PDA

View Full Version : "Look at what Katrina washed in!"

SantoAnderson
12-23-2005, 05:34 PM
Hey fellow CG-artists. First time making a serious CGTALK post attempt. I've got some good experience with 3d animation and model building. But I've been restricted to slow programs (Hash AM) and even slower computers. Well, on Sunday I'll be opening up a brand new Alienware m7700 with a 3.8 ghz pentium4 and 3 gigs of memory. My own copy of Maya 7 unlimited and ZBrush 2.0. I'm so friggin excited that I can't help but storyboard and layout my scene:

It's Forrest Gump!
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a179/SantoAnderson/gumplayout.jpg

When I found out I was going to receive z-brush I immediately decided that I'd build something big and scaley. And voila.
This will be my first serious personal piece of work in Maya, and due to such I'm going to be asking for lots of help with the interface.
Right now you can see it's just a ten minute google search storyboard thrown together in Photoshop. But I intend to do a semi-realistic scene with all the props in the scene with a couple others I haven't built yet.
Heck, I may even build Lieutenant Dan if I have time! Now I only wish I'd had my equipment for the spectacular contest... bummer.

Just be warned I'm a noober, not Picasso.

gunslingerblack
12-23-2005, 06:00 PM
who in the world are your parents...and can i have some of that money

just the fact that you are getting maya unlimited for christmas, not to mention a brand new alienware computer holy crap, i dont even think my christmas presents will have been over 500 dollars EVER from my fam.

merry effin christmas man im totally jealous

SantoAnderson
12-23-2005, 06:04 PM
Actually the gifts were a compromise. I'm paying half through student aid. And I bought Maya unlimited through Academic Superstore with a lovely 6600 dollar discount.

Chems
12-24-2005, 10:51 PM
Getting the programs an the kit is only the start, expect at least 2 years learning curve before your getting specular entry level works. Cant wait to see your storyboard idea turn into 3d thou.

ragdoll
12-24-2005, 11:00 PM
if you're a student you can get it with a huuuuuge discount...

like $400 for maya 7 unlimited... from $7000, so yeah, huge discount... :D

that's how i got mine...

it is a good investment, so better make good use of it!

look forward to seeing posts of your work here... :wip:

happy holidays to all!!!

-rj

Shadow_545
12-25-2005, 05:46 AM
Yes, I'm dreading the day that I'm no longer a student... Hopefully I'll get a good job or something...

tigerpaper
12-25-2005, 07:00 AM
wow, awesome idea! I can't wait to see forrest gump as a model :bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
12-25-2005, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.