PDA

View Full Version : realistic hedges

Kjack
12-24-2005, 08:42 PM
Hiya,

I made a post about cleaning edges earlier today, I thought I would post something a bit more generalised.

Ive been trying to create hedges that look authentic. I find that just using a box with a texture doesnt look quite right. The main problem is that the edges are too sharp, there are no leaves sticking out. Also in photos the hedges look a little fluffy.

I want to try and recreate all these features but feel a bit limited with my materials experience.

So far ive tried to create a opacity map, but that didnt work becuase since its a 3 dimensional object. Ive also tried using the hair plugin but that takes up too much resources.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Creation255
12-27-2005, 08:29 PM
Hello,
I had the same problem when i first started trying to create a realistic tree. I used Max but it might help you what ever package your using.
What i did was I ended up modelling and texturing a single leaf shape then using a particle cloud with a sphere as the emmiter. This creates a load of instanced leaves within the constraints of the sphere. I also added a bit of noise to the sphere so it wasnt such a uniform circle. Then also beacuse your using a particle system you can animate wind and things using spacewarps.

Hope this helps
Creation

dbates
12-27-2005, 08:38 PM
Not sure what app you're using, but perhaps paint FX would help?

Kjack
12-28-2005, 11:58 AM
Hello,
I had the same problem when i first started trying to create a realistic tree. I used Max but it might help you what ever package your using.
What i did was I ended up modelling and texturing a single leaf shape then using a particle cloud with a sphere as the emmiter. This creates a load of instanced leaves within the constraints of the sphere. I also added a bit of noise to the sphere so it wasnt such a uniform circle. Then also beacuse your using a particle system you can animate wind and things using spacewarps.

Hope this helps
Creation

Hi Creation,

Normally this would have worked, unfortunatly I am dealing with a mammoth scene. I am trying to cut down on as many process intensive graphics where possible.

Ive tried to use an alpha map on the borders and its starting to look interesting. Ive attached an image.

http://www.vitalstate.co.uk/krish/hedge-disc.jpg

This seems to work well, but the sides still look a little flat. Im trying to find a way round it.

Not sure what app you're using, but perhaps paint FX would help?

Hi dbates,

Ive never heard of paint FX, could you explain more?

Stiegh
01-03-2006, 05:48 PM
Hey Hiya,

Try to use the texture with an opacity map on a single poly and scatter that using some variation on the scale. Use enough duplicates to create a sence of volume.

Cheers

cb43569
01-06-2006, 03:47 PM
If it's possible with your software, you can try displacement and bump mapping (works for me). Apart from that, I can only suggest you try modelling it, which would be a long and hard process.

dbates
01-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Hi dbates,

Ive never heard of paint FX, could you explain more?

Paint FX is a Maya tool that uses the Artisan brush set to "paint" meshes and tubes on the model directly. It is often used for grass, trees, foliage, etc. I am by no means knowledgeable about paintFX, but maybe you could create a hedge-shaped primitive object and paint leaves on it?

CGTalk Moderation
01-06-2006, 09:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.