PDA

View Full Version : Presenter Girl, Stahlberg (3D), (3D)

Pages : [1] 2

Stahlberg
11-26-2002, 12:54 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/566/presenter_girl_large_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/566/presenter_girl_large.jpg)

Title: Presenter Girl, Stahlberg (3D)
Name:
Software: Maya

I modelled her outfit in a bit more than a week (most of it SubD), rigging time was basically zero because I could use my existing rig. (I just detach her old body and attach whichever new one, done.)
The lighting is once again Emmanuel Campin's Spherelight.
Let me know what you think.
edit: oops I forgot - this is Maya as usual.
http://www.androidblues.com/aida1.jpg
And a silly pose, just to show she's rigged:
http://www.androidblues.com/aida2.jpg
Some details:
http://www.androidblues.com/belt.jpg
http://www.androidblues.com/boot.jpg
A wireframe:
http://www.androidblues.com/aidascreen.jpg

RISKBREAKER
11-26-2002, 01:11 PM
Damn, you make sweet models!!:applause: :drool:
This one is no exception.
As always, awesome work.:beer:
I wish I had your skills, man.

Clanger
11-26-2002, 01:15 PM
Wow, can't see a single flaw.
I wonder if this makes the front page?

typeA
11-26-2002, 01:17 PM
well...the models one of the best female models anywhere..but you should realy start finding a better hair solution than just useing geom...i think that would bring this babe from realy good to..umm i dont know....realy realy good...i wonder if this post will turn into anouther i wonder why you only modle females .ect ect kinda thing agian..then every one who likes it will be referd to as a fanboy..but what do i know im a fanboy i guess:shrug: for some crit...the wrist seams a hair to skinny and the shape on the back of the elbow..isnt siting right with me..cant realy put into words whats rong thoe..:thumbsup: :beer: :thumbsup:

Heber G Conde
11-26-2002, 01:17 PM
Nothing new man, just an amazing piece of art!
Im a great fan of your work.
The texture job (specialy on the belt) is something of surreal!
Congratulation
Heber

DJace
11-26-2002, 01:26 PM
damn, this model is absolutely fab...
its got the Final Fantasy quality to it...
this is truely great stuff....
:applause:

(B-HOLM)
11-26-2002, 01:27 PM
uhm....nice work...I really lu-UV it :)

Supernova
11-26-2002, 01:53 PM
Very impressing.
What software\render?

spr0g
11-26-2002, 02:00 PM
W..O..W.., thats cool :P specially the detail and texturing! :thumbsup:

proton
11-26-2002, 02:29 PM
You never cease to amaze me......Great work....can't wait to see this one animated....:bounce:

wgreenlee1
11-26-2002, 02:33 PM
You are so talented!!!
This is so good!

How do you do the hair?Texture maps?

CGmonkey
11-26-2002, 02:37 PM
*sigh* :drool:
Everytime I see a picture from you, I feel a little tickling in the stomache :P
Great! :thumbsup:

Grayscale
11-26-2002, 02:38 PM
Great JOB! I can't wait to see her doing some animation. I love all the little details. Again, wonderful job.
:buttrock:

xtrm3d
11-26-2002, 02:43 PM
me too tjinking amazing job..
5 star !!!!!!

:beer:
animation ??

CarlCampbell
11-26-2002, 02:47 PM
Kinda like an Anna Nova sorta thing? Presenting and all that I mean ;) Anyhoo, I absolutely LOVE the belt! Its great! I recognized your style almost immediately, relating to your indian girl. Just as then, fabulous work!

Carl :beer:

Jeffo
11-26-2002, 02:50 PM
Simply amazing, i love the style of her clothes, the tour guide like hat is awesome! :)

and the detail on the belt is beautiful

:thumbsup:

kurt30
11-26-2002, 02:50 PM
absolutely amazing....my jaw has dropped to the floor (doe she have a single sister??) Defn. 5 stars!!!

HapZungLam
11-26-2002, 02:56 PM
I am sure that i should not have the rights to critique master Steven here, but something that i really want to suggest.

I guess add a little bit of highlight there would be great. And seems something is missing to make it believe it is a leather. Hum, i don't know how to discribe the texture. But it should look like some tiny hair, or fur sticks out on the edge.

The positive side of the leather is very shiny, but the negative side is very rough. There, that's what i mean. it should have it on the edge too.

But it isn't a really big problem since there has no one able to see that tiny edgez

HapZungLam
11-26-2002, 03:05 PM
Forsome reason, it doesn't alow me to post attach files on the previous reply

torbjorn
11-26-2002, 03:12 PM
Holy freak!!!! Good job

CarlCampbell
11-26-2002, 03:17 PM
Actually, HZL, I agree with you entirely, the belt body DOES look very CG, but I'd think its the only thing. You're right, that perfect edge looks a bit fake :thumbsup: good work spotting it!

Carl :beer:

EDIT: Congrats on the award!!! :bowdown:

lildragon
11-26-2002, 03:17 PM
Steven, Steven, you have to stop this man I mean jeez :surprised

The only thing I would crit is her butt it looks a wee bit sharp in that backview pic.. that and the lil flap of material over her butt isn't as believeable as the rest of the textures... nonetheless :thumbsup:

You have recieved your 2nd CGtalk choice award. Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Congrats again, very well done

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award.jpg

P.S. if you need a different background, please send me a PM with the RGB values.

salud

Flog
11-26-2002, 03:18 PM
The legend in our midst.

See you are still alive, kicking and making these beautiful models still. Great work.

To answer the question " Why do you always model women?"
Answer: Because he can, if you could make women that look like that would you?

Hey are you still in Austin, any projects we will see soon?

Keep up the good work!!!:applause:

KotsVlok
11-26-2002, 03:38 PM
Wooooow.... :eek:
/me so jealous now :drool: ...I cant wait to see a animation with here :buttrock:
Great detail on the belt also!...just awesome!

sad
11-26-2002, 03:51 PM
at the first glance one can see this is a stahlberg! great! :thumbsup:

DimitrisLiatsos
11-26-2002, 04:12 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
Is all i can say in one of the Pionneers of 3D

It is definitely saying Stahlberg all over.

I wish i could be like u some day!!!!!!

Grayson
11-26-2002, 04:12 PM
How do you go about transferring the binding from the skin to the clothes?

You said us used the save one as the skin; how did you manage that, exporting weight maps?

stillvapour
11-26-2002, 04:21 PM
only one question for you:
do you every sleep?!
awesome work!:eek: :eek:

ironbearxl
11-26-2002, 04:21 PM
Sorry, I'm crying now.. :eek:

suffix
11-26-2002, 04:23 PM
hot damn!!! :applause: :applause: :drool: :drool: :drool:

that looks FANTASTIC!!!!! really really nice style. The realistic humanistic stuff i see is just so generic since people are just trying to get the hang of modeling human figures... but it's nice to see one that is not so generic and has flare and style!!! amazing work indeed! Thanks for telling how you lighted teh scene also, i've been trying to find a decent way to do GI in maya...

by the way, i am in no way ripping on other human type models on the site, i'm just happy to see a human model that's not a study and has character...

Julez4001
11-26-2002, 04:26 PM
You da man.

Gentle Fury
11-26-2002, 04:29 PM
i knew it was Stahlberg as soon as i saw the face on the front page!! Great work once again.....never cease to amaze :)

To the person that asked what it was done in.......its Maya......not only did the hardware views give it away.....if you've kept up with mr stahlberg you know, thats what he is mainly using now...... great work again!!!

malc0lm
11-26-2002, 04:34 PM
Too quote Janice from FRIENDS:
"Oooooooh myyyyyy gooooood"

Lunatique
11-26-2002, 04:39 PM
The only crits I have are:

1)The ridge of the lower back would look better/sexier if you continued it even lower.

2)Her butt, like someone already mentioned, seems a bit sharp/flat.

BTW, did Jason ever do that rig for you?

createfly
11-26-2002, 04:46 PM
wow!!very beautify!:thumbsup:
awesome work:thumbsup:

Faraguay
11-26-2002, 04:54 PM
Only crit I have: You are damn so good!!!!!! Awsome work, Mr Stahlberg, one more time.

I know my skills and style are far from being yours ones but I'd be glad about knowing your opinion of my model here (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=276996#post276996)

Keep up the "god" work! ;)
:bowdown:

wgreenlee1
11-26-2002, 04:56 PM
Wow Lunatique thats the first I've been to your website.
Very well done and lots to enjoy!

killer1.0
11-26-2002, 05:07 PM
woooooow:bounce: how sightly girl :beer:

Twisted-Imperial
11-26-2002, 05:12 PM
hey steve great fan, you have very nice work
i just have a few quick riggin questions for you
1.do you use rigid or smooth when skinning?
2.well i guess this question depends on the awnser from teh first but im curious how you get such nice deformations in elbows/knees ive seen it in all your models very nice.

thx millionz keep up the great work :thumbsup:

-peace

eliseu gouveia
11-26-2002, 05:13 PM
Really really good, I wish I could do that :) .

Gotham
11-26-2002, 05:19 PM
Another work another congratulation...

Very good work... :thumbsup:

Jungle_Tintin
11-26-2002, 05:24 PM
Wow amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is so real........:applause: congratulation!

HapZungLam
11-26-2002, 05:37 PM
You made her in pieces. or it is just an illusion? Because when i look at the arms, legs in wireframe. it looks like it has 2 or 3 objects bine together. How come?

PotatoHead
11-26-2002, 06:43 PM
beautiful once again, but unfortunately, she looks like all of your other women. not that theres anything really wrong with that (i suppose it could be regarded as a trademark of yours), but im looking for new stuff from you....:surprised

nevertheless, SHE IS SO ****ING HOT!!!:rolleyes: :drool: :rolleyes: hubba, hubba!!

Titan
11-26-2002, 07:32 PM
beautiful as always....pretty intimidating skills you got.....very inspirational as well!!!!!
great job!!!

:p

Skippy
11-26-2002, 07:36 PM
Stahlberg.. Do you do anything but chicks? It also seems like the same face model over and over.

C'mon! something NEW!

:rolleyes:

Abe
11-26-2002, 08:04 PM
First the praise to the MASTER like her a lot Steven but would like to see hair much improved please in future projects.And Skippy if you and anyone else who doubts S.Starbergs ability would head over to WWW.0ptidigit.com and your eyes are in for a feast of suprises with some out of this world 2D and 3D and great animations .From your number one fan please animate this female :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

bored alien
11-26-2002, 08:13 PM
That rigged pose is HILARIOUS. That's all I have to say. :thumbsup:

sumpm1
11-26-2002, 08:37 PM
I agree. There is no way that I can crit something so beautiful. Watch out cause I'm gonna come and steal you're brain while you are sleeping. I like the textures too.

Sylfurd
11-26-2002, 08:43 PM
it's not a human's work!! It's a God one!!! :bowdown:

The Magic Pen
11-26-2002, 08:52 PM
Awesome work man...good model....good texturing !! :buttrock:

Jenner
11-26-2002, 08:53 PM
:drool: :drool: :drool: Just fell in love with a cg picture....

tomb
11-26-2002, 09:27 PM
:love:

The thing I find inspiring about your work is you do most of the development of your characters (if not all of it) yourself. Places like Square have small teams of people to take care of modeling, texturing, rigging, character design etc... You're like a machine pumping out these great characters at this rate even after all these years. Never give up!

Is-boset
11-26-2002, 10:04 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :D

pixopath
11-26-2002, 10:23 PM
can that abdominal region with the shin bone and muscles general are too straight ahead (like rock) may be if you try to put a little under cutaneous fat layer that will add some subtilities but perhaps i'm wrong, very good work !(sorry for my english):applause:

bored alien
11-26-2002, 10:25 PM
Speaking of rigging, did Jason ever get that other model of yours rigged? :bounce:

erikals
11-26-2002, 10:33 PM

Great stuff. One question, did you use Maya to render? I don't know, to me it just doesn't look like a Maya render. How did you make the shadow-side of the skin turn red? Was it a special setting?

Do you have spare-time? I mean, do you do you do stuff besides modeling?

(I guess that's three questions)

Really great, keep it up Stahlberg.

Erik

D. Phoenix
11-26-2002, 10:35 PM
Outstanding work.

The attention to detail is what sets it apart.

-D. Phoenix

raine
11-26-2002, 10:39 PM
WoW........ WoW Man! thats all i can say. You have another great model as always, keep inspiring us :buttrock:

raine
11-26-2002, 10:50 PM
WoW........ WoW Man! thats all i can say. You have another great model as always, keep inspiring us :buttrock:

AJE
11-26-2002, 10:59 PM
So she's a futuristic stewardess?
Is she into being part of the 'Mile High Club'?

ilasolomon
11-26-2002, 11:19 PM
sure I can say this piece is the best of yours. congrats steven. ;)

Joril
11-26-2002, 11:27 PM
Stunning.

JasonA
11-26-2002, 11:42 PM
She looks hot! Excellent model, and the texture detail onthe clothes is outstanding :applause:

Love see your stuff, can't wait for the next round

Michael Chen
11-27-2002, 12:27 AM
Awesome character she looks pretty good.

Not critics just too good :buttrock:

migusan76
11-27-2002, 12:32 AM
AmAzinggggggggggg:wip: always a pleasure to look at your work. KeEp Up ThE FantasticK WoRk!!!!!!!:D

fireman
11-27-2002, 01:34 AM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: r e s p e c t man... :buttrock:

Pinky_Powers
11-27-2002, 03:28 AM
Sorry if this was already mentioned, but there are 5 pages of replies and I don't have the time to look through them all before I post my reply, so here goes.

On the "Funny Pose" image, her left shoulder looks very wrong to me, seeing how high her arm is raised, it strikes me odd that her whole shoulder is not rising along with the arm. This is something I learned very early in my own art, which is the shoulder, all the way up to the neck should move right along with the arm.

Apart from that, I truly love you work man. Much better than I will be any time soon :) And this new character is beautiful, and unique. Great job sir.

Stahlberg
11-27-2002, 03:29 AM
Big thanks to everyone. I agree with all the crits that were raised, and I'll try to adress em one way or another in the next version.

HZL - the belt, I agree! Body in how many pieces - see image below. 2 pieces split at the belt line, feet deleted and boots substituted. I only split the body because I was having trouble with the resolution of the mapping on the upper body.

CarlCampbell - not quite like Ananova, she will be pre-rendered and appear in a Virtual Reality Center driven by a supercomputer, it's a semi-circular huge screen which can display in 3d (audience wears glasses).

Flog - no I moved, I'm in Malaysia now. I may be starting a big project soon but it's all up in the air still.

erikals - yes the skin on the stomach has no textures, that reddish shading you mentioned was partly achieved by using a toon shader in the ambient channel. Also you have to keep the specular blueish to counteract a tendency to go bright yellow, and a Fresnel-influenced shader to make the specular brighter at glancing light-angles is also useful.
About my spare time, well there isn't that much of it... :)

Lunatique - I agree about the flap, but it's too hard to make it lower because she has to sit sometimes. :) No I haven't heard from Jason in a while, I keep checking back here regularly to see if he's posted something.

The hair - yes it's very simply done. Sorry, but I can't afford Shave & a Haircut.

Skippy - hm, you don't like chicks? How about a rooster? :)

http://www.androidblues.com/rooster.jpg

Grayson and Twisted Imperia - about the binding, here are a couple pics to illustrate.

http://www.androidblues.com/aidascreen2.jpg
http://www.androidblues.com/aidascreen3.jpg

The 0 level Subd surface is the same as in my original nude girl, with its full rigging that took months to do. I Smooth-skin a low-poly mesh which later is used as a wrap deformer on the hi-res surface, but I don't paint any weights. I've been unable to find the perfect way to reuse weight-maps, so instead of having to redo them every time I use morftargets only, for all deformation control.

The polygonal wrap deformer is exactly the same as the 0 level Subd surface, and since it's so light I can add as many morftargets as I want to it. (I never add morf targets to the Subd, only to the polygonal wrap deformer.)

I then make a copy of the original Subd, and edit all the higher levels on it in any way I want, doesn't matter as long as I never move any of the 0 verts. Note - you must keep the hierarchy for this to work.
So now when I wrap the new surface onto the old rig it works just like before.
edit: note, for my next version rig I'll definitely add one or two rows of polys around the knee and the butt, to make their deforming easier to control - I've had problems there.

Faraguay - I'll answer in your thread.

facial
11-27-2002, 03:44 AM
Hey,Stahlberg. It is see your works again, I love these works you did, Thay are really great, man. Keep post up.

Julez4001
11-27-2002, 04:27 AM
Amazing ...Just purely amazing.
A forever inspiration. I am stunned and silent.

Thanks ofr the modeling and binding info.

skello
11-27-2002, 05:02 AM
How fast is your computer.?
Does keeping the history on these models ever slow you down to a crawl?

wgreenlee1
11-27-2002, 05:14 AM
Skippy - hm, you don't like chicks? How about a rooster?

HEHEHEHE!!!!OMG!:scream:

typeA
11-27-2002, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by Stahlberg

not quite like Ananova, she will be pre-rendered and appear in a Virtual Reality Center driven by a supercomputer, it's a semi-circular huge screen which can display in 3d (audience wears glasses).

[/B]

wow sounds cool..is this in malaisia..or where ill be in asia for an extended stay this spring..that sounds worth checking out can i get some more info..im intreged:thumbsup:

fango
11-27-2002, 05:50 AM
/takes notepad out

a true lesson in style and technique mr stahlberg :bounce:

the_jonas
11-27-2002, 08:07 AM
hehe its not hard to recognize wath u do. the first i thought when i saw the headpic on the firstpage on this site was 'that gotta be stahlberg'

shaangfx
11-27-2002, 09:22 AM
this really great ans amazing cool wrk!

i have always been ur fan..ur wrk on ur homepage are simply amazing...!:rolleyes: :scream: :bounce:

i even like the costume u designed for her...specially the belt is some kind of cool gadet!

the only thing i didnt like is the hair...its kind of lookin too artificial...may be it need some touch up or highlights to the hair or red or blue like how real models do!

overall its simply the best female model i have seen on the net..
!

take care! keep up the amazing wrk coming:wavey: :applause:

Kabab
11-27-2002, 09:33 AM
Great work :beer:

i love her ass :p

miasmaswitch
11-27-2002, 09:43 AM
Does anyone else have the problem using Maya 4.0 that Subdivision modelling slows the computer down to an absolute grinding halt?

If I were to try and model this girl, I would have to stop before getting anywhere near this complex because the machine just wouldn't cope with it. It then gets even worse when trying to sort out UVs.

I'm convinced this is a workflow problem on my part and not a bug with Maya as everyone else seems to be able to come up with massively complicated models with no problems.

Any suggestions?

tazmanian
11-27-2002, 09:49 AM
wow......awesome ....steven !!!!!
very weired !!!!!!!

ma+
11-27-2002, 10:29 AM
congratulation......great work :applause: :applause:

Stahlberg
11-27-2002, 10:31 AM
I have definitely noticed a slow-down in UV mapping complex SubD's, plus random crashing... that would be the main drawback to my method I think, I have to finish UV mapping on the very early polygonal stage and then not touch it again... and sometimes I forget... and then I enter a world of hurt... :)

But there's not much slowdown when I model. Don't know why some people experience that. My machine is a dual Athlon with 3 Gigs of RAM, maybe that's why. Then again that really shouldn't make that big of a difference... I don't know.
Just make sure you delete all the BlindData nodes you can find, and hide stuff you don't need to see, etc...
BTW history and hierarchy are two separate things.

miasmaswitch
11-27-2002, 10:48 AM
Yeah the obvious solution is for me to get a faster machine, although the slowdown is uncharacteristically bad for the spec. (It handles complicated Nurbs models with no problem)

I will look at the messing around with the history because this has more than likely got something to do with my problem. I didn't realise that the heirarchy and history were separate entities however, so I'll check that out. Whenever I have deleted the history in the past, it has meant I cannot go back into proxy mode from normal mode.

I have also noticed that it keeps the conversions between normal and proxy in the history which might have something to do with it. Hmm oh well.

I think I'll just get Maya 4.5 and use Convert SubD to Nurbs so that i can project textures and use the nurbs UVs. That will make texturing easier.

Stahlberg
11-27-2002, 11:35 AM
Don't tweak the SubD in proxy mode, I agree that is dog slow. Just go in and out of proxy mode occasionally, this 'cleans' the SubD up for some reason (sometimes gaps will appear in the model, or just in the UV's, while modeling, this gets fixed when I go back and forth to poly mode).

Primus
11-27-2002, 12:34 PM
Beautiful work :D More? You should do a pin-up book :) I'd buy it...

miasmaswitch
11-27-2002, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the advice Stahlberg. I'll try what you suggested. I would say I usually start a model completely in proxy mode and after that spend half the time in proxy mode and half in normal mode. I see now how this can pile up generations of tranformations that will slow things down.

By the way, your work is excellent. Well done.

Mandrake
11-27-2002, 12:42 PM
Great work Stahlberg! Maybe only fashion designers could
have some complaints ;) but as far as 3d goes.. its great:applause:

miasmaswitch and guys:
Subds are extremly fast in Maya, its just that people trying
to use it in a conventional way (spliting polys, max, lw, cps..)
The crucial part is to get the base topology correct, either with
Cps or poly proxy (prefer cps:) ). By the time when you are going
to do hierarhical edits you must be pretty sure the topology is
right because latter will be (near) imposible do do rearanging
the geometry, edge flow etc.. Thats the only disadvantage of
subds, they need you to know step ahead, its not that flexible
but advantages are soo great that you can't regret it: speed,
rigging, animation... as long as you're going to stick with default
Maya renderer btw:rolleyes:
Stahlberg as I've seen through your posts you are going into
h. edits very early (earlier then I prefer to do) so how you're
dealing with blend shapes? I mean if you do it on level x verices
than its slow for animating, if you do it on (warped) poly proxy
than it seems to be not enough vertices for tricky expressions,
am I wrong here? How You are dealing with it?

sanciok
11-27-2002, 03:32 PM
That's a great piece!!!!
This is a wonderful job :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
When are u going to update your website with your new works???

U're the best!
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

focuzedmind
11-27-2002, 05:49 PM
This is a masterpiece!:eek:

tobiasth
11-27-2002, 06:19 PM
she looks very nice!
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Vovik3D
11-27-2002, 07:44 PM
The Best :buttrock:

sfx
11-27-2002, 08:44 PM
whereis my gun!
i m a newbb
ouinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
argllllllllllll
respect

Stahlberg
11-28-2002, 02:35 AM
Mandrake, no I try not to rush into the Subd stage.
First I start with some sort of polygon, usually a cube. Then comes the most intensive modeling, which can last for quite some time. During this I occasionally (and usually quite often) briefly go back and forth converting to Subd's to see what it looks like, maybe make some minor change there and then convert back to poly for further modeling. You see the SubD's are harder to model in than the poly because you can never see both the edges and the points at the same time, you could in v3 but not in v4 anymore (has pissed me off so much I don't even want to talk about it).

This back-and-forth is necessary because of what Mandrake mentioned, once you do the final conversion and start editing on level 1 and higher you don't really want to go back cause you'll be wasting some effort.

After having changed the topology for the last time, but before you convert to Subd's for the last time, you also should do the UV's.

Now occasionally I've had to change the topology on a fully developed model, and this can work - for splitting you simply make a copy, go into proxy mode and delete the part you want to split off on the original, and then delete everything else BUT that part on the copy - then you go back to standard mode. Combining can work that way too. But it usually means you have some more work to do on the UV's, which is never fun on Subd's.

sanciok - sorry about the website, eh... maybe soon? :)

sidewing
11-28-2002, 03:16 AM
yep, definately 5 stars! Would love to see here do the twist!

Keep on posting.

John

raine
11-28-2002, 03:26 AM
Ever thought of doing a modeling tutorial for us fans of yours? :) .... would be a nice thing hehe.

proton
11-28-2002, 03:27 AM
here is a second vote for a tut:thumbsup:

Gilgamesh
11-28-2002, 04:15 AM
Hmm, I would be more interested in a rigging tut. Nice work again, Steven, by the way.

shyy
11-28-2002, 06:37 AM
superb work esp on the defining of the butt

sidewing
11-28-2002, 06:43 AM
Rigging is my vote... Especially a good shoulder and foot-setup...

Would love to see more tutorials from you.

derErschaffer
11-28-2002, 06:51 AM
WOW..:applause:

Stahlberg
11-28-2002, 09:45 AM
Hehe, thanks for the vote of confidence, but my rigging is nothing compared to Jason Schleifer's (for instance). Here's a link to the best way to rig a foot I've found:
Detached foot method (Maya) (http://www.3dcentral.com/tut2.html)
Also try out the JointFactory free download at Highend3d.com, do a search in the Maya department.

As for poly modeling, well since I won't have time to create a full tut let me just go into a bit more detail here:
I use only a few of all the available tools in Maya: extrude face, merge vertices, Split Polygon Tool, and from the MJPolyTools: mostly only the wonderful loopsplit. The rest is Translate, Rotate and Scale. Oh yes, one more very useful tool is temporarily assigning a lattice deformer to a group of verts, a 2x2x2 lattice is perfect for skewing for instance.
Then all you have to do is follow the images of the 0 level I have posted, if you do a search here I think you'll find a 0 level head I've posted too. It's not much use to show a step by step tutorial for that, it would fill 20 pages and you should be able to do it just by looking at the image. The 0 level is the most important level, it's worth spending time on it because it should theoretically be possible to use it to create any human character. (Well of course you need another slightly different 0 level model to create all your male models, :) but again that one can quite easily be created from this one.)
From there you just need a lot of patience, and some good reference.

When it comes to the actual deformation-setup with the blendshapes and everything (I wouldn't call it rigging per se, rigging to me is more to do with the skeleton), I may try to do a little tut, just to see if someone else has a better way to do it, or any other kind of useful input.

Luiz Felippe VZ
11-28-2002, 06:10 PM
Wow!!

Hon r en av det snyggaste 3D flickan jag hade alreda sg!!

Fenrir
11-28-2002, 08:59 PM
Ja 3d fickan wer sagt's denn

sad
11-28-2002, 09:09 PM
fLickan nich fickan :beer: :D passt aber trotzdem.

emilioG
11-28-2002, 09:32 PM
Hey Steven! We haven't spoken in about 2 years. (we talked about each others models over email awhile back.)

Very cool.

Have you done all the morphs on her? I especially like the folds on her clothes, and in the second pic (kneeling down), good job on the leg bend behind the knee.

Again, very nice as usual;)

AC_Shrike
11-29-2002, 07:21 AM
Plain and simple: This is incredibly professional work.:buttrock:

lmc
11-29-2002, 09:42 AM
i like ur texture, welldone:applause:

torbjorn
11-29-2002, 10:28 AM
Hon r mycket fin ;-)

Sausage
11-29-2002, 03:53 PM
Hmmm, up to your usual standard.

Same kinda stuff again.

Show us something new, Steve. Break the mould.

Twisted-Imperial
11-29-2002, 04:15 PM
wow steve that was quite the awsner ! :thumbsup:
thax very very much, this information is awsome! very useful

ne ways i had one question that i didnt quite understand its about morph targets, ive been doing a bit of research trying to learn what they are and i get alot of morph targets relating to facial blends... is that all your doing to your level 1 mesh? making blends for where the back of the knees bend?

thx man you rock!
-Peace

Lunatique
11-29-2002, 04:19 PM
I keep hearing people telling Steven(or say it behind his back) that he should "do something new! Stop it with the chicks already!"

Well, I'm going to openly defend him here and now, and I hope people will stop saying that crap from now on.

1)Steven does work that has nothing to do with chicks for his production company. Just because he doesn't show them here, doesn't mean he doesn't do anything else.

2)He has a strong interest in creating a life-like virtual actress. He has been passionate in that subject since the early 90's, and he's one of the first pioneers in that area. The quality of his work has inspired and pushed the quality of realistic CG characters forward worldwide for a decade. Show some Goddamn respect for one of the pioneers of our industry.

3)Some people do nothing but realistic rendering of product design, architecture, fantasy creatures, spaceships..etc. I don't see you people telling them to go try something else. Everyone's got their interests/fetishes/passions/personal goals. Who are you to tell someone what they should be interested in? Are you going to tell Pixar to "stop making them damn cutesy 3D feature films and move on to something different"? Go take a look at art history. Plenty of artists that concentrated on a style or a theme, and stuck with it for their entire career. And you know what? Thank God for them, because I really don't want to see someone like J.W. Waterhouse paint anything else. In fact, I can't get enough of his beautiful paintings. 19th century wouldn't have been the same without his beautiful nymphs, mythological Goddesses, and Shakespearean heroines.

4)How many of you are world famous for being able to do ONE thing REALLY well? How many of you have inspired a generation of aspiring CG artists?

Ok, end rant.

I'm slightly pissed, but I'm not directing this at any particular person. Just wanted to stand up for Steven, that's all.

Lunatique over and out.

Twisted-Imperial
11-29-2002, 04:22 PM
nicely executed lunatique :thumbsup:

Sausage
11-29-2002, 04:26 PM
Okay... ass licking aside.

It would be cool to see something fresh and new, don't ya think?

This kinda stuff is getting stale, no matter how well it's modelled.

Twisted-Imperial
11-29-2002, 04:36 PM
no sorry i disagree. personally i dont care what he posts up here, hes an awsome artist and awnsers everyones questions very well. its amazing he even has time to awsner posts. keep up the good work steve :thumbsup: lol u alrdy won the first cgtalk award as well as the first person to win their second, hopefully the 3rd'll be soon heh

-peace

Freestyler
11-29-2002, 04:39 PM
let her tits grow..:bounce:

emilioG
11-29-2002, 04:39 PM
alright, back to the subject at hand...

Sausage
11-29-2002, 04:43 PM
Well, I guess everyone has their own opinions, eh?

I don't have a problem with female models. The more the merrier, I say. I just wanna see "fresh" and "new". Not regurgitated and recycled.

There's no denying Stahlberg's modelling talents. It just doesn't float my boat, that's all.

I tell ya what though. This forum could certainly do without all the fan-boy mentality.

Clanger
11-29-2002, 04:44 PM
I personally can't get enough beatifully created female model eye candy. wish there was more, lots more.

Sausage
11-29-2002, 04:45 PM
I didn't go off topic, Emilio.

I was commenting on Stahlberg's works.

emilioG
11-29-2002, 04:49 PM
I know susage, i wasn't pointing the finger at you. I respect your comments. Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Why don't we let Steven answer the questions.

I'll start a fresh one.

Steven: why not Hair? we talked about that awhile back you and I. You were debating hair and cloth simulation... what happened?

:)

Lunatique
11-29-2002, 05:03 PM
It's not "fanboy mentality."

It's about respect.

Steven happens to be an online friend I've known for a couple of years.

Wiro
11-29-2002, 05:19 PM
I sit right opposite Sausage at work and know that he doesn't disrespect Steven in any way, he only wants to see something new but in the same line as Steven's usual style. I understand Lunatique's point of view but doing something new doesnt mean totally straying away from doing 3D girls. Like Sausage I too would love to see a new style of girl from Steven, with a different face (not an altered version of an existing one but really new) and different body proportions. Beautiful girls dont all have the same proportions and I'd love to see what Steven can do with more variations.

Anyway, back on topic:
Again it's a nicely modeled beautiful womany by Steven and I can't really critique any flaws on the model. The folds are really nicely done. The only thing maybe is that the shirt seems to just be an extrusion of the chest, nipples and all and it would have been nice to see some wrinkles there too.

What I do find worth critiquing though are the materials. I cannot really identify what the black material is supposed to be and the stripes that go through the thighs and arms don't look natural at all to me because there are no seams or bumps between them an the other material, making it look very comped in and CGish. The black and turqoise materials also look very flat without any specular breakup, adding to the CG feel.
The skin shader looks very nice but maybe a tad too saturated red in the shadows

Oh and I'd love to see her with some sort of scene around her :)

Wiro

wgreenlee1
11-29-2002, 09:45 PM
About "Fanboy Mentality".....
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

To Steve Stahlberg's works.

Listen if you dont care for it say so and then go on.
There must be somesort of real crit you have about this style other than "same old stuff"?

Now back to studying Steves brilliant taste in 3D women!

mushroomgod
11-30-2002, 12:56 AM
There must be somesort of real crit you have about this style other than "same old stuff"?

i happen to think thats a very good constructive crit..

i love Stahlberg's work, there is no one out there who has produced as much top quality figer work as him.
But like Sausage, i would love to see somthing new, the last few models iv seen from Stahlberg all have the same face/body and im just not that impressed by it all anymore.

i think i said this on his last thread..... if somone other than you (Stahlberg) had posted this i would have nothing but the highed prase for it.. as it stands i know you can produce much better, more intresting work. its a shame where not seeing it here.

thats the negative out of the way...
love the clothing, love the renders, love the texturing :applause:

Sausage
11-30-2002, 01:59 AM
Okay, I probably went against the grain somewhat, previously. Well, let me say that I mean no offense to Steven or anyone else on this forum; especially you, Lunatique. I think I may have annoyed you most of all?

Steven is a much better modeller than I am, but it's his own high standards that I judge his work by, not mine. I know Steven is capable of great work and I guess I'm giving the "virtual prodding" to produce better pieces that I'm sure he can.

That said, I'd like to make some more useful comments and crits, as opposed to coming across negatively.

I think the hair looks like some kind of material other than hair strands. Maybe like silk/nylon fabric? Is this an area you intend to return to, Steven?

Another minor crit would be the belt buckle/clasp. Maybe it could be improved my avoiding the mirrored texturing. Some slight differences to opposite sides of the mesh would improve it a little. Although, this would only be noticeable on extreme close-ups. The metal clamp\stud area(see pic) looks a bit "bump-mappy" and could use some attention.

Nevertheless, this is an excellent model that begs to be rendered in a setting\environment to achieve a more interesting image.

thedaemon
11-30-2002, 02:30 AM
Are you going to tell Pixar to "stop making them damn cutesy 3D feature films and move on to something different"?

yes, I hate how they do only simple cutesy crap. Hell almost anyone could do their modeling...:surprised

Tactica
11-30-2002, 04:25 AM
Looking really great. I envy you :D

Stahlberg
11-30-2002, 05:09 AM
Hi Emilio, long time no hear! :)
Thanks Lunatique, I appreciate the sentiment... it's also entertaining! :)

Sausage and Aro and Mushroomgod and Skippy and others, I understand where you're coming from. I do think about doing other stuff sometimes, but there's so _much_ I want to... and not enough time.

In any case, this presenter girl isn't a personal work, she's a project (that just got cancelled by the way, fun huh).
I've become known for a particular style and now, the few customers I have expect that, can't afford to refuse them.
About the clothing, it's supposed to be some sort of rubbery latex-neoprene, guess it didn't come off that well.

Here's a little attempt at a tutorial to answer some of your questions, let me know what you think (sorry it's Maya specific):

Joint-deform tut (http://www.androidblues.com/rigtut.html)

edit: oh, and about the hair, yes I agree it's too smooth and helmet-like now, even without S&H, Shag, etc, and even though it has to be animatable, you're right I should be able to do a little better.

ilasolomon
11-30-2002, 08:19 AM
yes, I hate how PIXAR do only simple cutesy crap. Hell almost anyone could do their modeling...
OBJECTION!
sorry guys for OFF TOPICS reply, but i couldn't resist! ;)
the MODELING is not important so much, the DESIGN is! (&
above the all the STORYTELLING...)
Regards
Ila

wgreenlee1
11-30-2002, 09:03 AM
Pixars ok but thats a differant modeling style.

Now back to the matter at hand....
Steve can you post somemore renders when you have the time?
I know you're probrably pretty busy but I probrably aint the only one who would like to see more!

Sorry to hear about the project getting cancelled.

Sausage
11-30-2002, 11:09 AM
Off topic again, but I am a great fan of Pixar's work. Although much of their work is in a similar genre and style, I think they are sufficiently varied and well designed to not look "samey". Animation is always second to none, too.
----------------

So, the project got "canned" Steven? Well, I know that feeling all too well, too.

I guess the work you are producing is kind of your trademark, but if you get the time, I'd love to see more of your own original designs put into practise. Maybe non-human work? It would be good to see how you approach different subject materials. You say there's so much you want to do, but so little time? What ideas do you have in mind?

raine
11-30-2002, 12:13 PM
Awesome man, thanks for putting up your tutorial and showing the way you model and set up the characters.

Lunatique
11-30-2002, 12:59 PM
Great tutorial! It's like the advice you gave me a few months ago, except this time in full detail! :)

thedaemon
12-01-2002, 05:15 AM
sorry for the offtopic about pixar.

Mr. Stahlberg, u work is groovy, and your style, is groovy. :bounce:

Kaz
12-01-2002, 07:00 AM
Hey steven do you know the name of that CG Girl Book that had a few of your girls in it? I've been searching for it and can't remember the name of that book.. ARHH!!!
Anyway, Great work on this new girl. And many thanks for the tutorial. I Think i downloaded some PDF's of a tutorial you made for a CD or something a few months back. I can't find those PDF's anymore ::SIGH:: i know there on my HD somewhere .:beer:

Stahlberg
12-01-2002, 07:25 AM
Thanks guys.
Sausage - some of the ideas are screenplays, one is on my site.
Other ideas are still images that have no connection with anything else, and unfortunately all too ambitious - I can't justify spending all that time on them. I'm usually not able to use much from them in any other project. Yet, from time to time I do one (the least ambitious one), because it's an addiction. :)

Ideas for short animations - there's one project I feel strongly about, and I've been nursing it for many years, but have neither the time or the resources to do it.

BTW I upgraded the tutorial a little.

Kaz - I think that's 'Digital Beauties', there's also a calendar and a diary now. :)
Or it could be 'Femme Digitale' though I don't know if that's out yet.

yellowworm
12-01-2002, 04:44 PM
you're freakin awesome.

that girl is so ****ing beautiful and well done.

Nit
12-01-2002, 05:01 PM
You are the best Mr. Stahlberg!!!

Your work is perfect.

Un saludo from Spain,

Rebeca

Twisted-Imperial
12-01-2002, 11:06 PM
hey steve, one last tiny question about how you model/rig

when u do your morph targets on the leg lets say like in your tutorial do u do the same with arms and such, all the pieces detatched? or do u take your whole mesh and duplicate it than do all your morphes?

if done in peices can u just attach the mesh back together after all the morphs are done? ive had problems doing this b4. anyways thx man i swear its the last question :cool:

cheers:beer:

-Jordan

Stahlberg
12-02-2002, 03:10 AM
The Wrapper (the low-poly copy) can be cut up any way you like, and doesn't need to be fitted back together later, as long as the verts where it's cut stay in the same position, if you see what I mean. Just group them and call the group Wrapper.

The same but in reverse can be done with the hi-res Skin (these are the terms I'm using in the tutorial). But that's not recommended in every situation because higher level edits on either side of the cut will likely show it, you'll see a crease. So I usually try to leave the Skin as whole as possible, just cutting at the neck because I have to (30 or 40 facial morftargets would have to include the whole body, apart from loosing all flexibility the file would grow to hundreds of Mb, and it would slow down rendering.)
But if you have a belt on your character you can cut the Skin around the waist, and then perhaps also cut the legs apart, this would help. Or, you could probably get away in most situations with not putting any morftargets at all on the Skin. For the Wrapper, it doesn't matter if it's whole or not, it's so light.

I'm fine with the questions, keep them coming. I'm not finished with this tutorial yet, and the questions help me refine it.

shoey
12-08-2002, 02:14 PM
:applause: :applause: :applause:

love it

Twisted-Imperial
12-08-2002, 08:17 PM
thx steve that explains alot, i didnt realize the wrap didnt have to be whole. umm for my questions of cofusion maybe explain what a blinddata node is and how to find it?

thx,
-Jordan

LFGabel
12-08-2002, 10:29 PM
I have found this thread infintely valuable (as well as your tutorial on the subject). Thank you for sharing this technique.

Stahlberg
12-09-2002, 04:42 AM
Blinddata nodes are the scum of the universe... hehe maybe not but I do hate them, it all started back in PowerAnimator when you couldn't even access them at all, but in certain files they would start multiplying everytime you opened and saved a file, until it crashed the system and you lost the file (except for a painful workaround I developed later).

Nowadays you can access them, edit them (though to me that's kinda like editing the bubonic plague, why would you want to?), and finally delete them. They get created atuomatically when you work with polys and Subd's, and you can find them in the Hypergraph, I forget now if it's Downstream or Upstream, just try both. Just scan and search and delete anything that has 'blinddata' in the name. (Why in hell there's no menu item to automate this process is totally beyond me...) :)

mmmmverygood
12-09-2002, 08:33 AM
mm hope ur mothers proud... anyways steve thx for all the help, oh dudeguy... did u read throught he whole thread? has steve been such a great help to ppl with questions? looks like u stopped at lunatiques thread and ripped it apart. who cares about allt his crap its just an opinion and i think it was dropped a while ago and some one was saying something about ass kissing and whats with all this i pick this sides shit? who cares its not like this thread is gonna be important in a few months from now why waste the time

Lunatique
12-09-2002, 09:52 AM
*sigh*

Looks like some people just like to be aggressive for no reason.

1)Steven is a friend. Would you stand up for your friend if he's too nice to get annoyed by other people's comments?

2)People talk behind his back on IRC. NOT the cgtalk one, but a different one I won't name. Nothing severe, just the same kind of crit people say about his stuff here.

3)You need to learn to read. My comment about Pixar was a COMPLIMENT--meaning that they ARE pioneers, and they are GOOD AT WHAT THEY DO, but people MIGHT say something stupid like, "they do the same kind of stuff over and over" as people are saying about Steven's work. How you got the opposite meaning out of it is beyond me.

4)Steven is not using the same model over and over--he's taking his virtual actress through an evolution. His purpose is to make the perfect virtual actress, which no one has made one to the standard he's shooting for. He's trying to finish his, to the level of quality that he's satisfied with. This includes not just the model, but the rigging system, the blendshapes, and new ways for deformation and other complex issues.

Why do you assume his aspirations and goals HAVE to be like everyone else's? What if he's not trying to build a body of work of diverse subjects? What if his one and only goal IS to make that perfect virtual actress? Is that not up to YOUR standard of how diverse an artist should be? Off the high horse, buddy.

5)People do what they love. Let them. Go and do what YOU love.

raine
12-09-2002, 02:11 PM
Lunatique, well said :P .... to bad dudeguy with 1 posting had to bring us back to this conversation again!!
Stahlberg I noticed that you had your tutorial on CG channel the other day... that was fast hehe... i would love to have my tutorial posted right on the front of a huge website like that.. :D keep up your amazing work!! You were inspiration to me when i first started.. maybe even the opposite, i made a model and l looked at it and said "foget it, this is never gonna look like Stahlberg's models" hehe .... but still trying.

Alice
12-09-2002, 04:04 PM
One of my hobbies is reading books, I collect them, like them. They smell nice, look good. Old books are handcrafts that cant be found today and they contain so much more than just printed letters.
I especially collect one title, "singoalla" by Victor Rydberg.
Victor Rydberg where a realy good and creative poet and writer, Singoalla was his "baby", he rewrote it several different times and released it with several different endings.
Yet, noone told him in his face that they got bored of reading his baby over and over again.

Watching someones process is an interesting thing, if you cant se the evulution of someones work, then maybe its your ability to spot changes thats wrong, and not that the artist have a "baby" they care for.

I visit this forum and see is as a privilege to see other peoples work, and as a visitor one could wish, constructive critisism is the only way to go.
Does the fact that a person does something good gives anyone the right to give anything else that constructive criticism ?

aww well.. .maybe this came out as jibberish.. my english aint that good.
Just got a bit upset.
Take care!
/Alice

qu2k
12-09-2002, 04:42 PM
about the whole "why dont you do anything else" stuff, i have to say, if i could make women that good i wouldnt make anything else

raine
12-09-2002, 08:58 PM
I was thinking that also hehe, if i could model a car as good as i want to or a woman like Stahlberg's i would probably stick to it. OH and i forgot to mention to you Stahlberg that my girlfriend isnt into 3d like i am but likes looking at peoples work and yours is her favorite... the one you made with the girl on that stool is amazing, we both think so and its her favorite 3d and she also admires your work.:D

animalunae
12-09-2002, 10:35 PM
He's done it again... well... this time I really need a few days to find some crits...

first I was wondering what the problem was with the displaying of edges...

You see the SubD's are harder to model in than the poly because you can never see both the edges and the points at the same time, you could in v3 but not in v4 anymore (has pissed me off so much I don't even want to talk about it).

Isn't it possible to set Maya to display the edges in Subdiv Component display? Or am I missing the problem here? Anyway, the evolution from Maya 3.0 to 4.0 and from 4.0 to 4.5 is all about commerce I'd say, making it easier to learn, easier to use if you know nothing about 3D... they should name Maya 5.0 "Maya Max", I'd like some real improvement, instead of some shifting around of commands and buttons... So if you were able to do something in 3.0, there's probably a button that would change that back... don't worry. Come to think of it... I really miss Maya 2.0...snif

Then... about the thread: your knowledge about Maya overwhelms me every time I read your threads. I'm amazed, every single time...

Now about the girl: Practically perfect, can't give much crits, I really like the shading of the belt, although it would be nice to have more of that coolness in the clothing too... it looks sad compared to the belt and boots.
What I didn't like that much were the teeth, they look too dark if you'd ask me... the shadows have too much contrast in my opinion, perhaps some more transglucense or a brighter white... dunno, now it kinda looks like she's not perfect afterall...
And I'm trying real hard to find something that might need a little improvement... the belly might be a little too sharp, if it actually was that hard edged, it would have a wave in that line, see what I mean?
But she looks great, really like her, think she's your best girl ever... keep it up... and the work too...

And Btw, they should have placed your girl on the Digital Beauties cover, the one on the cover scares me...

tomb
12-09-2002, 10:43 PM
I've seen steven do stuff other than chicks:
http://www.scifi.com/sfw/gallery/full74.jpg
http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Community/Connect/events/awgua_2001/html/seminars/img/sstahlberg.jpg
http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Community/Connect/events/awgua_2001/html/seminars/img/sstahlberg2.jpg
http://www.androidblues.com/rooster.jpg
http://www.androidblues.com/badguy.jpg
http://www.androidblues.com/angelus2.jpg
http://www.androidblues.com/helgedom.jpg
http://www.androidblues.com/tank.jpg
http://www.androidblues.com/chase.JPG
http://www.androidblues.com/myarena.jpg
http://www.androidblues.com/dragonfly.jpg
http://www.androidblues.com/cigar.jpg
http://www.androidblues.com/landscape.JPG
http://www.illusion2k.com/site/projetos/projetos.php?id_materia=50
But I like his chicks the most :thumbsup:

Mangaka604
12-09-2002, 11:27 PM
Fine display of modeling and texturing...the only problem other than the belt that was mentioned before is the pose (the one when she's sort of on the ground)

See on her left upper arm/shoulder area? If you tried to lift you arm above 90 degrees, your shoulder would also lift up also. You can't lift your arms that high without your shoulders also rotating. Just rotate the shoulder bone up also to help compensate for it.

raine
12-10-2002, 12:13 AM
How do you get the iner side of the elbo and pant areas around the hips to have a nice wrinkle like that? Do you model that in or do you use some type of deformer? Thanks... sorry im new to modeling this type of surface :)

stephen2002
12-10-2002, 12:24 AM
this thread sure has been interesting to read. I hope to see your "virtual actress" actually doing something other than standing around and looking pretty someday. (I did see the animations on his site, but they are so basic)

Stahlberg
12-10-2002, 04:28 AM
Raine - those wrinkles are modeled. You can only do that with the bigger ones, that you know wouldn't change that much through the joint-rotation, that's why I didn't model those typical wrinkles radiating from the crotch that you can see on pants, for instance - they change quite a lot even with small leg-movements.

Mangaka604 - yes I didn't pose that one very well... here's another image where I was testing the deformations, I know it's not perfect but it's better than it used to be. :)
http://www.androidblues.com/shouldr1.jpg

derby, thanks, good crit.

tomb - wow what a link collection, a couple things there I haven't seen in years! Nostalgia...

firebreath
12-10-2002, 04:30 AM
nice work.....I love the modelling but there is something ackward with the clothes that I can't quite put my finger on....I dunno....They just don't feel the right style for her....good modelling tho...

Twisted-Imperial
12-10-2002, 08:03 AM
simply stating that your bored bored bored? i dont recall a simple statemnet from your 2 posts? and from canada insulting ppl i dont find that very nice i agree tho everyone is entitled to their opinion but making fun of ppl...

i just dont get it.

yo steve ive been hunting for those evil blinddata nodes thx for the tip

Lunatique
12-10-2002, 08:05 AM
dudeguy- Okay, you just proved that you enjoy being a jerk. When people starting acting that way, I leave the conversation. Life is too short to be spent arguing with people who:

1) Have too much testosterone and can't control it.

2) Gets off on being a jerk

3) Haven't learned "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything." A criticism is one thing, but go reread the tone of your posts. You are just a jerk.

4) Aren't polite enough to remember who's thread it is and what was the purpose of it.

5)Resorts to name calling. Making up a name like Staleberg is just plain rude and disrespectful. Your parents must be proud of you.

Have a nice life.

Steven, sorry about this. I meant well, but as you can see, this world is full of @ssholes.

j3st3r
12-10-2002, 08:57 AM
Peace, friends...

First of all. This is a public forum, where everyone can express her/his thoughts about the subject, because that`s why a thread has been started, isn`t it?

Second. All of us MUST understand, that each artist is trying to push his/her work to the best. And there are several ways of doing it. In martial arts, you make the same maneuvers for hundred times, until it gets perfect. In art one makes new models each time even for pure practicing, but one might refine his earlier models to achieve the best.

Steven uses his basic model as a BASE, if you read the threads started by Steven. He uses as base, and uses subdivision to add details...It`s not like pushing the final model`s vertices until you get a new head.

Guys, and Girls. I think Steven`s works are among the best, and the most insipirative artworks (including Francisco Cortina, Rene Morel, and many other artist), because they are pushing the limits. I do admire all people, who has the patient to implement so much effort into this art.

One more thing...critique MUST be objective...I can`t stand two kind of critiques. One starting with "The general human ...", the second starting with "It`s good start, but..."
The first is wrong, because most artist want`s to creat CHARACTERS not general humans, the seconf is too polite, because the artist might feel, he is on the right way, although the model he shown is the worst ever...

There is a fine way to tell your thought rudeguy, oops, I mispelled, dudeguy, where you may tell your thought honestly, but without harming anyone.

Have nice day, Merry Christmas, Peace, and long live the girls

Stahlberg
12-10-2002, 09:08 AM
S' okay, Luna. We're having a good chuckle here in KL.

Wiro
12-10-2002, 10:38 AM
Please guys, it's ok to state your opinions, whatever side you are taking but whats the point of namecalling?

Just put forward your opinions in a respectful manner. I can truly understand Stahlberg laughing at them instead of taking them to heart otherwise...

Wiro

Teyon
12-10-2002, 03:09 PM
Wow. Just...Wow. You....wow. I love it. I usually like all your work but I actually love this. She's great.

Laa-Yosh
12-10-2002, 05:06 PM
While Dudeguy is quite offensive, there certainly is some truth in what he says...

I believe that an artist can have many different approaches to his work. One can create many different pieces of art and consider them completed, never to be touched again. Another can hold on to one piece with the desire to make it perfect and polish it for years, maybe even a lifetime.

It seems that Steve is dedicated to his virtual actress in such a way. Obviously there's no reason why he couldn't do that and noone can tell him to stop. He can also show his work to whoever he wants to and noone is forced to take a look at it. However anyone can have an opinion about this and may voice it just as well - although it would be wise to do it in a polite manner. Still everyone can think and say what he wants to, wheter it is the work of Steve, Wiro, or Michaelangelo or anyone else.

Now my opinion on this topic is that Steve definitely knows his stuff and I'm also grateful for the explanations he always presents for his techniques. I have a bunch of his images saved as references to help me in my work and his approach to skin shaders has been very helpful too. On the other hand I could never get myself to work with Maya's subdivs, for example.

However I tend to agree with those here who say that maybe Steve should spend some time on other models as well. There are so many things that you can learn working on completely different things and you never know what knowledge you might miss if you stick to doing the same thing again and again. Creating a monster or a car or something completely different might just give you the ideas that you need to make your work better.
Now I know that Steve has quite a lot of experience and I have no clue what he's working on at his job... Still I'd have to agree that it would be nice to see something else from him from time to time. Maybe a completely new girl made from the ground up? ;)

visionmaster
12-10-2002, 06:18 PM
i think mr Stahlberg is free to work on what HE WANT
when i see your models, i am jalous, i can't work since some hours; after it give me some motivations to try to have your level.

please mr Stahlberg, continue to give us some amazing images, tips, tutorial...

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

schock
12-10-2002, 07:14 PM
Hi Stahlberg, I have been working on a similar technique for deformation and found your tutorial very interesting. Your technique is explained well for getting the deformation on one rotation to work but I have not figured out how to get all the blendshapes working together on a joint that has more than one axes of rotation (ex. the shoulder.) Could you in your tutorial explain how you get multiple blendshapes deformaining a joint moving on multiple axes to work together. Thanks

schock

Titan
12-11-2002, 03:14 AM
holy crap....I'm gonna have to go back and read al this , but I did read DudeGuys's post......
how the hell did someone posting their artwork spawn a flame war...thats not what this forum is about is it?

FraggleFart
12-11-2002, 04:15 AM
It would be a terrible shame if posts were removed for being too offensive on a proffessional cg forum. Im fairly new to cg, but have found Steven's work to be some of the most inspirational pieces. I am, and never have, (or ever will be!) a "realist". I dig cartoons, man. but the care and love and sheer expertise these ladies have had poured into them deserve more than some of he apathetic views "shared" here.
Pretty cool how Steven doesnt hve enough time to persue all his own projects and yet still posts help and tutorials huh?
Ive checked his site, the technical and artistic progression is there to see.
Awesome work, thanks again, please keep it up.
I do hope no one feels im just kissing a$$!!!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Stahlberg
12-11-2002, 05:05 AM
Laa-Yosh, good points.
A new girl from the ground up? The version I have now is 4.1, which means I've rebuilt her from the ground up at least 4 times.
About learning by modeling new things, that's very true. So far I've done machinery, weapons, interior and exterior architecture, furniture, landscapes, clothing, men, women, children, vehicles, packaging, trees, flowers, logos, special effects, a few cartoony animals... Yes there are new things I could try, and others I could re-try, using SubD's and today's shaders. Actually there's a lot of things I want to do -

But my main problem is time. Funny, most people seem to assume this is what I do in my spare time - let me make it clear, it's not. It's my full time job, 10 hours a day. This is what I'm supposed to make a living out of. Modeling a monster or something else radically different is not going to pay my rent, it would in fact be a foolish waste of time for me right now (read 'my wife would kill me')...

schock - I make one morftarget for the forward motion, and one or two for the sideways/up motion, and another for the backwards. If the arm goes forward AND up then it should mix 2 morftargets, I don't know what package you use but in Maya the morftargets mix without problem (if you put all the targets on the same node).

wgreenlee1
12-11-2002, 07:05 AM
Alls I can say is'WHERE THE F*CK IS SOME DAMN RENDERS STEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While we are all arguein you think you could put up some more renders>>>>>>>>>>PLEASE<<<<<<<<<<<<

Thank you...
We now return you to the thread of doom.........:cool:

danRod
12-11-2002, 07:33 AM
dudeguy chill outman. I understand you are pushing the subject here and trying to motivate in your own way, but dont sound like such a freakin wiro, ohhhh, I mean weirdo about it. Steve is good and able to reuse the model and SO WHAT. big deal. Its cool, great and well modeled. If it bothers you so much, then dont read anymore. By the way.....what is your website dudeguy.....I want to see some more of your work. Just to look ehhh:)

L8s

Wiro
12-11-2002, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by danRod
...but dont sound like such a freakin wiro, ohhhh, I mean weirdo about it...

:surprised
:insane:

Wiro

Stahlberg
12-11-2002, 11:40 AM
Some people ask for more renders, others want me to animate, yet others want me to do something completely different, I'm so confused...
Ok here's another render.

http://www.androidblues.com/aida3.jpg

marc
12-11-2002, 11:52 AM
yeah her buttox is not right. u should add like "lines" at the bottom cuz it leather and its supposed to look tight that would help in my opinion. and the problem with the texture as posted above. great work though.

j3st3r
12-11-2002, 11:53 AM
Steven, it`s so simple....Do another completely different animated render....:rolleyes:

Anyway...I`d like to see more behind the scene images...Wires, rigs, morphtargets...and of course, the reference girl :eek:

Salut

j3st3r
12-11-2002, 12:01 PM
Steven, it`s so simple....Do another completely different animated render....:rolleyes:

Anyway...I`d like to see more behind the scene images...Wires, rigs, morphtargets...and of course, the reference girl :eek:

Salut

Gotham
12-11-2002, 01:08 PM
-"Some people ask for more renders, others want me to animate, yet others want me to do something completely different, I'm so confused...
Ok here's another render."

Hihi, it's because you're CG Star! ;)

Personally I will be happy to see additional renders... What poses can you imagine... It?s a question to me :).

Wires, rigs, morphtargets... What for? It's not an art... There is many tutors etc. in web...

j3st3r
12-11-2002, 01:13 PM
I was always curiuous about the techniques, even if I was looking at a painting, a sculpture, or any other artform. Looking at wireframes, rigs, morphtargets is a great way of learning...

king of tartine
12-11-2002, 01:47 PM
Great:buttrock:
the face have very changed, she look realistic women....amazing.
please more wire pictures of your level0 body.....

animalunae
12-11-2002, 02:47 PM
There ya go, great, nice bright teeth and I can't see if you change the belly, but it certainly looks perfect from this point of view... fantastic...

Btw let's get back to the discussion at hand: what is it that can be critisized about his presenter girl, NOT wether he should create something else or not...

wgreenlee1
12-11-2002, 03:05 PM
Some people ask for more renders, others want me to animate, yet others want me to do something completely different, I'm so confused...
Ok here's another render.

http://www.androidblues.com/aida3.jpg

Oh....
She is a cutie.......
Thanks Steve................

I would just rather see more renders...
Animations ar ok but renders are just fine....

r0bal
12-11-2002, 03:12 PM
I love this model! It's so perfect :eek:
I can't watch :D

Teyon
12-11-2002, 05:13 PM
Hey...is it me or is there something wrong with the bend in her arms...or is it her fingers? Something about that pose doesn't feel right to me, Steve...er Mr.Stahlberg...not that I could do better mind you.

jamihn
12-11-2002, 06:02 PM
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

I love that pose!

coCoKNIght
12-11-2002, 06:12 PM
HOVERCRAFT?!

I wanna see the "some kind of howercraft" she'll be flying with! :applause:
Your model is superb like always, no critique.

kfc
12-12-2002, 04:06 AM

But my main problem is time. Funny, most people seem to assume this is what I do in my spare time - let me make it clear, it's not. It's my full time job, 10 hours a day. This is what I'm supposed to make a living out of. Modeling a monster or something else radically different is not going to pay my rent, it would in fact be a foolish waste of time for me right now (read 'my wife would kill me')...

[/B]

I do feel the same Steven. CG artists life isn't easy at all. sadly, not alot of ppl out there understand how little is the time we had in our whole life.
Steven, is Optidigit going to hire any new animators?

casper
12-12-2002, 09:57 AM
very beautiful:bounce: she is great work:thumbsup:

SirManfred
12-12-2002, 11:18 AM
Hmmm... i think her fingers are too long.
Else than that, im pretty stunned.

LFGabel
12-12-2002, 04:56 PM
Well, I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers...

McSpirit
12-12-2002, 09:38 PM
You can see that she is CG with ease.... But she looks so alive thoug... How do you do it man.. i mean what is your trick. Lighting, detalis ? how man how... i wanna know HOOOOOWW:love: :love: :love:

Stahlberg
12-13-2002, 05:08 AM
Yes, you're right, the fingers look too long in this pose; they look ok in the neutral pose though, so it must be the pivot for the knuckles is too far down or something.

kfc - no, we're not hiring right now, we're waiting for sensitive corporate discussions to get finalized...

BTW I updated that tutorial with some added images and text at the end...
http://www.androidblues.com/rigtut.html

katon
12-13-2002, 06:16 AM
i think it looks great as usual keep it up

Stahlberg
12-13-2002, 08:41 AM
Same pose as the first one, different angle. (Part of a turntable animation for a new client, we're trying to re-use this character for a different project since the original one got canned)
http://www.androidblues.com/aida4.jpg

RISKBREAKER
12-13-2002, 11:15 AM
Hey again, love your work.:buttrock:

Sorry to go a little off topic, but I've been wondering on something for quite a while now. I just wanted to ask who did that cover of U2's With or Without You track you used in one of your clips (which were pretty cool, BTW)?

janhath
12-13-2002, 12:06 PM
Beautiful work. The belt is extra nice detailing. Very nice looking model.:applause: :)

LBoogie
12-13-2002, 01:06 PM
whoa...simply amazing

danbran
12-13-2002, 04:18 PM
looks like 2D airbrush work! very cool stylization!

dan

Stahlberg
12-14-2002, 07:20 AM
Thanks guys. Danbran - Fishman is fantastic! And his sidekick Marlin... :D

riskbreaker, that was Arnold Hennings, a music producer, at the time working out of Atlanta, haven't heard from him in a while. He did the other song too, the singer is probably some studio musician he knew. That whole thing with the 3 girl group called XXO was his idea, but it never took off, (same old story, we never managed to scare up enough dough).

wgreenlee1
12-14-2002, 07:25 AM
Good stuff Steve!

Diamant
12-14-2002, 10:26 AM
well Steven.. beautiful as usual. You definetly have been an inspiration to many of us including me. Out of curiousity, do you have any upcoming projects where we might get to see more of your work? movie, short, whatnot? I guess more or less I'm interested in what your company is up to and what kind of projects you are working on. I'd love to see a finished animation piece with your newest work. Its always nice to see characters come alive.

Stahlberg
12-15-2002, 03:48 AM
Hey Diamant, saw that recent thread you had here, a whole bunch of incredibly sexy women, very well done! :)

The ad industry in this region is in ruins, fees are a 10th of what they used to be only a few years ago, the jobs have all but totally dried up. The pendulum will most likely swing back again, but too late to save many of today's companies - including mine.

So we're looking to start a groundbreaking new very ambitious business, combining an apprentice-style learning environment with a large production house specialized in the creation of virtual talent, and long format productions, featuring this talent. We would carefully select artists to go through an 18 month program, where they would be working on real long format projects for at least 12 months of that.

So ambitious are these plans that they could end up jump-starting the non-existent Malaysian film industry. The government is constantly saying it needs to develop these exact sectors, the IT and MultiMedia and Entertainment and MM-Education sectors, and also that they think we could be instrumental to help them do it; and we have enjoyed lots of government support during these last 5 years - in words.

But not in money of course. Millions go to less deserving and less useful projects (even in these sectors) every year. As we're facing the necessity of closing down operations and moving to another country to take a 'normal' job with a monthly salary, the government just sits there, looking on, still saying the same things it's been saying for years, but not offering any concrete help whatsoever. We're in discussions with VC's, other local companies, and local multimedia schools, so far it's still a VERY slow process and I probably won't know anything for another several months.

Danbran, I saw Fishman on Techtv last night, congrats!

Titan
12-15-2002, 04:26 AM
Hey Stahlberg,
just out of curiosity(you might have mentioned this elsewhere and maybe I missed it)
...any insights on youre texturing methods would be most appreciated....specifically the head and face.

Diamant
12-15-2002, 09:57 AM
Steven, thanks for the compliments :) you of all people know how hard it is to create the perfect female. Everyone just seems soo much more critical if its a woman instead of a man. so hearing a compliment from the man who basically created the word "sexy" for 3d characters is definetly a plus :) sorry to hear about the job situation over there. Definetly is a tough time we are living in now. Its not easy for many people in this industry. Good luck with your current project and do let us know when you have more to show... even though i'm sure you already plan on it :)

danbran
12-15-2002, 06:35 PM
thanks for the compliments on Fishman! I look forward to more of your work!

db

M.Rogne
12-15-2002, 08:19 PM
Well... What is there to say ? As everyone else I guess I'll just say... Wow...

Stahlberg
12-16-2002, 09:08 AM
Hey Titan, here's a little tutorial I did today, hope it answers your questions, though it is a little generic, since I tried to be non-software-specific:
http://www.androidblues.com/shadetut.html

Titan
12-16-2002, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the tut , very helpful...so all of youre textures are procedural? no maps?

animalunae
12-16-2002, 05:03 PM
Hey Steven, I'm currently working on 11 japanese warriors, with 11 different ranks (link (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=32280&goto=newpost)), but the reference I got on the eyes is poor and can't seem to find more good ones... could you possibly render a closeup of the eye of your shading tutorial asian guy in side and front view or a wireframe?

I really like the latest render of your presenter girl btw, she rocks

Sciatica
12-16-2002, 05:07 PM
A couple things I wanted to point out. There just my own opinions but, here goes:

1) Theres a wrinkle in the pants on her left leg near the crotch that looks a bit off (the very bottom wrinkle). Did you use a cloth simulator for the pants or did you model them from scratch?

2) I agree that the hair could use a different technique. You seem to have a great charecter, but the hair seems to bring it down. Theres also a seam running down the back that is pretty noticable. With a bit of tweaking, Paint effects does really nice hair.

4) On the second picture, theres an odd look to the bottom of her chin. Kind of a crease.

3) The bellybutton seems to have some odd jagged geometry going on. Looks like maybe the verts arn't joined.

4) The belts on the boots could maybe use a bit of thickning. They look a bit thin.

5) The creases in the bend of the boot on the detail picture I like alot for somereason :) Good work.

Once again, this is just me nitpicking. Overall, wicked model. Like it alot.

Stahlberg
12-17-2002, 03:59 AM
Titan, normally I use mostly maps, but in that asian face I did add some fractal noise in the specularity channel.
Derby, let me see what I can do - how about this?

http://www.androidblues.com/asianeyescreen.jpg

Note how not only are the cheekbones and eyes further forward than in your average 'Gwei Lo' face, but the eyelids are thicker, because they're folded over themselves - in effect triple thickness. This makes for almost no dip at all under the eyebrows, and an inner corner of the eye that's much deeper.

Sciatica, good calls. but I hate PaintFX for long hair, for me it's been like trying to paint a beautiful portrait with a 10 foot pole... :) But maybe I'll try again. The bellybutton, I put a crease there, maybe too sharp. The pants were modeled, but I was unable to change the 0 level geometry which can be restrictive sometimes (the tutorial here (http://www.androidblues.com/rigtut.html) shows why).
The line under the chin is a dip which some people have, but maybe not that well defined... :)

Solace
12-17-2002, 04:52 AM
This is outstanding lifelike work:applause:

Titan
12-17-2002, 04:54 AM
stephen, let me just say you are phenomenal and one hell of a good sport for taking the time to post youre excellent works and try to answer everyones questions in depth...:beer:

thanks for all the advice

animalunae
12-17-2002, 12:37 PM
Thanx I think I can try some more tweaking now...

mentholx
12-28-2002, 07:00 AM
steven, I miss the girl,would you like to post more image of her?

Spliff_Richards
12-28-2002, 10:27 AM
Beautifull.

Flaviosen
12-28-2002, 08:55 PM
i must say that ur work is stunning!
what i am most intrested in is how u model and map the hair on the girls.

and again....i luv ur work:drool:

skidd
12-29-2002, 03:34 AM
Be careful Steven, the gods must be looking some way to send you to the HELL, therefore you are passing of the limits of the creation human.
LOL :)

You must be annoying with as many compliments, but you currently it is a star of the CG in this times.

I want to see more "visual wonders" created by you, around there...

Congratulations,
Daniel Monguilhott - Brazil

see ya! :)

NelsonInomvan
12-29-2002, 01:09 PM
Awesome man :applause:

Stahlberg
12-30-2002, 06:02 AM
Solace, Titan, Richards, Flaviosen, skidd, thanks.

mentholx, I'm a bit busy right now but 2 upcoming jobs should be using the same girl so I should have some renderings later.

Flaviosen, heh, many think the hair is the worst part of my characters, so maybe I'm not the right one to give advice on that... :) but as for the modeling, it's fairly simple and lacks detail, and I try to get that missing detail in the image maps instead. Which are usually based on photographs.

HieSpike
12-30-2002, 09:23 AM
Hi,
Just wanted to say hi. I've seen your renders many, many, many times in many different websites.
It's like I'm writing to a surreal person that only exists in the cg fantasy world.
Anyway, love your work like everyone else.
Oh ya, here's a wip I'm doing, it's not exactly a supermodel, but maybe you can give me some comments or suggestions.

Peace,
Kane
:wavey:

Katarzis_o
12-30-2002, 01:18 PM
I think im about to cry!!!
:eek:
that is sooo beautiful!!!
:scream:

Nummos
12-30-2002, 08:22 PM
Besides personal preferences your work is there and it shows.
Gratz my friend. A masterful piece hands down!!:buttrock:

madtank
12-30-2002, 09:28 PM
wow .. 16 pages.. thats nice :love:

Stahlberg
12-31-2002, 02:58 AM
I have several comments HieSpike, but since they're so subtle I attach a retouched version of your image, hope you don't mind. Here's a list of what I did to it:

Color - desaturated slightly along shadow-edge. Eyebrows - softer edges, darker inside. Hair - varied the middle top. Lower eyelids lower, lashes thicker, eye-corners lower, outer corners forward and in, irises darker at the top, lighter at bottom, pupils bigger, highlights bigger, wrinkle under eye lower, upper lip thicker, mouth-corners deeper, shoulders slightly more sloping... I think that's basically it.

All this doesn't mean it's not a good rendering, it's very good. As I said these changes are all very subtle, and I'm not even sure all of them are necessary, I may have gotten carried away a little. :)

Flaviosen
12-31-2002, 03:17 AM
cute toddle :)

ok...so u use photos for maps...but how do u start modeling the hair...do u use patches or is it extruded from the model...i find that hair is frigging impossible to make...and i havnt found a good tut on it....so if ur guruness could pleeaaas whipser it in my ear, the great almighty story, about the hair modeling situation :beer:

i like ur indian girl the most now after i have looked at ur website about a 100 times :p

HieSpike
12-31-2002, 04:43 AM
THANKS!!!!
I realy appreciate the comments and your time.
I'll get right to work on some of those changes.

peace,
Kane
:xtreme:

p.s. you realy are as nice a people say.

delun
12-31-2002, 09:07 PM
Hi Steve,

First of all, I would like to say that I'm always a quiet admirer of your works. In your previous posts you've expressed your frustrations(maybe?) with the Malaysian government. Since I'm a Malaysian myself, I just can't express enough how annoyed I'm with this government. They just talk big and deliver little. Even though right now I'm working in US(in a small but surviving post production studio), I'm still very much interested with the computer animation development back home. I'm really happy to see some one with your kind of caliber to start off something that can bring the Malaysian CG industry to become one of the fore-runners. I can see how tough the path is ahead of you. But keep it up, man. The end of the tunnel is near! Oh, oh...I can see the light now!:thumbsup:

adeptacheese
12-31-2002, 11:57 PM
O.O

Stahlberg
01-02-2003, 07:01 AM
Flaviosen - ok you can start by creating a degree 3 NURBS 'helmet' for the head, a half sphere should be good as a starting point... pull it into shape, add a few isoparms if needed, then texture this so it looks like long hair pulled back in a pony-tail, it's useful for a base and it can always be used later for an actual ponytail. :)
Then create a degree 3 NURBS plane, as simple as possible, curve it a bit both ways, and texture it with a photographic texture, taking special care with the transparency map.
Look at it like you're creating a sprite of a single hair-tress or bunch of tresses...
Place it and copy it, where and how many depends on the particular hair-style you're after. For some hairstyles you'll only need 2 - 6 bigger ones at the front, for others you may need dozens of smaller ones. Usually you'll want more than one single shader on all these 'hair-sprites', to avoid a look of repetition - again how many shaders you need will depend on how many sprites you have.

delun, thanks, I hear you. :)

Matt
01-02-2003, 09:00 AM
I hate giving fanboy reviews like this but, Stahlberg, why don't you make something flawed every once in a while so we know you're human!

Julez4001
05-22-2003, 05:31 PM
bounce back

Napa!m
05-22-2003, 06:26 PM
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

nice work

Julez4001
09-09-2003, 09:52 PM
Bouncing .....

Hey Steve, anymore "Rooster" pics

magilla
11-06-2003, 01:16 AM
Hey, this thread is almost a year old!
started 11-26-2002

anyway.... I've been modelling a character along the process of creating a low-poly mesh wrap-deforming a subd and using blendshapes to control joint deformations - I like to call it the "Stahlberg method". I have come across a couple of things that you may or may not be aware of.

http://www.animagicnet.no/maya/bodyShape/index.html

I used to use this to create my blendshapes - an awesome script - unfortunately it doesn't work in 5 so I export my mesh back to 4 and create the blends. It lets you manipulate the verts directly on your model to create the blends.

also I've been experimenting with this,

http://cube.phlatt.net/forums/spiraloid/viewtopic.php?TopicID=634#4966

It creates a modifying blendshape to compensate for the effect of two blends being activated by sdk's - such as on hips and shoulders.
Apparently there is a problem using these in conjunction with bodyshape - but follow the final response from Daniel and I think it's all possible (with a bit of hardcore scripting).

And finally some questions: You say that you don't do any weighting! SO I assume that you just do a rigid bind to the bones and leave it default? I've found that I do need to tweak weights with my model otherwise the resulting blends can be ridiculous shapes - which obviously means that It's not re-usable.

Do you use a subd head or a poly with wrap the same as the body?

I'd really like to streamline this method to the point of creating a cps/autoRig/subd plug so that you could re-use or just re-create meshes and blends for wildly varying characters.:drool:

--magilla

Franz
11-06-2003, 11:21 AM
This is probably nothing new to you but congrats to your
great sense of creating women and creating those well composed
scenes. You are very inspiring to me.
This is quite personal but I would like to know why you chose
KualaLumpur as your place to live?

DoLeeP
11-11-2003, 01:32 AM
great work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DoLeeP
11-11-2003, 01:32 AM
great work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

eburdeinick
11-12-2003, 11:39 AM
GREAT-AMAZING-EXCELLENT !!!!

Memnon
11-28-2003, 10:03 PM
Very nice work.

Btw, you have mail ;)

snovak
12-01-2003, 12:44 AM
I guess this thread is a touch on the rusty side. At any rate, the work hasn't rusted a bit. It's still amazing.
I aspire to work such as this. I hope I can get close to work of this caliber. Simply amazing, very tasteful, and as mentioned about a million times, a style all your own.

Tilstrom
12-06-2003, 07:49 AM
Great work yeah! :buttrock:

RickStefani
12-10-2003, 09:11 PM
Insperational work.

ibeliveicanfly
12-12-2003, 05:34 PM
great work:thumbsup:

the Muffin Man
12-13-2003, 04:49 AM
her face is ****ing amazing.. it's like, the best - congrats on choice gallery. She's beautiful.. and the belt is.. dare i say myst-quality? simply incredible work. :beer: :applause: :bowdown:

Stahlberg
12-26-2003, 02:16 AM
Thanks everyone, sorry for being late... :) I forgot to keep an eye on this new forum.

Thanks for those links magilla I'll look into it.
For my latest version body (not this one) I did do some minor weight-painting, mainly because I wanted her to be able to move each toe separately; I also smoothed the complex shoulders rig a bit.
(See my thread in the Focused Crits or in the Maya forum.)
I use a SubD head without a wrap on this Presenter-girl, but I did use a wrap on Melissa (one of the NFS Underground girls - also a thread, in Finished 3d) - it seems to work also. But I think it's cleaner and less 'risky' if I don't use a wrap but just group the head to the top neck joint (the neck is now part of the body instead).

Franz I moved to KL because my partner loves this place and has settled here (he's originally from Switzerland), then I got to see the potential this place has; also now I simply like it here. :)

kcurtis
12-26-2003, 05:38 AM
First off let me just say I think your work is some of the best out there I've ever seen. If I could just get my models to even half of what your are I would be in awe. Ive only done one female character which is posted on my website which also was my first try at a character. When I was in school trying yo learn Maya and such, many of the instructors went to your site to show us examples and some tutorials. Great Work!!!

Couple questions even though some may be old or I just totally missed something...lol

Your rigs? Whats the average time they take to do? When you do the skely, do you add bones for ribs front and backside? And your morph targets, are they like influences. I used some influences on my model after learning them from Gnomons dvd skinning 4.

And two, for your clothes, do you usually model them separate kinda of like say a poser model, that fit right on top of the body so you can interchange pieces or are they modeled as part of the body. I understand belts and small objects might be modeled separate but I was wondering like shirts and pants.

Thanks..
www.digitalcurtis.com

skyeywei
12-26-2003, 08:22 AM
good job ! :)

Stahlberg
12-29-2003, 09:46 AM
Thanks. kcurtis, a rig like that is fairly time-consuming since I have to do lots of morf-targets and tie them to joints rotations, often several to the same joint. I'd say a couple weeks just for that.
I usually use some "fish-bone" type bones to steady the upper chest and spine with regards to the neck and shoulders.
The morf-targets have as their target a wrap deformer, which is a Maya thing - you can have a look at my rigging tute
here (http://www.androidblues.com/rigtut.html)
Shirts and pants I would model if they are tight enough. Also some images of that at the above link.

Wardile
01-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Lookin good... i dont wanna sound pervy er anything, but mail me her naked please hehehe

zsz
01-03-2004, 02:03 AM
yea, i just can't say anything! i love you!