PDA

View Full Version : Game Character Polysurface...

Firelark
12-25-2005, 12:45 PM
Hello, I hope this isnt an stupid question, if it is feel free to tell me off :scream:. I'm about to make a game character for a fictitious PS3 game, (its a school project).

My question is: IN GENERAL, is it ok to mix triagles and quads for the polygon surface of the character? Or should I stay with only triangles or only quads? Or doesnt it matter?

- Karl

InAction
12-25-2005, 12:55 PM
I don't think my opinion counts at all (as I'm a total amateur) but I think it doesn't matter too much. There's alot more of other things that needs to take into consideration. ^^;

MrWaRrDoG
12-25-2005, 01:06 PM
Wel I think it doesn't matter because it's a gamecharacter. You will need to convert to tris eventually (either you or the game engine does). If you're going to smooth it or animate it, it's best to convert to either all quads or all tris...
Pro-modelers: correct me if i'm wrong

Aggroblakh
12-25-2005, 04:42 PM
I believe its better to model in quads because it makes normal mapping, triangle stripping and other technical things a bit easier. Also, quads seem to hold up better under deformation, so personally I would go with quads. I've seen people use triangles though, so don't take my sole opinion.

RmachucaA
12-25-2005, 05:00 PM
ANY object or thing exported to the game engine is automatically converted to TRI's, so no use in discussing if quads are better.

Firelark
12-25-2005, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I've always heard that one should stick with quads for the sake of good deformations, however I think it is quit useful to be able to alow both tris and quads. Indeed, if the model is going to be converted to triangles then there's no problem.

I realised that I might have posted in the wrong place on this forum, appologize for that.

- Karl

ChimpanG
12-25-2005, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I've always heard that one should stick with quads for the sake of good deformations, however I think it is quit useful to be able to alow both tris and quads. Indeed, if the model is going to be converted to triangles then there's no problem.

I realised that I might have posted in the wrong place on this forum, appologize for that.

- Karl

from the teachings of many-a-artist here i must say that quads are the best method of modelling your character, even though it will eventually be converted to triangles, for your sake it will be better to use quads, as mentioned above it makes alot of things easier for the artist.

WAcky
12-26-2005, 06:04 AM
from the teachings of many-a-artist here i must say that quads are the best method of modelling your character, even though it will eventually be converted to triangles, for your sake it will be better to use quads, as mentioned above it makes alot of things easier for the artist.

yeah but alot of people model very low poly models (psp models) in tri's so they can get the best shape out of each and every triangle.

i say model in triangles. more control over the shape of your model.

RampanT
12-27-2005, 02:31 AM
If this is for a fictitious ps3 game, then i'd make it in quads. Within reason, we try to keep our models built entirely in quads. It is true that the model is converted to triangles in the game engine, but a model made of quads is easier to work with because you generally end up with a cleaner, more organised mesh - which deforms better when animated. Once you are working on a character of more than 2000 triangles, which for ps3 you will be, then you should be able to make the model entirely of quads. Making use of triangles is beneficial for lower poly models, like the PSP as suggested - but for ps3 it should not be necessary.

misterboogie
12-27-2005, 03:32 AM
Listen to RampanT, he knows what he's talking about. If you're developing art assets for the PS3 keep them in Quads. Quads make for better tristripping and run faster, believe it or not, on the PS3. You can have triangles in your model but keep them to a minimum. Quads are better. :P

Swizzle
12-27-2005, 05:05 AM
Quads make for better tristripping and run faster, believe it or not, on the PS3.

(emphasis mine)Really? I didn't know that. I thought that any quad is just two tris displayed as a quad. Perhaps someone could clarify this or tell me that I'm wrong and why?

InAction
12-27-2005, 12:11 PM
Really? I didn't know that. I thought that any quad is just two tris displayed as a quad. Perhaps someone could clarify this or tell me that I'm wrong and why?

I would like to know the exact same thing. It's always fun to get a clarification. :)

Omita
12-30-2005, 08:54 PM
Tristripping isn't going to be an easy thing to discuss because it's rather technical, but it's also above my head. But really, its about drawing to a 3D card. You can't efficiantly draw each triangle one at a time, they are rendered in Clumps. Tristriping is part of this process of clumping parts of a model together. Most of this stuff is done by your exported these days.

As for Quads vs Triangles. Typically, unless you are dealing with lower res >3000 polys you are not going to be tweaking triangle and turning edges. The other important issues, is that quads are faster to work with especially for organics. So you want to keep the medium as flexible as possible until the end. Quads are also important for all the Sub-D hi-rest models out there that are used to Bake out Normal maps...

Over all, its far easier to go from Quads to Tri's then Tri's to Quads. :)

InAction
12-31-2005, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the head-up. The mesh does look cleaner with quads as well no? :P

Confracto
12-31-2005, 06:59 PM
anyone who's had any questions on this thread should read this!

http://www.ericchadwick.com/examples/provost/byf1.html

it explains tri-stripping, and every other isssue behind 3d optimization.
while some of it can be heavy stuff, trust me, slug through it, you'll pick up so many good tips.

personally, I've found that I use quads most of the time, and when I can, but I don't avoid triangles.

CGTalk Moderation
12-31-2005, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.