PDA

View Full Version : how can i begin??

origin.of
12-22-2005, 12:38 PM
how I can begin? if i wanted to make a program like modo, maya, 3d studio, cinema or others or a plugin for the rendering?

ps i know c++

complete
12-28-2005, 09:09 PM
how I can begin? if i wanted to make a program like modo, maya, 3d studio, cinema or others or a plugin for the rendering?

ps i know c++

How much time do you have?

origin.of
12-29-2005, 09:26 AM
How much time do you have?

one entire life

hprogrammer
01-07-2006, 12:11 PM
one entire life
First of all,choose your platform:
Windows,linux or MacOSX
Then choose your interface:
OpenGL or DirectX
Note:The Maya interface or Modo or any other applications is OpenGL
And most of 3DGames use DirectX
If you want to work with pre-rendered images and calculations,i think OpenGL is your final choise but if you want to work with Real-Time calculations ,use DirectX.
You said that you know c++.
The Microsoft Visual C++ Compiler is very nice.
If you know c++ very good ( Object-Oriented Programming ),
Start your work.

smg_
01-08-2006, 11:03 AM
If you want to write a plugin for any of your mentioned titles, a good starting point would be aquiring the SDK for it.

Critterslayer
01-13-2006, 03:56 AM
are you saying that you want to "make" a program like 3ds max/maya? Those are huge programs written by dozens of people, the source to which is millions of lines of code. Thats like trying to build a skyscraper all by yourself.

mikepkes
01-16-2006, 10:43 PM
It was said to choose OpenGL/DirectX.... as one of the first (other than OS) things to think about...

Honestly, you want to think about a few things first:

1. Why are you making your own? (for fun? to improve upon something? to create a new workflow? money? etc)

that should help determine other questions, such as platform. if you are merely doing it for fun, then dont worry about cross-platform, do whatever platform you are comfortable with, however if you are doing it for a greater end-product, focus around a professional platform (such as *nix) and expand it elsewhere, that way it benefits the high-end customers.

2. Will you be making your own renderer?

there are many renderers out there, and some of them have published standards, such as RenderMan. Or will this application be intended to export geometry/other data into other programs? My personal hope is that anyone making a new 3d application will use the renderman standard.

3. How familiar are you with 3d geometric functions and calculations? If not, you may want to open up a few math books, because you'll be encountering a lot of it.

there are about 1,000 other numbers, and I could go on, but that should get you on the right track. Its very hard. But good luck.

MrDev
01-17-2006, 01:51 AM
This is a difficult thing to decide on.

Lets start off with this, OpenGL is supported by almost every system, Which makes the rendering engine easy to port for cross platform use.

Direct X has been called by many programmers a choppy little devil to deal with, wile it can be easyer at times the optimization line is a bugger. In comparision with OpenGL they can do the same in a good number of cases but some times you will find strong points in different hardware.

A heavy math background is Important.

But any way buddy good luck.

::EDIT::
I'm sorry I though he was making a realtime 3d engine.

hprogrammer
01-17-2006, 11:01 AM
FIRST:The first version of Maya was developed by two persons.
SECOND:Think about future.if you start to creating your own program,about two years later you have your own and you can develop it by yourself.
THIRTH:If the Pixar's team were using Maya,now we don't have renderman to talk about it.
FOURTH:If you use other softwares,you can't develop them and you have wait for it's new versions.
Thank you for reading my message and my english is poor.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 11:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.