PDA

View Full Version : Preview of Mark Andrew's Colossus (Comic from Pixar Animator)

RobertoOrtiz
12-22-2005, 03:32 AM
Quote:
"A knight, whose soul is trapped inside a metal monster called Colossus, lives out an immortal existence slaying evil creatures. Until one day a twisted, evil paladin wielding enchanted weapons arrives in the Kingdom with his own agenda. Their paths cross in a steel pounding, armor glinting no holds barred battle that will change a Kingdom forever.
Colossus, a March-debuting OGN from Image Comics, is the creation of Mark Andrews, the director of the upcoming Pixar animated short, One Man Band. Andrews is also part of the E-Ville Press gang, a group of Pixar employees who band together to create and produce their own unique brand of comics."

>>Link<< (http://www.newsarama.com/ImageComics/Colossus/ColossusAndrews.htm)

-R

Unled
12-22-2005, 05:20 AM
wow! This looks awsome. I'm going to have to track this down.

thanks for the heads up

SheepFactory
12-22-2005, 05:22 AM
Been waiting for this to come out for months. Cant wait to read it.

MisfitAnimator
12-22-2005, 05:40 AM
Art looks great.
I think they should change the dialogue text to a hand written font.

deadplant155
12-22-2005, 03:31 PM
sorry to go against apparent public opinion here...but don't those drawings look terrible? i mean, the character designs are unnatractive, the shading doesn't even stay in the lines, the line quality is poor, the texture just looks like a bunch of half assed scribbles. and the dialogue is so bad. "The Gate Is Breached!" "We Are Overrun!".....are these the actual comics? or just thumbnails or mockups? well..other than that and the heck of a copyright battle he's gonna have with marvel (character and comic named collosus, they're both taken already), i hope this turns out alright, cuz the comic industry could use some new ideas...

AA_Tyrael
12-22-2005, 04:02 PM
i agree... ,they dont look so polished as other comics but it could be just an artistic touch ?

Or they are not the final?

RobertoOrtiz
12-22-2005, 04:06 PM
sorry to go against apparent public opinion here...but don't those drawings look terrible? i mean, the character designs are unnatractive, the shading doesn't even stay in the lines, the line quality is poor, the texture just looks like a bunch of half assed scribbles. and the dialogue is so bad. "The Gate Is Breached!" "We Are Overrun!".....are these the actual comics? or just thumbnails or mockups? well..other than that and the heck of a copyright battle he's gonna have with marvel (character and comic named collosus, they're both taken already), i hope this turns out alright, cuz the comic industry could use some new ideas...

It is a style, and to be honest when you have to do 122+ pages in a few months,
that style is very understandable.

You should check out the art of Guy Davies (correction, thanks Sheep!) in Hellboy BRPD
http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/preview.php?theid=10-782

-R

SheepFactory
12-22-2005, 04:12 PM
i second roberto ,

i personally prefer the BPRD's art to the highly polished marvel comics , they have a rawness and energy to them i dont see in the cleaned up highly detailed drawings.

By the way Roberto the artwork is by Guy Davis not Arcudi , Arcudi writes the story.

deadplant155
12-22-2005, 04:21 PM
thanks for the replies, and not hating me for not getting it :P
i'm kinda tired of the highly polished look of a lot of comics today too...and that one you linked too looked really cool, though you could only see small version of the comic. There's just something about this colossus one that strikes me as unprofessional, or unfinished. i didn't realize the deadline was quite that extreme either, but maybe they should cut back on the pages so they don't have to sacrifice quality? anway, thanks for explaining, it makes a little more sense now. :)

Flog
12-22-2005, 04:57 PM
It is a style he is going for. He looks like he did a more storyboard, raw style of comic. I liked it. Dialogue does need a tad bit more work. Sounds like my dialogue and my dialogue is bad sometimes. See below as to my suckage at dialogue. (Story, characters by me, art by Carsten)

So there are many styles and that is what this is. I guess art is in the eye of the beholder.

http://www.longhairproductions.com/vagabondarts/images/kali_page_4_clr.jpg

laureato di arte
12-22-2005, 09:40 PM
It is a style he is going for. He looks like he did a more storyboard, raw style of comic. I liked it. Dialogue does need a tad bit more work. Sounds like my dialogue and my dialogue is bad sometimes. See below as to my suckage at dialogue. (Story, characters by me, art by Carsten)

So there are many styles and that is what this is. I guess art is in the eye of the beholder.

http://www.longhairproductions.com/vagabondarts/images/kali_page_4_clr.jpg

nice stuff there keep it up, I must say I love "you son of a beast and a banshee" I have to right that one down and use it as an insult on a later date, what software did u use by the way? and has anybody heard of a software that caters mainly for comic book artists, wil tools to create boxes ect ect, it would have been a good idea to create software like that for my final year project, but alas, time is of the essence.

DB3D
12-22-2005, 09:54 PM
I think the most influential comic artist to come around in a long time has to be ashley wood. His stuff jsut amazes me. Check the metal gear solid comics he is doing.

CGTalk Moderation
12-22-2005, 09:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.