PDA

View Full Version : Making plugins for Messiah:Animate

motorsep
12-23-2005, 03:27 PM
After period of figuring out what set of software should I use for game development, decided to go with Wings3D for modeling and Messiah:Animate for rigging/weighting and animating.
The questions are:
1. Does SDK comes with Messiah:Animate ?
2. Is there a way to export mesh with bones and animation from Messiah:Animate to .md3 file (Quake3 model file format), .md5 (Doom3 model file format), .smd (Half-Life 2 model file format), .X (Microsoft DirecX)

I created a thread before about exporting animation from M:A to those file formats and suggestion was to use Milkshape3D as interchange program and .bhv exporter for M:A as the way to export animation. This way is away to long, to many "middle-man" programms.
I just see no point of buying and using software, no matter how great it is, if I can not get data from that software to the format enginew will understand.

Is there a forum for programmer who code for Messiah:Animate?

Can somebody write plugins for me (for credit in the game project, for share profit, etc. option are negotiable)?

JoeCosman
12-23-2005, 10:58 PM
as far as I know, the sdk comes with all versions.

studio pro comes with the develop module, which handles all of the API stuff for you, so all you need to do is modify your main() program, and it handles and writes the other supporting files.

Leebre
12-24-2005, 06:42 AM
as far as I know, the sdk comes with all versions.

studio pro comes with the develop module, which handles all of the API stuff for you, so all you need to do is modify your main() program, and it handles and writes the other supporting files.

Maybe you need to say "studio pro will come with the develop module.." since it doesn't at the moment.

motorsep
12-24-2005, 02:51 PM
So there no way to write plugins to current version of Messiah:Animate ?
Who is falmiliar with writing plugins for M:A ?

SpikeWorx
12-24-2005, 03:19 PM
So there no way to write plugins to current version of Messiah:Animate ?
Who is falmiliar with writing plugins for M:A ?
Of course it is possible ATM.
See FAQ for more information about MessiahDevelop -> http://www.projectmessiah.com/x4/messiahdevelop_firstlook.htm

motorsep
12-24-2005, 04:48 PM
"messiah:develop is an integrated component of messiah:studio Professional" it's a quote from their website. Let's see a price tag for M:S Pro.. ~$1000 !!! O_o I don't have such money.. As I mentioned before, I am an _indie_ game developer. I don't have big budget.
So now basically the question is _who_ can write plugin for Messiah:Animate for share proffit, credit in the game or maybe even pay-per-plugin basis?

Leebre
12-25-2005, 04:23 PM
motorsep, the pro version with the integrated develop module has not been released yet. If you look on the products page in the comparison chart it still says "coming soon". But the already existing sdk documentation and scripting examples provide quite a bit of info for developing plug-ins. I don't think there are too many making a profit off of messiah plug-ins at the moment. Really, the only one I know of is Thomas Hezle's Art of Noise shaders and he's stopped developing for messiah because it wasn't financially feasible.

ThomasHelzle
12-30-2005, 09:06 AM
Everybody can write plugins for messiah and there are no costs involved other than buying the software (equal what version). For anything that involves textures I would recommend Studio though. Animate is a dead branch IMO.
The current state is, that you get (partly commented) SDK headers and some outdated docs and have to work yourself in from there.

The only available exporter from your list is the direct x one, but it seems to be flaky since in my tests, it only worked with the direct x player from microsoft, but all other software I tried to import the files into, showed massive misbehaviour like wrong framerates, bad deformation etc.

The .x exporter is rather simple and I doubt it will give you all you need for game development.
While writing importers is almost impossible since the SDK can't create points or polygons (or any geometry), writing exporters is possible (As PointOven shows). But you have to do a lot yourself, and figuring out how things work can take months when pmG is as unresponsive as usual.

I wouldn't recommend messiah as a development platform.

Cheers,

Nichod
12-30-2005, 10:07 AM
Hopefully this will change when develop is released.

ThomasHelzle
12-30-2005, 10:35 AM
As long as the underlying SDK isn't improved by quite a bit, I think develop may make developing much nicer, easier and faster, especially for beginners, but the basic limitations will stay the same.

So far, the SDK is cool for basic shaders and for point level deformation and some other things, but it shows the same limits as messiah itself. You can't improve messiah outside of the nice little sandbox that pmG laid out.
As long as you stay inside the box it is easy, fast and fun, but don't try to leave the box without hitting massive solid walls.
A good and versatile SDK for a 3D app should allow to improve exactly the areas that the original developers didn't invest as much time into but that may be needed by a specific company or workflow. That's the whole point of a SDK for me: allowing to code the stuff that isn't already there.
"Messiah is no modeller" was an answer I got when asking for the creation of geometry from the SDK... So no custom importers, no RealFlow plugin, no procedural meshes, no custom cloning, no geometry hair...

The best way to get a feature into messiah currently is, to pay someone to provide Taron with a CG project that requires exactly that feature ;)

Cheers and a nice 2006 everybody!

Wegg
12-30-2005, 03:52 PM
no procedural meshes, no custom cloning, no geometry hair...

:sad:

thats too bad.

I have been able to emit/clone objects as particles. . . so it seems like it is in there. . . somewhere. . .

CGTalk Moderation
12-30-2005, 03:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.