PDA

View Full Version : Corrupt CS2 PSD File

TerianSilva
12-23-2005, 02:37 AM
Hi,

I have a problem with a PSD File. I was working on a 4096^2 Texture when my computer crashed. After restarting, Photoshop says that the file is not compatible with the Version and itcould therefore not open it. The computer did not crashed during the saving process. I was just drawing.

It has about 100 Layers with several groups. The actually funny thing is, that it is possible to open the file in 3d studio (merged layers) or ACDSee but not within photoshop. Image Ready opens it but did not load everything. I need to have access to the layers. The Recoverytool "Advanced Photoshop Repair" just saves every layer in an extra psd file. That are about 100 layers and the layers are recovered wrong.

Does anybody knows a way to get this file back to work or is it hopeless? Well, I hope there is a way.

Thank you for an answer!

Regards,
Marcus

jcorpe
12-23-2005, 08:22 AM
I know this is not very scientific but I would try to copy it, rename it and make sure it ends with the psd extension. Or maybe remove it from the drive via disk, rename it and put it back on. I know this sounds dumb but at this point, you have nothing to lose. If you know someone else who uses CS or CS 2, maybe they might be able to open it and resave it for you. If you have Acrobat Standard (not Reader), could that program open it up with layers? If it could, maybe you could save it as a PDF (compression worries?) and have Photoshop open the PDF.

TerianSilva
12-23-2005, 09:54 AM
Thanks for your hints. I found a way to recover most of the data with relative less rework.

I opened the file within Adobe ImageReady. It opened it but stopped after a while and provides an error message. Nevertheless, the programm opened the file with all groups and layers but some of the layers are just empty now. Luckily, I named every Layer so I know the function of them. Then I resaved the file. Works in Photoshop now but some layers are screwed as expected.
Well, to get the missing layers I tried to load the file with the free available "The Gimp" Software and it did fine. No blending options available of course but they were still existent within the ImageReady File.

It is not an optimal solution but it is ok. I can go with it.

Marcus

BlueFlare
12-23-2005, 04:58 PM
http://www.photoshop-repair.com/

Jack Youngblood
12-23-2005, 09:30 PM
As to why the file became corrupt whilst you were not even saving it....

power surges, corrupt/suspect hardware (ram etc) and directory trouble have all been blamed for such things.

CGTalk Moderation
12-23-2005, 09:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.