PDA

View Full Version : Painting brushes, Help

gfx-ACro
12-22-2005, 02:56 PM
Hello, I am just started to paint in photoshop now. after 3 years :P.

I dont know what brushes dinamics to use, or any thing that releated to painting brushes.

If some one can please help it will be great.

-Thenks vit.

BlueFlare
12-22-2005, 08:07 PM
Did you have a look at the book:

Digital Character Design and Painting. The Photoshop CS Edition

(link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1584503408/103-4771452-5777437?v=glance&n=283155 )

I only talks a little about making your own brushes, but the book itself can be very useful for beginners who start painting in Photoshop. :)

gfx-ACro
12-23-2005, 11:04 AM
OH thenx man, I think I got this book somewhere I better look for him now, thenx.

Jack Youngblood
12-27-2005, 06:45 PM
most important are the simple ones: flow and softness. I rarely use others unless I am doing something more 'graphic'. In the brush pallet the size dynamic is the most useful.

eyeronik
12-27-2005, 10:56 PM
I guess you mean the opacity setting when you say softness? Or maybe not? I myself find it hard to blend things in even when using the flow setting, when you do a bit of painting then let go, add more on top it never blends in so I dont see how to do this really without smudge tool. I mean do you keep changing the settings of the flow and opacity to try to blend colours? Or do you just change the opacity to lighter or darker etc.

Jack Youngblood
12-29-2005, 01:32 AM
I guess you mean the opacity setting when you say softness? Or maybe not? I myself find it hard to blend things in even when using the flow setting, when you do a bit of painting then let go, add more on top it never blends in so I dont see how to do this really without smudge tool. I mean do you keep changing the settings of the flow and opacity to try to blend colours? Or do you just change the opacity to lighter or darker etc.

Actually no. I meant Hardness (sorry). Easily available in the brush contextual menu.

Personally I never ever use opacity. Try setting flow to 1 or 2. this mimics dry brushing and glazing in real (oil) painting.

Also I sometimes use a clone tool for a bit of variance. And blur (sometimes via a selection because the blur tool is so very weak).

I was a painter for twenty years until I started using Photoshop. Never looked back.

gfx-ACro
12-29-2005, 04:04 PM
Thenx guys., :D

As for now I use pen *pressure~* daynamic :P.

Thenx I will try the oil one.

CGTalk Moderation
12-29-2005, 04:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.