PDA

View Full Version : Skelegons-heirchy-rigging question

Carm3D
11-26-2002, 04:13 AM
Hi.. I'll try to be brief.

When I bring in my skelegons, all is well... But each cluster of bones needs to be re-organized as to whom is parented to what..

After I make the shoulder connected to the scapula, and the scapula connected to the clavicle, etc... Things start to melt. Points move around where they're not supposed to be..

I'm using Parent in place, and trying to re-rest the bones on frame 0.. Nothing helps the melting effect.

Is it critical that all skelegons touch eachother to make one giant skeleton structure? Or is there a way of re-associating the skeleton's heirchy without having your points melt on you?

Thanks so much!

Pulling my hair out,

Carm

mohh
11-26-2002, 04:24 AM
Post a screenie to see this melting effect. It sounds as if you missed a few points while setting your weight maps.

its837
11-26-2002, 04:26 AM
bones do not have to touch eachother to be in a hierachy or how ever you spell that

sounds like your doing it the right way if parent in place is turned on and when you parent the bones none of them move then they shouldn't "melt"

what exactly do you mean bye melt

have you done anything else in the scene before starting to parent?

sorry for no real help

-cheesehead

Carm3D
11-26-2002, 04:36 AM
Okay here it is....

Carm3D
11-26-2002, 04:38 AM
There are other things in the scene.. (Lights, IK Controller nulls, etc) But this is all I did with the character.. Everything is being done at frame 0.

Mohh, it shouldn't matter about missing points in weight maps, because she hasn't been animated yet.

mohh
11-26-2002, 04:42 AM
I see, I thought that you meant trailing points when you said your mesh was melting. I'm not sure what's going on there, sorry.

Facial Deluxe
11-26-2002, 06:44 AM
At frame 0
Deactivate all bones
Place them move / parent everybody
when done Select all bones, hit record rest position.

Now bones should be activated and life is easy...

Carm3D
11-26-2002, 07:31 AM
Facial:

Thanks for the suggestion... I'm still trying to implement it..

Is this the r key? If not, where is this button?

Do I need to do this for bones that I don't want to be ultimately "active?"

Facial Deluxe
11-26-2002, 07:44 AM
Layout / Objects /rec rest pos

Be sure :
1 You have no keyframes, except the ones at frame 0
2 you do that at frame 0

-Select all bones hit "bones active" (to deactivate (toggle))
-Parent/move etc..
-Select all bones again, hit rec rest pos. All bones are now activated with their new rest position/rotation
-Select the bones you don't want to be activated (if so), hit "bones active" to deactivate/toggle.

Do I need to do this for bones that I don't want to be ultimately "active?" for mind safety, yes...

Carm3D
11-26-2002, 08:45 AM
Hey cool Facial! That worked!

I'll name my first two children after you.

SplineGod
11-26-2002, 08:52 AM
Skelegons have to be head to tail if you want them to already be parented properly once you convert them in layout. If you break the skelegon chain by unwelding one skelegon from another then it is no longer parented. You can simply weld the skelegon back to the other or do your parenting in layout.
If you choose to reparent in layout make sure youre on frame zero and have parent in place turned on or else the bones will jump out of place and screw things up.
You shouldnt experience any problems but if you do just select all the bones using the scene editor and hit the r (rest) key. That will fix any weird distortions that may occur.

Carm3D
11-26-2002, 09:01 AM
Wow that bullfrog on your home page kicks ass!

Thanks dude.. I really appreciate it.. I am well on my way now.

SplineGod
11-26-2002, 09:07 AM
Thanks!
Im trying to get some footage of it digitized and onto the web. I havent had time. You should see it animated :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.