry. They are trying to dominate the market - not with a better product - but by simply buying up the competition.

Yup…I know what EA been doing. I have a lot of friends working for EA. I used to work for them and a game I was working on from another game company was canned because they bought the rights to the title. Give any company a chance and they will want to dominate the industry…it’s not just an EA thing.

Bigger companies buying smaller companies in gaming is a lot more common than you think. Where I live…company I work for just got bought out by a bigger company…not EA. A friend of mind got hired by a company who just got bought out by a bigger company…not EA. There are probably 3 more companies in town where I live that got bought out by bigger company…not EA. Sorry for not providing company name, but if do some research you’ll see who swallowed who.

As far as EA’s titles are concern, if a title is a flop, it’s out the door. They spend millions of dollars on creating a single game and will not gamble millions on title that sold badly. As long as people (maybe not you) are buying why kill a franchise! In the last 3 years (maybe not you) I say 70 percent of the titles I played are EA titles…I have no issues with their titles.

I love pizza, but even I can only see so much of it day in, day out until you get sick of the thing you love.
Yup, eating pizza for a whole week sucks, that’s why there’s other choice like Sushi, Burgers, Chinese food, Thai food…but after a month of no pizza you would want one. Imagine if all pizzas are forever removed from all menus just because someone got sick of it because they ate pizza for a whole week straight.

deadplant155
12-29-2005, 04:47 PM

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/672/672359/project-im-20051129105401690.jpg

why does every discussion about one system have to turn into a console comparison?

sorry to be pulling this from two pages back...i'm just surprised this is being held up as an example of the ps3's power. This is a really unattractive screenshot...Is this really the best they have to offer?....cuz most current fps look the same if not better......(same in pure technical quality, much better in art direction and design, in my opinion at least).

and is anybody out there really planning on buying a system just because they gave it a new processor and graphics card? so....if they keep re-releasing the same game over and over again, but each time they increase the poly-count and texture resolution, you'd keep buying it?....i'm sorry but i don't understand that....

sirap
12-29-2005, 04:50 PM
Yep, I would.

tozz
12-29-2005, 08:00 PM
why does every discussion about one system have to turn into a console comparison?

sorry to be pulling this from two pages back...i'm just surprised this is being held up as an example of the ps3's power. This is a really unattractive screenshot...Is this really the best they have to offer?....cuz most current fps look the same if not better......(same in pure technical quality, much better in art direction and design, in my opinion at least).

and is anybody out there really planning on buying a system just because they gave it a new processor and graphics card? so....if they keep re-releasing the same game over and over again, but each time they increase the poly-count and texture resolution, you'd keep buying it?....i'm sorry but i don't understand that....
That's why we have a gaming industry like we have today, people buy the same products in new boxes. As for the quality of that screenshot, I think it has been said enough in this thread, it sucks :)

SheepFactory
12-29-2005, 08:22 PM
w

wow you looked at a screenshot and somehow figured out that the games storyline sucks , the art direction is crap and it wont be worth getting. Sorry to hear you folks dont like it , I am personally impressed with the quality of things i am seeing for both PS3 and Xbox 360. I cant wait to pick a 360 when ghost recon 3 comes out , yea its the same game with better gfx , which is what most of us want.

I really dont understand why everyone is so negative when it comes to next gen systems.
:shrug:

Hazdaz
12-29-2005, 08:58 PM
I didn't comment before on the screenshot, but what the hell is wong with it?

It is ONE screen shot. Looks fine to me. It might be cliche with it being in a warehouse with the typical gaming crates, but what's wrong with it overall?

sqeels
12-29-2005, 09:25 PM
ok, how about we quit whining about the crappy games and sequals and nonoriginal things coming out of the gaming market, combine the talents of people from this community and make our own game. start a production studio, and make a game that will sell. if we are all so confident we can do it, i would, but then again i have nothing to lose. something originalo and revolutionary. look at the art that comes out of the gallery here. we know that prettymuch everyone on this site is here because they have some talent/ vision. use the blender foundation as inspiration. look at what they have created just buy leaving something open to the publi. ok that last statement didint really make sense. but ok. </end suggestion

Terrell
01-01-2006, 07:38 PM
While the console debuted mostly to yawns in Japan (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051213-5755.html)

Of course it did. It's an American made console. Did anyone expect the Japs to embrace an American gaming console? Microsoft should stop trying to win Japanese market share. Even if it was 5 times more powerful than the PS3, it wouldn't make a difference. They should forget about Japan and concentrate on Europe and America, both far bigger gaming markets than Japan ever thought about being.

JeroenDStout
01-01-2006, 07:43 PM
ok, how about we quit whining about the crappy games and sequals and nonoriginal things coming out of the gaming market, combine the talents of people from this community and make our own game. start a production studio, and make a game that will sell. if we are all so confident we can do it, i would, but then again i have nothing to lose. something originalo and revolutionary. look at the art that comes out of the gallery here. we know that prettymuch everyone on this site is here because they have some talent/ vision. use the blender foundation as inspiration. look at what they have created just buy leaving something open to the publi. ok that last statement didint really make sense. but ok. </end suggestion
"Let's do something together" is without doubt the most doomed suggestion on the internet. Besides, if you think it can be done better then it doesn't mean you can do it better. Just like I think my previous printer was awful I couldn't make a better one.

thatoneguy
01-01-2006, 08:13 PM
I was unaware of the blender foundation achieving anything unique and innovative.

richcz3
01-01-2006, 10:18 PM
I'm a 15+ year PC game player. Before that I owned the early NES and Sega consoles. This past week I purchased a PS2 because the price was right. Now I am considering a PS3 only if Sony can bring a quality product to market.

Like the article states, "Every time there's a transition, the industry hits a reset button. There's no question there's an opportunity for some to dramatically enhance or lose their position." 2006 will probably see declining sales for console and games sales overall at the start. There will always be "Doom and Gloom" articles on Gaming. I was reading similar articles about PC games in 1994. An increase in Cost and Development time will always be a publishers burden.

CGTalk Moderation
01-01-2006, 10:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.