PDA

View Full Version : old film skipping effect

tal flint
11-26-2002, 05:26 AM
Hi
i'm working on an old Locomotive animation.i have the old film look but what i need now is making the film "skip" a couple of times like it does when you play some old film in an old projector.

anybody knows how to do that ?

BTW - here's a link to the animation.8 Meg DIVX 5

http://www.tal-flint.com/animations/Loco_test_003.avi

thanks

derErschaffer
11-26-2002, 09:49 AM
it looks old...:) ...more older..?

DarkBane
11-26-2002, 10:52 AM
I'm not familiar with all of the features in AE, but for getting a choppy look by just skipping a few frames I would just throw the animation into Adobe Premiere and literally cut out the frames that you want to skip.

Or if your using a sequence of images, just get rid of the frames you want.

That seems like the easiest way to me, instead of using an effect in AE, but I'm sure that a more experienced After Effects user will tell you differently.

I'm writing this as I'm downloading your move. I'm on broadband and it's still taking forever, your server must be slow.

tal flint
11-26-2002, 12:34 PM
i don't want to skip farmes - what i want to do is make the whole movie "roll" up while it plays.

hope that makes sense :p

puddlefish
11-26-2002, 12:42 PM
there's a filter called 'aged film' which does exactly what you're looking for. i'm not sure who makes it, but if you can get your hands on it it's a really handy tool.

Fede
11-26-2002, 01:58 PM
Hey

I use Combustion so i wouldn't really know in AE, but try this it's an idea :lightbulb .

Make a copy of the layer with the footage you want to skip, move it down horizontally so that it's at the base of the other layer no go forward to say 30 frames.

Turn on the the animate button and move your first layer up horizontally so that it's at the top just out of the comp.
Move the layer at the bottom to the centre of the comp.

Not sure if the keyrfames in AE work with curves and stuff but set both layers end keys to loop.

Play with the speed of the clips and how ever far you go forward in the timeline for the animation. the more forward you go the slower the clips will move up.

Add white lines across the comp moving up or down if you want to make it look as if it's rewinding or fastforwarding.

Good luck

webweapon
11-26-2002, 03:14 PM
you can get AGED FILM by DIGIEFFECTS off kazaa or somewhere.

Fede
11-26-2002, 03:35 PM
Pardon me if i'm wrong, but i don't believe it's free.

So if I am correct please do not post messages of that sort on this board webweapon:shame:

If i'm wrong i apologise in advance.

froggyplat
11-26-2002, 04:21 PM
tal flint: use motion sketch to do this. it will record position changes for your layer in real time. there was a great tutorial in computer arts magazine in their "special effects" issue some time ago. i don't know if that tutorial is online but you can check at www.computerarts.co.uk

webweapon
11-26-2002, 06:02 PM
FEDE, it is free but only cuz it's a demo. The full version would cost ya.

pixel_pimp3d
11-27-2002, 12:41 AM
digieffects Delirium - DE LooseSprocket creates a really good film effect. It's what you would see if you were in a theater and the projectionist sucked...like in high school. I how digieffects comes out with a new series of plug-ins.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.