PDA

View Full Version : After Effecrs Wishlist

pixelpimp
11-26-2002, 07:19 AM
I wanted to see what other people would like to see in Adobe After Effects. I am speaking of new features or improvments to old features. Like why isn't there a Swatch palette, Actions or "Truer" 3D world (like combustion?). I like to hear what rumors, gossip, or sutlebutt you have on After Effects. And after you have it written here you can just copy and paste it onto Adobe Feedback site.

pixelpimp
11-26-2002, 07:24 AM
I know I misspelled the thread...........ahhh I meant to do that.

SheepFactory
11-26-2002, 07:47 AM
I would love to have a Combustion like interface.

After FX interface feels cluttered as soon as you start adding a couple of layers and\or have a couple of windows open.

And a little bit better mask editing wont hurt either.

derErschaffer
11-26-2002, 09:57 AM
e.g.

a smooth motion blur...

more settings by the path text...like non jitter effects but where i can move the letters...or something like that...:)

another particel effects...like in DF...

maybe a better interface but its ok...

and so on...:)

DarkBane
11-26-2002, 10:56 AM
I would have to say the biggest issue for me the timeline. Even if you just have a layer or two, its very clustered once you expand the heirarchy of options for each layer.

It's very frustrating when it comes to working on a large project.

arvid
12-09-2002, 08:54 AM
Just use the "über-key" as Cris & Trish calls it :) Hitting U will expaind only what's keyframed, and I almost never need anything else. Most commonly I use T R P for opacity, rotations and positions, set the keys, then his U to see all keyframes, that's not cluttered at all, and that's what makes it so great for motiondesign.

too bad my wishlist of a billion items was eradicated in the rollback :hmm:

shoo
12-09-2002, 02:03 PM
Speed is fine but I need :

"A more robust 3D enviroment" in detail a more complex one. Like on professionel video systems from discreet. Anyway they also don't have a real 3D environment. Can't they just take the 3D environment from 3D Studio and put it into AFX? :thumbsup:

skidd
12-10-2002, 12:22 AM
more "HIGH END"... that's it.

like a nice MOTION BLUR, a nice Chorma Key (we all need a plugin to work fine in AE), a particle system (more Fast and more resources), the shortcuts, the methods of the screen, that be great...
the 3D module: the tools and the views are so sux :].

we don't need scripts "Actions"

:thumbsup: see yah!

ps: i'm sorry if my english is bad, it's not my native languague.

mikeboers
12-10-2002, 01:01 AM
We need B-Splines for rotoscoping!!

Oh, and a histogram for setting the levels in the 'Color Difference' plugin would be nice.

How about being able to move the position of an effect a given amount, and move all of it's keys the same... would make motion tracking a bit more useful. (I know you can just copy it into Excel... but I'm kinda lazy ;) )

Can't think of anything else... for now! :beer:

pixelpimp
12-10-2002, 05:29 AM
I don't do much rotoin'. Mainly motion graphics. what is this tip about pasting in Excel? Do you paste all your keyfrme into Excel some how and change something? Anyone happen to hear any good rumors on AE 6.0. Just throwing that out there. I goingto complie this reply and send a mass email to Adobe. I going stick it to the man. Who am I kidding. I talikng about the guys who keep ****ing up Photoshop with every revision. I can't wait for Gimp and Film Gimp to be OS X native w/o X11. Keep the post kuming via the revoultion. I wish for a good for spell checker!!!

mikeboers
12-10-2002, 07:46 PM
You can copy all of your keyframes (only one channel at a time) into Excel (or any spreadsheet program for that matter), modify the data however you want, copy the spreadsheet, and you can paste it back into AE as keyframes...

:p

arvid
12-11-2002, 11:02 AM
or notepad... i use that for retargeting copied transformation keys

1armedScissor
12-15-2002, 01:36 AM
It sounds like alot of the requests that people have so far, are already part of combustion. maybe they should think of switching.

jussing
12-17-2002, 08:56 AM
'Yello, all.

I want the tracking (as in: moving one plate based on movement in another) to work like this:

step 1) you place the plate to be MOVED exactly as you want it... subpixel placement, perfect rotation and all.

step 2) you then go into the tracking dialogue for the other plate, and select track points (as you do today).

step 3) AE will then apply the tracking data to the plate RELATIVE TO ITS STARTING POSITION, and not ABSOLUTE, as it is today, which is IMHO completely useless.:surprised

I think that's typical for most Adobe applications: they've implemented all the really difficult parts, such as the tracking (which must have been a real bitch to code), but sadly the interface sux, which leaves the cool code pretty useles.

Cheers,
- Jonas

arvid
12-17-2002, 11:53 AM
use precomps to do an offset of the tracked layer.. yech..

cool code you say? IT SUCKS!!! not multithreaded and extremely slow with or without multithreading. not just filters, everything is slow. i wish i dont have to use it again ;)

jussing
12-17-2002, 01:17 PM
[opacity] If I use precomps for that purpose, won't I get pixel artifacts from that? (ie, first rotating the plate opposite for compensation, then rotating it back in tracking...nasty)

And as for the cool code, I was talking about the algorithmic parts - such as doing an algorithm for tracking, etc. Those parts of compositing - which I would call the real challenge of making a compositing package, in terms of computer science - are implemented in AE, they've just managed to wrap it up in annoying interfaces, relative tracking instead of absolute tracking, no multithreading etc. So yeah, the compositing purpose code is really cool, I'd say.

- Jonas

jeferichardson
12-19-2002, 05:39 PM
I really hate to animate in AE. Combustion has a easy functions. It would be nice to have bezie keyframes with handles.

Anyways Animating in AE sucks.

arvid
12-20-2002, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by jussing
[opacity] If I use precomps for that purpose, won't I get pixel artifacts from that? (ie, first rotating the plate opposite for compensation, then rotating it back in tracking...nasty)
- Jonas

indeed... it sucks bigtime, but thats the "solution" :annoyed:

1armedScissor
12-23-2002, 02:44 PM
jeferichardson : "I really hate to animate in AE. Combustion has a easy functions. It would be nice to have bezie keyframes with handles. "

actaully Ae does have bezier keyframes with handles. take a look again.

however I do agree with you. I also prefer to animate with combustion. personal preference really

tchook
01-07-2003, 07:41 PM
1 a real paint in ae will be very very apreciate(with editable shortcuts).

2 the ability to transform bitmap mask into bezier shapes

3 natural splines (like in commotion)

4 generate an inner splines and an outer spline from a master
splines

5 the ability to recover commotion splines (maybe its possible)

------yes i have problem with splines--------------

4 to trak several points in one pass (scale/rotate/corner pin etc..)

shadow
01-25-2003, 11:59 AM
I would like to see the preview-output through firewire.

Also more integration with premiere (and other NLE's) would be great. For instance you [right-click > edit in AE..] on a video or image-seq on the premiere timeline and you have that piece of video in your AE-timeline. And then after working in AE you can say [export to premiere] were you would be asked if you want to render stuff before you return and if you want to keep the connection with the AE file.

And I agree with a lot of you: the interface needs to have a (combustion-like) make-over.

dg
01-29-2003, 03:25 AM
Better Tracking
Ability of tracking mask points
Better 3D engine and interface
A Faster renderer
Better Schematic View, at least one that have some utility
Viewing outside the frame for 3D stuff
Better integration with photoshop layer effects
wow a integrated mokey...hehe!

Well for a 30sec thinking, that's it

:beer:

Peter Reynolds
02-04-2003, 03:32 PM
I'd have to agree with Sheep Factory - when you need to work fast, the Adobe cluttered interface style soon becomes tiresome.

I'd prefer a C2 like interface, or better yet, a total node approach, like Shake. Love to see the same approach with photoshop too.

jussing
02-05-2003, 06:11 AM
I did a color difference keying the other day... and the windows where you can pick the "inside"/"ouside" areas, is like, 50% of original footage size :surprised

M-kay... that makes sense.... -How's that for precision work! -or, wait... No, correction, actually it doesn't make sense.

Again, they made the heavy code that does all the tricky parts, but it's screwed up in the interface...

Cheers,
- Jonas

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.